View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 01:01 AM

Post James & Oliver Phelps talk redheads, Deathly Hallows & casting

While promoting Half-Blood Prince in Oslo, Norway for the past two days, James and Oliver Phelps spoke about their ginger hair for the movies, teasing Rupert Grint on his natural red locks, and how they got the role of Fred and George Weasley in the first movie, Philosopher's Stone. Three photos of the twins in Norway can be seen here:

Quote:
Through Harry Potter, there is much that does not normally have been regarded as a cult that is cool, kids fight, for example, to borrow the glasses that are in circulation. Do you think that it has been easier to be redheads?
(in unison):
No.

James: We do still ridicule Rupert (Grint, who plays Ron) for his hair.

Oliver: I was at a football game. Made my cut and I got up and celebrating. We were right by the home fans, and they shouted: "Put down your redhead..." It was pretty funny. I said nothing about that I was a Weasley.
Quote:
Color your hair back days you are finished with the filming?
Oliver
: We have to get it cleared first.

James: We're going to color it again in two weeks when the filming of Deathly Hallows begins. I think it's pretty permanent for the next nine months, but I do not think I ever going to color my hair red again.
On auditioning and getting the role of the twins:

Quote:
You were 14 when you were on the audition, what you thought about the books then?
Oliver:
I had read all that had come out at the time, Goblet of Fire was the last. It was slightly surreal because when you read, you can see the characters for themselves in the head and I saw James for me and I like Fred and George because we were twins. And when we started filming I was that I began to see me for the cast as Dan, as Emma, as Rupert and all the others, and so did I still when I read Deathly Hallows two years ago. - The difference is only that when you read that they go from the story to living through the corridors, for me as it is to exit a scene, over the parking lot and into another. It is quite strange.

Why exactly were you were chosen?
James:
Janet Hudson said she had raised eyebrows as soon as we entered the door. I think we had the look they were after.

Oliver: We had a test in front of the camera not long after with the director Chris Columbus, who was American. He asked who of us who would win a "fight". "Fight" on the U.S. means a discussion, while in the UK means the fist fight.

James: ... So I said "I would win, I have a pretty good left hook", and he not only understood what I was talking about. There was much that was new for us in the beginning.
James and Oliver attended tonight's Norwegian premiere of Half-Blood Prince; we will have photos from the event as soon as they are online.