View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 04:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cassirin

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMorgan View Post
“Good day, Minister Cooper, Ms. Taylor,” he addressed them both with a nod to each of them. “My question will first be addressed to Minister Cooper, then once he has finished answering, Ms. Taylor, if you would respond as well.” He cleared his throat once before proceeding. “What are some ideas that you have to encourage travel and visitation to Britain and its Ministry as opposed to other countries in the world? Also, what are some methods that could be used to entice people to move here permanently?” As an American citizen permanently residing in Britain, Donovan was eager to hear the ideas of both candidates and still being undecided, their views on foreign diplomacy could very well sway his vote in one direction or the other. He looked expectantly first at the Minister in anticipation of his response.
Cooper gave the young man a stifled odd look before figuring out how to plaster on a smile. What was going on with these questions? They were actually quite hard. Why was it his job to worry about tourism when there were people dying and stuff??

"That's an interesting query, sir. I think we have a beautiful country here, and certainly some of the most interesting spots in all of Europe. Who else has the historical sites of Harry Potter? The home of Quidditch? A complete Wizarding village, or the shopping utopia of Diagon Alley? Truly, we have some unique vistas, but if we hide our bushel under a basket, how is anyone to know?"

"To better publicize what we have to offer, I think we must develop a Bureau of Travel and Tourism within the Department of International Cooperation. They can assist in publicity and help to develop those areas that we believe people want to visit. I think bringing this under the review of the Ministry is an important part of making tourism a viable industry for us. In addition, the Department of Magical Transportation should be tasked with extending our Floo networks to make foreign travel easier and to expand our apparition centers. By making travel to our fair nation more accessible, we are better encouraging people to make the trip."

"As for encouraging our foreign allies to consider Britain as a new home, we cannot discount how the country speaks for itself. But uprooting from a place that is so familiar is difficult, and any help we can offer should be considered. Relocation agents within the Department of International Cooperation can be tasked with helping new citizens navigate the process of finding a home and locating the necessities of a new country and community. In addition, those communities that grow up around small enclaves of wizarding families should be encouraged. What do we have without community? Hogsmeade is unique nearly in all the world, and I think it would do us well to encourage similar towns to grow organically throughout Britain. These can be through natural citizens, but better through naturalized citizens who have an interest in developing the bond of home. Stipends should be provided to those enclaves who are interested in becoming more self-sufficient and in including new families in their midst."

"I truly do believe that wizards all over the world are welcome in our borders, to be taken in and homogenized with those who already live here. Tourism can be a boon to our economy if we know how to take advantage of the interest the world already shows us, but only if we are willing to open our arms and the Ministry's pocketbooks in the meantime." He nodded to Taylor to take her turn.

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest