View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lissy Longbottom
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan (#b8b323)
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

Just to let everyone know, if posting spoilers, it might be nice to put everything under the spoiler cut Even though spoilers are kind of implied when reading movie reviews, some people still don't want to see them even if you put a spoiler warning

SPOILER!!: Rating underneath!

Ok, so here are my little thoughts on the movie

To start off--I don't really care for the Half Blood Prince book at ALL. It was my least favorite of the series, but I think that in the end it made for a pretty good movie.

Things I liked:
-Ron's love potion scene. I was laughing HYSTERICALLY during the entire scene--the words exchanged between Ron and Harry were even similar to the book, which I liked cause that was also my favorite scene in the novel. Rupert was absolutely the BOMB during the whole sequence, especially when he hugged Slughorn. I was all like "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" the whole time

-Tom's portrayal of Malfoy. I'll admit, I'm a bit of a Malfoy fangirl...he's so pathetic and wimpy that I end up feeling sorry for him a lot of the time. Anyways, I'm digressing...I thought Tom played him magnificiently. He was all broody and depressed and jumpy all the time, exactly like they described it in the books. And at the end when he was faced with the struggle of having to kill Dumbledore, I thought he did an AWESOME acting job there.

-Dumbledore's death. One of my main issues with OotP was that you didn't get any time to absorb what happened to Sirius. And then, in this movie, there was hardly any mention to him at ALL. I honestly forgot that Harry was supposed to be all moody and depressed over it (as he should have been). Luckily, in this movie, Dumbledore's death had a much greater impact on the audience, I think. I almost cried, to be honest Especially when they all held their wands up. I was a tad disappointed that they didn't have the funeral but, at least they had SOMETHING.

-Inferi. I see there is some debate to them looking like Gollum from LotR...in all honesty, I think they DO look like Gollum at first, like in the trailer when you only get a glance at it, but once they start dragging Harry under you can see that they're definitely much more human-like than Gollum. There. That's my opinion on that Anyways, they were DEAD creepy and that was some really good special effects there

-Overall plot. As always, they cut a lot of stuff out of the book, but I didn't really miss anything that they cut this time around To me the memories were what made the book boring to me anyways, and it would have been unrealistic to think that they would end up putting ALL the memories in there. We had the ones that we REALLY needed. I think the whole Gaunt storyline would have messed up non-readers, leaving them in the theater like "Whaaaa who are they again?" so I really didn't miss it either. Plus, we know the writers will find a way to explain the cup and such in the next movie--we have two for DH, don't forget, so hopefully some of that time will be devoted to explaining things that were left unexplained in the movies.

-Fenrir Greyback. I know, this is a silly little thing to like, but I just thought he looked really creepy and wolfish and I was impressed, even if he didn't have a very big part. Just thought I'd share my opinion on that

Things I didn't like:
-Umm, Neville only had TWO lines. AND they made him a waiter? I was very disappointed...but then again, that's just me, and I'm a huge Matt fangirl, so everyone else probably doesn't care as much as I do

-The whole scene at the Weasley's where the house catches on fire and Bellatrix and Fenrir just pop out of the blue and start attacking...really now, we're supposed to believe that Harry could just run out into a field after Death Eaters and NOT get captured or something? And since when does the Burrow burn down? The only good thing about the scene was that it introduced us to Tonks/Lupin

-Lavender Brown. There was really nothing WRONG with Lavender and the way she was protrayed, she was actually really good. I think that seeing annoying old Lavender on screen was just irritating for me personally

-They cut out the scene where Cormac knocks Harry out with a bludger. Obviously not a necessary scene, but I thought it would have been funny to see on screen

-There was no flashing sign for U-No-Poo in the Weasley's shop, and that scene was really short and didn't do justice to the awesomeness that is WWW.

So all in all, I thought that the movie was pretty good--better than the book, at least 8 out of 10

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid
Lissy Longbottom is offline   Reply With Quote