View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
HogwartsHokage
Ravenclaw
Billywig

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jenny Takahashi
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Damian van Ryden
Magical Creatures
Moooooooo. :) || Have a supermegafoxyawesomehot Christmas.

I already reviewed in another thread, but I'm adding more thorough details here (simply because I didn't want to edit my other post). Even though I enjoyed the movie thoroughly, there were a few (major) things I wasn't happy with at all; I couldn't help being a harsh critic the entire time. Plus, I just finished rereading DH the day of the midnight premiere, and I truly wished that the movie would have been more faithful to the book. Now I don't usually feel that way towards the movies, especially with DH Part I; the difference for me was that the whole "movie-being-different-from-book" thing just went way too far.

1) The first time I saw Fred and George - both twins have BOTH ears back on. Whatever happened to George's "holey" injury? I know a possible explanation could be that you can heal things by magic, but that injury was supposed to be inflicted by dark magic, thus making it un-heal-able. Just that one detail completely detached Part 2 from Part 1 for me; at least they should have stick with continuity.

2) Come to think of it, I never noticed Teddy mentioned at all in Part 2. I don't even remember if they mentioned Teddy existing or Tonks being pregnant in Part I. At least they should have kept that scene where Lupin barges into Shell Cottage and announce his son's birth. It would have made the whole atmosphere a bit endearing and optimistic, since it sends a message that life still goes on even in times of war. And Lupin asking Harry to be Teddy's godfather, too! That would have been a perfect scene for Dan as well!

3) This didn't bother me a lot, but I preferred the Shrieking Shack set from PoA to the one they used here. It looked too fancy and intricate to the point where it doesn't look like a place for a werewolf to hide. I wonder what would happen if Lupin suddenly howled in that place with all those glass panes. Plus, the set didn't give off that haunted-house image that the PoA set gave. Whoops, I completely forgot that they did say they were going to change the location of Snape's death. Ah, well, still prefer the Shrieking Shack though.

4) In the book, the dragon escaped from Gringotts by just blasting a hole at the top and flying through it as quickly as possible. I couldn't help but cringe when I saw that dragon struggling to get out by crawling and bumping into things. They made the action drag on too long by doing that; if they just stuck to the book and did everything quickly, then that sense of urgency, danger, and excitement would be still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviegoerKinz View Post
4. Harry explains the way the wands work very well with who becomes the masters...la-di-dah! Anyways, MAJOR SPOILER, he takes the Elder wand and breaks it and throws it off a cliff. Um...Harry what about your own wand? That was one of my favorite moments in the book where he takes the Elder Wand and fixes his own because he doesn't want to the owner of it and returns it to Dumbledore. And from there I go to another Deathly Hallow...

5. What is the movie/book called again? Oh, that's right Harry Potter and the DEATHLY HALLOWS! Not once did they mention that Harry could be in possession of all three, or at least that he was the owner of the Invisibility Cloak. That whole store about how he and Tom Riddle could be related through the Peverells was completely thrown out the door. I was hoping that at least when Harry and Dumbledore are speaking at King's Cross it would be mentioned why Dumbledore was in possession and how he examined it to concur that it was so. I just wish the other Deathly Hallows were mentioned more. This movie could've been called Harry Potter and the Elder Wand because that was practically all that was highlighted.
5) Ah yeah, that bothered me the most. The whole movie just seemed to undermine the importance of the Deathly Hallows to the entire story! I was hoping that Dumbledore would explain to Harry at King's Cross aboutwhy he didn't tell Harry about the Hallows straightaway and made the trio suffer by letting them finding things out on their own while looking for Horcruxes. Another thing: the invisibility cloak showed up ONCE -- only ONCE! That downgraded the importance of Harry's invisibility cloak even further. It would have been a lot better for me if Harry used it while walking in the forest (thus making use of the 3rd Hallow).
At least what SHOULD have happened was that Harry acknowledged that he had all 3 Hallows at some point and that he became rightfully known as the True Master of Death; it would have brought more significance to the duel between Harry and Voldemort.

Other than that, there were many countless things I loved, most of all the epilogue! (Albus Severus Potter was so cute! ) There were also some changes from the book I loved or was content with (especially the fact that they dropped the Arianna backstory; I can kind of see why they would do that).

Even though the movie didn't meet my expectations, here's hoping for an Oscar nomination (and win).

Last edited by HogwartsHokage; 07-15-2011 at 08:44 PM.
HogwartsHokage is offline   Reply With Quote