Thread: Adventure: The Tale of Two - Sa16+
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #108 (permalink)
princess of*hp*
Ravenclaw
Hinkypunk

Graduated

Diagon Alley Employee:
Amadeus Alfred Kipling
Owl Post Office Assistant
x7
Lady Lem|DJ Melfoy|Braedeus ♥ Stumble|Bebé Melón|B2|Andee & Melsse|Melephone

Ch 28
Agyness fidgeted as she had done throughout the whole flight on the unfamiliar vehicle that was the airplane. She was sure of nothing except for the fact that she might be making the biggest mistake of her life. She immediately swatted the thought away: this trip, beginning at King’s Cross station, was necessary for her own mental health. However, this healing getaway had become detrimental once Agyness had begun to fall into a rut with Marcus. For his sake as well as hers, she had no choice but to leave. She knew that she had pulled somewhat of a Draco by surprising her newfound friend by disappearing, but it was better in the long run. He needn’t have become involved with a girl from another country, much less a half-blood witch.

So there she sat, her thumbs twiddling in her lap as the airplane smoothly glided onto the landing strip. Her anxiety stemmed not only from her social state of being but also from her knowledge of muggle customs and transportation. Despite being a half-blood, she had never taken a trip on an airplane, much less by herself. Regardless of having learned of the complicated, winged contraptions in Muggle Studies, her heart pounded at the thought of travelling in anything so prone to failure. She would have much preferred apparation, floo powder, or even flight by broom, but the odds were against her. If Harry, Ron, Hermione, or Draco had bothered to have checked the floo or apparation network, even the radar in the skies, Agyness would have been embarrassed beyond belief. Draco would think her much less of a simple pawn in his successful scheme than a weak little girl who ran from her troubles, and the trio would most likely think the same. Therefore, for the sake of what was left of her damaged reputation, Agyness chose to rough it like a muggle until she was well enough to return to London.

Hastily undoing her seatbelt and tossing her purse on her arm, Agyness quickly made her way off of the intimidating airplane and towards the terminal. As she walked through a pair of sliding glass doors, her heart thudded with fear of the future. She had spent most of her money on her plane ticket and was without a paddle in a sea of people. Attempting to stow away her depressed thoughts for the moment, she slowly approached the curiosity that was the carousel of luggage. Her old trunk from her Hogwarts days had been much too large to have been placed in an overhead compartment in the plane, so Agyness had been made to check her luggage and thus relinquish more of her dismal supply of money. She observed the actions of the other people by the carousel, attempting to copy them as they deftly searched for their own bags and belongings. A sense of relief flooded through her as she spotted her trunk, almost so heavy and large that it could have stopped the revolving rubber belt of luggage. As it reached her, Agyness bent over and attempted to heave it up rather quickly, which only caused her to trip backwards.

Before she knew it, a pair of hands had reached in front of Agyness to grab the falling trunk. Without the added weight, Agyness was able to save herself from an embarrassing situation and her bum from a painful bruise. A raven-haired woman who looked as if she had parted from her youth years before had been the one to lend a helping hand. “Bonjour,” The woman spoke, a soft smile on her painted lips, “Sont vous bien?” Agyness was speechless. Should she attempt to communicate, even though she had no inkling of how to speak French? Seeing her puzzled expression, the woman continued to smile and continued on. “Hello,” She began, her Parisian accent thick yet comprehendible, “Are you alright, mademoiselle?” It was Agyness’ turn to smile, this time out of relief, as she responded, “Yes. Thank you for your help.” She reached forward, grabbing the handle of her trunk as she began to lug it off. This abrupt action did not deter the French madam. “Here,” She reached out to help Agyness carry the load, “I believe I can help you outside to a taxi.” Agyness relented, nodding as she and the stranger carried her trunk through the crowded Parisian terminal.

After passing through another set of sliding glass doors, they finally reached the outside world. Both quickly set the trunk down on the asphalt and took a moment to catch their breath. “So,” the woman began breathlessly, looping a few loose strands of hair behind her ears, “What brings you to Paris? Where are you from?” “Well,” Agyness began, her elbow leaning on her propped trunk as she attempted to invent a reason, “I’m from London. I… I just graduated from school and decided to travel.” “On your own?” The woman looked surprised, her grey eyes widening as her eyebrows rose, the age lines on her forehead becoming more defined. “In a country where you don’t speak ze national language?” Agyness was surprised at the gall that the middle-aged Parisian had. She seemed to see right through Agyness’ ruse.

Sighing, Agyness grimaced and answered. “Yes, and yes. I needed to get away, for my own sake.” Her brown-eyed gaze dropped from the woman’s face to the black asphalt beneath them. It was embarrassing to tell a stranger of one’s troubles, no matter how vaguely exposed they were. Sensing her discomfort, the woman changed her tone from one of demanding inquiry to one of comfort. “I’ve been there before,” The woman sighed herself as she gazed at the passing taxis and cars that zoomed before them in the parking lot. There was a terse silence before the woman spoke again. “I’m Graciela, Gracie for short,” She smiled, her lips parting to reveal yellowed teeth as she stuck out a hand across the propped-up trunk towards Agyness. Turning, Agyness’ gloved hand met Gracie’s as she smiled in return. “Agyness,” She said shortly. “Lovely to make your acquaintance.” As fabric left skin and their hands parted, Gracie began speaking in what was now a more comfortable atmosphere between the two females.

“Where do you plan to stay during your time here?” Gracie inquired as she gazed at Agyness’ face, somewhat jealous of her lack of wrinkles. Biting her lower lip, the younger of the two began, “I’m not sure. I came here on a whim. I’m sure that I could find a hostel of some sort.” Gracie looked mortified. “Nonsense!” She cried, putting her hands on her hips in a most Mrs.Weasley-like manner and surprising Agyness with the motherliness that overtook her appearance. Gracie continued on through Agyness’ flabbergasted expression, “You’re staying with me.” Gracie’s words had a tone of finality to them, but Agyness still couldn’t comprehend the kindness of the stranger. Seeing that Agyness remained astounded, Gracie plowed on, “Don’t worry. I have an apartment in ze city. You’ll love it. Besides, isn’t this ze point of your trip? To have somewhat of an… oh, what’s ze word in English? An adventure, oui?” Agyness was saved from her stupor by Gracie’s final words. It was almost as if Gracie had taken the words straight from the horse’s mouth.

A large grin lightening her solemn features as dimples dotted her cheeks, Agyness nodded and spoke in an eager tone. “Yes… yes! I’d love to. I can’t tell you how much I-” Gracie cut her off as she wordlessly motioned for Agyness to take hold of the other end of the trunk. Having already taken the other side, Gracie promptly waved down a taxi. The lanky cabby quickly hopped out and popped open the trunk of the silver vehicle before scurrying back into the driver’s seat. As Agyness loaded her belongings into the trunk of the car, with Gracie’s assistance, and eventually slammed shut the door of the car, her mind was racing and her heart was pumping.

As Gracie gave rushed instructions in French to the driver, Agyness couldn’t help but grin at her reflection in the rearview mirror of the car. She knew that stepping into a car with a foreign stranger was mental, but hadn’t she already survived Dublin? Besides, this time was different. Agyness was with a woman, an older woman, one who seemed to want to mother her and keep her out of harm’s way. Definitely not a young, rogue Dubliner. As the taxi began to zoom away from the airport, Agyness couldn’t help but smile, her expectations high. Both women seemed to feel the petals of a new relationship begin to bloom.