View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Post SnitchSeeker review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I

Here is SnitchSeeker's review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I. Please note: there are a few minor spoilers throughout.

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 opens with a bleak look at where each of our beloved trio stand at the beginning of the story. We see them isolated in varying degrees, all trying protect their families. This sets the by and large sombre tone right from the off. The film hits all the right notes to hold the plot together and keep the general audience up to speed at the same time. I would say it’s the most faithful film of the franchise – both literally and spiritually.

But it’s also very un-Harry Potter like, in the sense that it’s very grown-up and asks the audience to think about very serious issues such as the notion of racial purity, a kind of fanaticism we would like to think doesn’t exist in our muggle world. There’s also questions concerning loyalty, trust and whether the rules set by government are always in the best interests of the people.

Having said that, the persecution of muggles isn’t as prominent as it is in the book, however the scenes that do feature that subplot are suffice to show what’s happening and the moment Harry discovers his friends are being watched, is particularly affecting. It’s a brief moment, a gem, one of many that is focused on for only a couple of seconds, which may seem irrelevant to the general audience but are crucial story-telling moments for avid book fans everywhere.

There are omissions, unsurprisingly, mostly on the small side, thankfully. One that did stand out to me was the lack of graffiti on the Potter gravestone (in the book supporters leave comforting messages for Harry). It’s a tiny aesthetic detail but when I read it originally, it just seemed like a lovely if small boost for Harry and Hermione during a particularly dark moment. You also don’t really get a sense of people other than our trio and the Order fighting the Death Eaters, Snatchers and Voldemort. There’s no mention of Potterwatch or the attempts at hijacking at Hogwarts by the remaining members of Dumbledore’s Army. Although these could come into play in part 2, in which case I will gladly eat my words. Not much is made of Dumbledore’s past and Rita Skeeter’s attempt at personality sabotage is barely registered – though this was uncomfortable to deal with in reading the book, it seems a theme that all heroes should question their mentors before going on to do great things despite adversity and doubts.

In terms of performance Helena Bonham Carter plays Bellatrix as deliciously desperate to win Voldemort’s affection. Jason Isaacs portrays Lucius Malfoy as if on the precipice of a nervous breakdown – all dishevelled, with a smattering of stubble. Rupert Grint takes us on Ron’s emotional journey towards maturity, beautifully. Emma Watson has some really affecting scenes, most notably with her parents and some fantastic moments of comedy with Rupert. The pair work so well together and I for one cannot wait to see their sparring come to a head in the final film. There are many lovely scenes between Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert and Emma in general – some really nice moments that really encapsulate why readers everywhere are so in love with their characters. During Ron’s abandonment, there are some touching sequences with Harry and Hermione…not to the extent of shipping them but you can see the potential for something happening, had Rowling chosen to write it that way.

Special mention has to go to the way in which the Tale of the Three Brothers is told, through the use of animation with Hermione narrating. Truly gorgeous. Equally, the visions Ron sees, from the locket, of Harry and Hermione, are sensual and eerie, without being too inappropriate. The Seven Potters scene also stands out as a favourite, not least because of the ability to re-watch it time and time again, gloriously soaking in each of Daniel Radcliffe’s nuanced impersonations of Harry Potter’s friends and allies.

Overall, in terms of the film as an adaptation, I’d say that the bits that are there, far outweigh what isn’t – the film-makers struck a good balance between keeping all the key plot points in while also ensuring a smooth and consistent pace. It’s no secret that I cried my way through the book (it began with the dedications, seriously); I did pretty much the same with the film. Although by the end, I was struggling to keep myself from sobbing noisily…I’ll leave you to figure out why. So if you’re the crying type, for Merlin’s sake, TAKE TISSUES!!!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be released November 19, 2010, and July 15, 2011. Click on the banner below to pre-order tickets for Part I at Fandango. Tickets are also on sale now in the UK; head over to the Harry Potter official UK Facebook for more information.