View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
ebony_wandson
Ravenclaw
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ebony Wandson
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Lillian Jones
Department of Mysteries
Zombie Hunter Korn-y

I saw the film in 3D at a midnight showing an hour after I'd watched Part 1 in the same cinema (thank you Cineworld...). I was exhausted and drained by the time I got to this film which is why I decided to wait to post my review until I'd seen it a second time and thusly had a little perspective.

I think I am best to split this down into what I did and didn't like seen as trying to talk about it as a whole is overwhelmingly negative aaaaaand still makes me a tad bit hot under the colar.

So without further a-do!

What I hated:

First and foremost for me, I hated the back peddling on Sirius' mirror. That entire scene was poorly thought out, badly constructed. Put simply it was awful writing and even worse of an idea. Why should we have to suffer for their poor foresight? Followed on with the new and "interesting" notion that Harry can hear horcruxes because they couldn't be bothered to devote enough time to the pensieve scenes in HBP? Do me a favour.
Add to that the fact that Harry and V.Diddy can now feel when a horcrux is destroyed??? Really??!?!? How stupid do they think we are? They're creating all sorts of problems for themselves with that one. It sort of makes you wonder if he was enjoying a gentle tickling sensation in Half Blood Prince and Hallows pt 1, doesn't it.

As always the cheesy, vomit enducing speech Neville makes. And do not get me started on Lupin's little ditty. Steve Kloves is a terrible writer. I have said it from the start and I shall repeat it until the end of time. He knows just how to ruin a good script that one does. He's ok when he sticks to Jo's words, but when he's allowed to write his own it sends me reaching for the sick bag. Yuck.

Since when did Voldemort do physical contact? His hugging Draco? Never happen. In fact, I agree with Jo on this one - we're British. We fundamentally do not hug. Our badies certainly don't. Preposterous. Also, it totally ruined the tention present in that scene. Rage.

That laugh Voldemort does. I don't need to say any more.

The fact that way too much time was spent to kill the snake, that way too much time was spent on Harry and Voldemort's battle - I wont lie, I was bored. So much time was wasted on killing the snake and Harry killing V.Diddy; there was nothing wrong with how it was written in the book. Cinematic effect my a*se quite frankly. That time could have been spent at the start, or showing us more of the actual battle. It was woefully neglected.

Snape's memories was too short and disjointed. The end was beautiful, don't get me wrong. I was sobbing but it was still too short.

The entire film is too short

The first half of the film was far too short, it felt rushed; as though the whole production team could not wait to get to the battle and get it over and done with.

- Neville did not get the glory he so deserved, they again made him the kid hanging from the lights in the DADA classroom.

Tonks, Lupin and Fred's death felt glossed over and ignored and when the hell did Lupin have a son - is what you'd be saying if you hadn't read the books.

There was too much humour in the darker parts of the film, it was inappropriate.

Harry sees Ron and Hermione before going to the forest. Need I say more.

V.Diddy kicks and punches Harry...erm.....never happen.

The entire idea of sacrifise was lost. It was so important in the books, so important. It's what it was all about and it was totally left out.

What I did like

- Maggie Smith

- Alan Rickman

-The dragon

- Molly Weasley's line staying in the film

- The way Snape's death was shot - clever and still brutal. Had me jumping in my seat everytime the snake struck

- The kids in the epilogue were great. The epilogue was not.

- Neville

- Luna telling off Harry

- The section with Helena Ravenclaw was great. I really wanted to hear her story, in spite of it not being particularly relevant.

I've seen the film twice now. The first time I hated it and could not recall one thing I had liked. In fact, I disliked it so much, it was below POA, which I really hate. The second time, I reconciled things a bit better and I could see more things that I liked. I sobbed like a baby in actual fact.

On the whole though, no matter how many times I watch this film, I shall remain dissapointed with it; it is too short, it is too rushed. The way they have had to make things up and shoehorn things in to cover up for the mistakes they made in other films to me is unforgivable. They owed it to this film, to us as fans to do the thing properly. I will never truly be able to detach the books from the films and perhaps that is to my detriment but I'm not sorry about it. Not really.

I'll see the film a few more times due to various promises I have made. But it is still not a patch on the books, it never will be. None of them will be. I don't think I am alone when I say that Harry Potter should have been a television series for it really to be done correctly. It makes me think; when you look at Game of Thrones and Camelot and other series like them, if it was just starting now; would that have been what had happened? The money is there and the way that those who made GoT have stuck to the source material is beyond compare.

So much that is important to the story was lost in Deathly Hallows Part 2. Too much for me and too much for most people. It almost makes me wish I had not read the book, everyone I know who hasn't really enjoyed the film. Everyone I know who has read the book has serious misgivings and axes to grind.

It's a crying shame.

Last edited by ebony_wandson; 07-24-2011 at 12:17 PM.
ebony_wandson is offline   Reply With Quote