View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lissy Longbottom
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan (#b8b323)
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

I just got back from seeing the movie and I'm really REALLY pleased with how it turned out. I just read the last half of the book last night and I think it was pretty spot on, to be honest. Certainly one of the most accurate films, by far.

Anyways, I had a few complaints but not many, and there were a few parts that I thought were a BIT drawn out but I'll get to that in a minute.

First off, I absolutely ADORED Matthew Lewis' performance in this movie. NEVILLE ROCKED! I am SO THRILLED that they gave him the screen time he deserved, and they made him even COOLER than he was in the book (which I didn't even think was possible) and while I am still mourning the loss of the "I'll join you when hell freezes over" line, his speech made up for that, and I SQUEALED with delight when he finally killed Nagini. Also, I loved the bridge scene! Such a great addition. I've obviously been singing Matt's praises as Neville for years but this film literally made me SO PROUD to call Neville my favorite character

A lot of people were sad that Dumbledore's back story was left out, but in the grand scheme of things...it really isn't that important to the story as a whole, and unfortunately when making movies, those story lines are the first ones they cut. So, really, I wasn't too sad to see it go. Aberforth clearly had grievances with his brother, that much was obvious, but it wasn't necessary to go into detail, I felt. But then again I was too anxious to see Neville at that point so ehh, I dunno

Now, on to the deaths *sniffle* I was a TAD disappointed that Fred's death really wasn't emphasized much like it was in the book, but the more I thought about it, I kind of like it that way. Rupert still delivered an AMAZING performance when Ron finds out what happened, and even though it was a few seconds long I think it still packed a punch. Lupin and Tonks' death was quick as well, but that's exactly how it was in the books too. Also, I was totally shocked that they killed Lavender o_O I thought it was nice though that Hermione made an attempt to save her, considering everything that happened in the last book.

The scene in the Room of Requirement was excellent, in my opinion. Yeah, it wasn't Crabbe but really, they're interchangeable characters when you think about it, and while I had kind of hoped Goyle would freak out just a bit more like Crabbe does in the book, I thought it was really well done, especially the bit when they killed the Horcrux via the fire. Voldy's face charging at the door was a nice touch, I thought.

THE KISS! Not exactly like it was in the book, but I thought it was BETTER this way, to be honest. Harry wasn't there to ruin the moment, and it was more urgent, as I think a few people have said, so it was more emotional. It wouldn't have really made sense to do it how it was in the books, because Hermione isn't all into House Elf rights in the movies like she was in the books, so the dialogue leading up to the kiss wouldn't have made much sense.

AND NEVILLE/LUNA! WE GOT NEVILLE/LUNA! It wasn't much, but it was still SO cute, especially at the end. EEEEEEEP!

Also, this is TOTALLY random, but this is the only film I really enjoyed Seamus Finnigan in Like I said. Totally random. Also I was very thrilled that Dean got TWO lines which is more than he's had in quite a while

Snape...OH MY GOSH. I could go on and on and on about how amazing Alan Rickman's performance was. I was tearing up when he died (which was a tad gruesome, but by far one of the most emotional deaths in the movie) and absolutely SOBBING by the end of the Prince's Tale. They cut a few bits of the tale out, but left the important parts, and the kid they cast as Young Snape was PERFECT. That was one of the parts that I thought they definitely needed to keep accurate to the book, and because they DID keep so much of it in the film, I think that made up for the smaller tweeks they made that I wasn't very happy with.

Finally, some of the things I WASN'T really pleased with...they're mainly little things, and like I said, the good totally outweighed the bad but nevertheless...

I don't understand why everyone turned into dust when they died I thought it was a bit odd but, I guess it was more dramatic? Ehh. I'd have been fine if they just like, collapsed but whatever.

WHY DID VOLDEMORT HUG DRACO? Most awkward thing I've ever seen.

I still can't wrap my head around the whole Harry-grabbing-Voldy-and-jumping-off-a-cliff bit. Also, when they grabbed each other's faces and the like...molded together or whatever, WHAT THE HECK. That was terrifying!

I didn't like how we didn't get ONE mention of Teddy Lupin until the Resurrection Stone bit. How did Harry even know Lupin had a son?! Tonks got interrupted before she could break the news in the last one and he never popped in at Shell Cottage to announce the birth...Harry must be a Seer now, I guess.

Other than that...I really REALLY enjoyed it and can't wait to go see it again. Overall, everyone delivered fantastic performances, Neville kicked tons of butt, and they had JUST the right amount of humor in it...so, all in all, a great film

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid
Lissy Longbottom is offline   Reply With Quote