View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
crookshanks_kitty
Ravenclaw
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Parmis
Fifth Year
carrot lover (not) // torturously friendly // secret spy // HP nerd // <3 sparkles // who am I?

I have to agree with most of the people before me who gave their general opinions about the film adaption of DH 2. Sorry if I'm repeating anything that was mentioned before. If so, I'm only stressing on how much I find your opinions to be true. Overall, it satisfied me more than I expected when going in to watch the movie. On the whole, the balance between excitement, mystery, sadness and joy of the movie was managed well. Now as for the goods and the bads that stood out in my mind are as follows:

The Awesome Parts:
  1. The epicness of Hogwarts' battle on the grand scheme. The effort put into the visual effects was beyond amazing. It definitely deserves Oscar nominations. I like how the 3D added a whole new realistic quality to it and blended well in with scenes. It wasn't distracting as with objects flying out towards you. That's not where the focus was. It was an awesome experience feeling much closer to the characters and being engulfed in the setting.

2. The trio finally stepped up in their acting and delivered their parts well. I'm glad Emma gave up on overacting. Her excessive eyebrow movements and over stressed speaking used to drive me insane and it used to look so fake. She finally found the right balance and steeped in Hermione's shoes for this movie. I also liked how she managed to burst out crying when she found out Harry was going to sacrifice himself. It was very natural. I can't say enough about much I thought Daniel has developed as an actor in this movie. For the first time, he was truely Harry. His expressions were right on. You could definitely sense the urgency and the stress he was going through. His face after watching Snape's memories was exactly like the way I pictured it in the books. The walk through the forbidden forest and how he awaited his death was also very touching. He delivered it beautifully. Rupert is just Ron. Period. He has this face. He has this unique and effortless way of making you laugh even if he's just looking straight at something with no particular expression. He's naturally talented at it can be seen from his early days in front of the camera as well.

3. The Prince's tale was simply heart wrenching and delivered beautifully by Alan Rickman's amazing acting. just the fact that Snape was known as the most senseless and robotic figure in the previous movies with this dull and cold voice, it really showed how good of an actor Alan is to show a whole new image to Snape and pour out so much emotion onto the screen that most of the audience didn't even know it was possible before. When he walked into the Potter's house and embraced dead Lily in his arms I was crying my eyes out like an infant. It was so heartbreaking to watch. The actor cast as young Snape was perfect as others have said it before me.

4. Harry in limbo at King's Cross was portrayed perfectly on screen. It was just as I imagined it in the book. It was so calm and out of worldly. It made everything else about the reality back in Hogwarts and the bloody battle which was so destructive look insignificant and unreasonable as if its silly to exist. You know what I mean? It seemed even more real than anything else and the last lines which they kept it in from the book just suits well with what I'm saying. "Is this all real or is but just happening in my head," harry asks. And Dumbledore responds with, "Of course it is all happening in your head, but why should it mean that it's not real?" I loved it. The convo between Dumbledore and Harry was perfectly worded and soothing. Both of them as ghosts looked much purer.

5. The epilogue was very sweet. Generally I think the makeup team did a great job with aging the actors/actresses. Though Ron's fat belly made me laugh. It suited his character though with how much he enjoys eating. And Ginny being the daughter of Molly, she be an ideal motherly/wife figure as well and a good cook too! The kids cast for playing the Potter/Weasley kids were chosen well. I loved the talk between Harry and Albus. Daniel delivered a father figure really well. It was so sweet that I squealed while watching it. Draco looked handsome as a man. Their make up was very realistic. I was worried about that part due to the original epilogue pictures which leaked online. Their makeup was horrendous! I'm so glad they changed it.

6. Neville is my hero! I couldn't help but smile every time he appeared on screen. Matt surely knows his character inside and out. Attempting to act as the clumsy Neville who just broke out of his shell and decided to play the hero while really keeping in character and not changing drastically is very hard. Everyone cheered while he killed Nagini. I just love him. *huggles him*

7. The walk through the forest and Harry meeting the deceased was simply perfect. I cried my eyes out during that scene. Everything about it was right on. I have to praise Daniel's acting for that scene. Also I'm glad Steve Kloves kept the "Does it hurt" line in when Harry was referring to dying.

The Good Parts:
  • The music was really good. I was initially skeptical of Desplat's work. I mean no one can take the place of John Williams in my heart. I really wanted him to return to compose for the last movie. Nevertheless, I have to admit, Desplat brought his own unique touch to the movie. His scores were suitable and very emotional and for the most part, it blended well in with the rest of the movie. It wasn't out of place. I especially liked the opening music played while Snape was looking out from the castle at the students in the courtyard.

• The Gringott's scene was action packed and I loved the way the Dragon struggled to get out of the bank. It only made sense. I like how the dragon looked withered and frail like in the book due to being kept away from sunlight for so long. The ride on the cart looked fantastic in 3D. The vault scene was exactly as the way I imagined it in the book. Oh and when the dragon broke out from the top of Gringotts, there was one thing that ran in my mind. Freedom! It took a deep breath and pointed it's head up towards the light. It looked great.

The Bad Parts:
  • Why did the imperio curse have a colour and looked like visible vapor when it was cast on the Goblin in Gringotts? It looked weird. And it looked like its effects were being over exaggerated. But I guess it's sort of make sense for the movie as the audience who haven't read the books may be confused as to what was going on.

• I was also aggravated on how the Deathly Hallows importance was overshadowed by the Horcruxes. I mean they should have mentioned that Harry was the master of Death. And there was no mention of the fact that Harry owned the cloak as well and that the stone in the snitch was the resurrection stone. Oh well, I guess they left the excessive explanations out for the more serious and critical audience who haven't read the books to eventually figure it out after watching it several more times on the DVD.

• Why wasn't there any mention of Tonks giving birth until the forest again scene? That must have came as a surprise for those who haven't read the books and it seemed totally pointless to even mention it then. Teddy's name wasn't even mentioned in the movie which is just sad. Harry is his godfather after all and with the way that it connects to him being an orphan too made it much more special.

The Awful Parts:
  • Why did Ron and Hermione allow Harry to just walk by and give himself up to Voldemort? WHY??? JK.Rowling especially chose Harry to put on the invisibility cloak to conceal himself from others and to truly act heroic by not causing a commotion with his departure and for others to run after him and keep him from going! I mean that was truly heroic. First of all, Harry wouldn't just walk past them and announce that he's leaving. And, secondly, Ron and Hermione would never allow him to go. Why was Ron standing there looking shocked and did not even shed a tear? Why did he not say anything? Gah! So annoying!

• Why did Voldemort and Bellatrix shatter into many paper like pieces when they got killed??? Sure it looked cool in 3D but just unnecessary.

• The whole Harry grabbing Voldemort by the neck and pulling him off the tower was just pointless. Harry wouldn't do that. Voldemort can fly, Harry can't He could have got himself killed. And wouldn't want to be anywhere close to my worse enemy and the most powerful and dangerous wizard of all time. It looked scary. Voldemort's demonic face gave me shivers.

• Where was the crowd of onlookers during the final duel between Harry and Voldemort??? Why did they have to change that. I loved how in the book Harry disgraced Voldemort, had his final say and called him Tom. I loved it more when he triumphed people broke into an applause and treated him like a true winner who just finished off the most powerful dark wizard of all time! That's how it should have been in the movie instead of Harry just walking into the Great Hall and no one even paying any attention to him as if he's not even present there! Grrr!

Last edited by crookshanks_kitty; 07-22-2011 at 10:59 PM.
crookshanks_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote