View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #47 (permalink)
#1_harry_potter_fan_22
Gryffindor
Doxy

Roro Numero Uno Hogwarts Rules!

*Please excuse the long post, I got carried away

***MAJOR SPOILERS***

After repeatedly watching interviews where various members of the Harry Potter cast and even Jo herself say that Deathly Hallows Part one is the best movie in the series thus far, I knew the movie would be amazing. The extent of this amazing-ness however I was not prepared for. DH was absolutely phenomenal!
I was a bit anxious to see this because DH was my favorite book and in almost all book-to-film adaptations there’s just something missing and the books are usually significantly better. There’s a very different feel to this one, but I love it The Hogwarts Express is only briefly seen and Hogwarts itself isn’t seen at all. The main focus is of the changing wizarding as well as muggle world and how this change takes a tole on the character’s relationships, especially the Trio. I think David Yates has outdone himself. Hopefully with these last two movies he’ll be able to win over the fans that disapproved of his takeover of the harry potter films starting with Order of the Phoenix. I just loved how he was able to transfer all the emotions you felt as you read the book to the big screen: from despair to amusement. All the tiny details he added, I just loved. And at the same time he was able to keep true to Jo’s beloved novel.
From the very first shot of the film: the classic Harry Potter WB logo, you can tell that this film is considerably darker than the previous ones. No longer is the sign the glistening beautiful silver that it once was, but is now dimmed , with a chipping, almost crumbling façade. I love this because it kind of reflects the state that the world is in at this time.
In the beginning, when each member of the trio is shown saying goodbye to their loved ones and coming to grips with the reality they’re about to face, it was so sad! Specifically Hermione! I loved the little kiddie photos of Emma Watson (too cute!) and the fact that she was also erased from the family pictures was a nice detail. I agree with what someone said though, I was wondering throughout the movie when she was going to explain why she did what she did, because although we all know it’s to protect her parents, people that haven’t read the book may not catch that. I didn’t really mind that though, because I think it’s pretty easy to figure out. I loved this insight into Hermione’s life though because in the books we really don’t get to know much about it.
Ooh Malfoy Manor was far beyond anything I’d imagined! You could just feel the air of opulence. This scene was pretty much amazing, you could really feel the emotions of the characters, especially that of the malfoys who at this point are just conflicted and want more than anything to simply make it out alive. Voldemort is brilliantly evil and I love when he eerily tells severus that they saved a seat for him. Oh Charity Burbage’s murder was actually terribly sad! You could see she was in so much pain in the desperation with which she begged snape for mercy.
The seven potter scene I thought was quite funny ( “Bill don’t look at me! I’m hideous!” ) and I think it was very well done. Tonks doesn’t get to announce her pregnancy in this one (she almost did!) but I know it’ll be in the next one so I’m not too worried about that I’ve seen some people complaining that the escape scene wasn’t long enough, but come on, there was plenty of action during the rest of the movie. Personally I thought the escape scene was just mesmerizing. The amazing graphics and sound made it a truly worthwhile scene (Yeah, you definitely need to see this in IMAX ) I also really loved the part during the escape scene where Voldemort is defeated by Harry’s wand and seems to almost become a part of the electrical tower. Very cool Another detail I love that’s added is that Hedwig is killed, not trapped in a cage, but protecting Harry, reminiscent of the sacrifice his parents made for him that fateful night in Godric’s Hollow. I wish there had been a bit more emotion when Moody’s death was announced, but I also understand why Yates chose not to dwell on that scene too much. Even in the book, Moody is only briefly mentioned.
I thought Bill and Fleur's wedding was really beautiful and fleur looked amazing in that black and white laced dress. The absence of Krum really didn’t faze me since his main purpose was to introduce Harry to the Deathly Hallows which Harry obviously figures out by himself. I also thought it was fine that Ron and Hermione didn’t have that one dance because there are plenty of other Aww Moments from those two, my favorite of course being their hands next to eachother while they sleep at Grimmauld Place, closely followed by Hermione teaching Ron to play the piano to no avail I also loved the kiss between Ginny and Harry, it was cute …but the whole “zip me up” thing seemed slightly strange. And I love how George used the hole in his ear as a tooth brush holder It seems exactly like something he would do. As for Kingsley’s patronus it was just captivating “They are cominggg…They are coming”
Grimmauld place was exactly how I had imagined it and I’m glad they kept the pseudo-Dumbledore that was made out of dust. One thing I was slightly disappointed in however was the fact that there really was not a time where Kreacher just broke down and told them the truth of what he and Regulus had done. In fact unlike the book he really does not reconcile with the trio and actually seems even more bitter towards Hermione. Maybe that plot line will be further explored in Part 2? I doubt it, but one can hope
The ministry scene was absolutely hilarious. Although the trio seemed a bit more obvious in their awkward interaction with employees of the ministry than in the book, the actors that played them were beyond perfect. Ron/Reggie Cattermole’s kiss with his wife was super funny as well. When the trio disapparate, I was so upset! I love Ron, as we all do, and seeing him in so much pain as Hermione desperately tried to heal his splinching wounds definitely got to me.
During the next moments of the film, in the forests, I really do have to commend Dan, Rupe, and Emma. When you look at the past movies and this one, you can most certainly tell that they gave it their all, and it shows They’ve just grown so much as actors and I really am proud of them I’m especially glad that Ron got all those lines he SHOULD HAVE had in the past. Yes, there is an absence of Potterwatch, which disappointed me but I’ve gotten over it. They still do find out what happens on the outside in other ways (for example Hermione witnessing the snatchers burying dead bodies and Ron listening to the radio for names of the deceased). Anyway we get an insight into the cracks in the friendship of the golden trio and I think Rupert’s acting was perfect. When Ron leaves it just breaks my heart which leads me to the best scene ever: Harry and Hermione’s dance!
So I think Harry Potter fans are pretty split on this one with some thinking it was unnecessary and awkward. It’s just this awkwardness that I love about it though! At this point Hermione is just so broken. I think part of it is the fact that Ron left, but part of it is the fact that maybe she feels the same emotions he does. She has no idea about her parents’ well-being and quite frankly the horcrux hunt is a lot more difficult than any of them could have imagined. So Hermione’s listening to a song on the radio by herself ( O’ Children by Nick Cave) and Harry gives her this look that to me just shows how much he truly does love and care for her and worries about her. And the moment where he decided to just awkwardly try and cheer her up with the dancing was just so touching to me For a second, they were allowed to just be kids and snatch a moment from the care-free lives that should have been theirs. Overall I just thought that scene was beautiful and funny and in fact I now have that song on replay (By the way, apparently Yates listened to over 500 songs before finally deciding on this one)
Godrics Hollow was the scariest thing ever! The missing graffiti sign at the Potter’s house would have been nice. But at the same time, I thought it was ok that they didn’t have it. The main point of it was to give Harry support in all that he’s going through and to help him realize that the Wizarding World is behind him. Harry knows this though, which is exemplified in the fact that after the attack at the Lovegoods he actually defends Xenophilius, understanding that the only reason xenophilius betrayed them was because he was being punished for showing his support of harry. And I think harry will understand even more just the amount of support he has in DH2 during the battle of Hogwarts once he see’s just how many people have choosen to risk their lives to help him save the wizarding world.
One thing I forgot to mention earlier was Hermione’s telling of the Tale of the Three Brothers at the Lovegoods. I loved the approach they took in telling the classic children’s story. Rather than simply having Hermione retell the story of the Deathly Hallows, using a method never before seen in the Harry Potter films, there were these simply superb animations which I really enjoyed.
Back in Godrics Hollow, Bathilda Bagshot was just so eerie and when she slowly opens her mouth, slightly revealing Nagini and then begins to decompose I just about lost it. The Silver Doe was just immaculately done. When Harry had to get in the water and began choking as he frantically attempted to break through the ice and get back to the top it was just terrible, I felt chills just watching it.
Ron’s destruction of the Horcrux. This I think might be a slightly controversial topic just because the horcrux Harry and Hermione are nude, but honestly I don’t really have a problem with it. I mean seriously, this is Voldemort’s soul making Ron live his deepest, darkest fears and insecurities. He wouldn’t have them kissing on the cheek or something And I thought Horcrux Harry and Hermione were done perfectly, just like in the book, with ethereal, almost unhuman facial features and intoxicating voices.
During the capture of the Trio at Malfoy Manor, nearing the end of the movie, you can really feel their terror. Helena Bonham Carter brilliantly portrays Bellatrix as usual and takes the torture of Hermione one step further than in the book by carving the word ‘Mudblood’ into her skin. This was genius and definitely reminded me somewhat of Nazi Germany. Just as in the book, Hermione’s cries when she’s being tortured and the silent tears that stream down her face as she looks at her bleeding arm after she becomes too weak to fight back really do pierce your heart and I think Emma did an amazing job. Although Ron wasn’t as hysterical as he was in the book you still get that emotion and desperation from him. In the underground room at Malfoy Manor one thing that’s different is that Peter Pettigrew doesn’t kill himself using the silver hand. At first I was confused, thinking it was Dobby that had killed him, but actually he is only stunned. Hopefully Pettigrew has a chance to show some remorse towards harry in DH2, fulfilling the life debt.
Although I knew it was coming, I definitely was not prepared for Dobby’s death. There were plenty of moments in the movie where tears came to my eyes but this was the scene that just made me cry. I love the short monologue Dobby gives about his freedom before Bellatrix stabs him. What made me cry the most however was Harry holding onto Dobby’s near lifeless form, desperately pleading Ron and Hermione to help him help Dobby and Dobby’s last words where he reflects on the beauty of the world and being able to be surrounded by friends. Dobby really is a hero and I admire his loyalty so very much. RIP! <3
The very last scene is of Voldemort going to Dumbledore’s grave, where he recklessly destroys the white marble tomb, finally obtaining the Elder Wand. In the ultimate display of power, he points the wand towards the sky, illuminating the heavens. I thought this was the perfect ending although it was a bit sudden it brought the movie to a nice close without too much of a cliffhanger
I know I always say this whenever a new Harry Potter movie comes out, but this one truly is my favorite out of all 7. Although there were some details missing, I think that was ok because most of the messages those details were trying to convey were incorporated into the movie in some other way. Besides, all the other amazing features of the movie definitely outweigh any details that may have been left out. I think fans will for sure fall in love with this movie. The actors have definitely matured, the soundtrack was fantastic On a scale of 1-10? Definitely 1,000,000

I You Barnacle Babe!
#1_harry_potter_fan_22 is offline   Reply With Quote