View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #31 (permalink)
darthpotter89
Members
Bundimun

I've seen the movie twice now and I thought it was a good movie. As a book adaption it was ok. For fans that went to be entertained this is probably the best hp movie. For fans hoping for a movie version of the book this was a disappointment.

I thought the acting was the best of the six movies. I've always liked Emma's acting and Rupert was hilarious during the love potion scene. Dan has come a long way and his acting was well done in this one, especially during the felix felicis scene. Tom Felton was perfect and his acting was convincing. The bathroom scene really showed how much pressure and despair he felt. I liked Alan Rickman as Snape, but there wasn't enough of him. I though Jim Broadbent made a perfect Slughorn. He was exactly the way I imagined him. Jessie Cave was perfectly cast as Lavender and I loved the Ron/Hermione/Lavender/Cormac thing. Bonnie Wright could have been better, but to be fair the script Kloovs wrote for her was terrible.

The screen play definitely could have been better. Kloovs should be fired. I really noticed it during the RoR scene when Harry and Ginny... well mostly Ginny... hide the potions book. The movie was poorly put together and was very unpredictable. If you haven't read the book the movie will be difficult to follow.

I realize that of all the books this one is the most unpredictable because you have no idea where the story is going, but as least JK made it clear that the most important thing in the book was Harry and Dumbledore exploring Tom Riddle's past, but in the movie you only see two memories, the orphanage and the horcruxes. IMHO they needed to add the memory of Voldemort visiting the old lady and seeing the cup and the locket. This would accomplish two things.
First it would impress upon the audience that the real reason this is an important part of the hp series is that we are learning about Voldy's past and it would give the movie more of a plot line.
Second it shows us two horcruxes. At the end of the movie all Harry knows is that there are four more horcruxes out there. He knows one is a locket, but he has no idea what the rest are let alone where they are because they stupidly decided to cut out most of Dumbledore's discussions with Harry. Then at least Harry would be able to say "I think one of the horcruxes is a cup because Voldemort took a fancy to one." Then he would only need to guess about two horcruxes instead of three. I don't know how they plan to fix this problem.

I thought the Burrow scene was unnecessary. I understand why they did it but I think there were better ways to do it that were closer to the book.

I liked how funny the movie is, and I think it's good that it's funny because it's in between the two darkest stories of the hp series. One thing I did like better in the movie than the book was the Harry/Hermione relationship. They have finally made it clear that she likes Ron and they give her and Harry some common ground.

Even though it may not seem like it, I did enjoy the movie and I would give it a 7.5/10 as a movie.
As a book adaption a 5/10.
darthpotter89 is offline   Reply With Quote