View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
Looneybird
Ravenclaw
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ferosa "Roe" Collins
Second Year
ℭreative-tastic| ✿ Color Magnet ✿

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodatheHobbit View Post
It's not missing if it's not the book character. This is the movie character. I'm glad they are not the same thing because they should not be. I don't want the book on screen. It would have been too repetitive and boring.
No, of course I'd never want a character word for word from the books. I agree; it would be boring. However, the thing is whatever else you bring into the movie character, you have to still retain something personality wise from the original character in order for you to recognize who the character is.

Take for example, Helena Bonham Carter. With just reading the books, you don't see Bellatrix as insane as she is in the films. However, with Helena acting as an extremely immature sadistic lunatic, you see just how much more interesting the character can get. She was able to translate the character from the pages into something much greater yet still stay true to the character's origins and even more. Sir Michael Gambon did the exact opposite. Mind you, I'd never want him to play Dumbledore exactly the way Richard Harris did it either but he could have at least tried a different approach, which he did in the 6th film. It isn't about reading and not reading the book, but rather how well you are able to bring what is on paper on to the screen.

Last edited by Looneybird; 09-27-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Looneybird is offline   Reply With Quote