View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
MissRastaban
Members
Horklump

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaRiddle View Post
That might not be true, given Michael Gambon's notoriety for lying in interviews, because he loathes the whole process.
That's true - I've seen both of his appearances on 'Top Gear', as well as 'Have I got News for You' and 'Room 101'. All shows where he's been very amusing about his attitude towards interviews/journalists.

I just hope he was telling the truth when it came to Dumbledore. Otherwise I can't imagine why his interpretation, especially in the earlier films, is so different to the books, when he knows how important the character is to the story and the fans. I know some people prefer him to Harris, which is fair enough, but in my opinion, JKR wrote a self controlled, quirky old man with a good sense of humour hiding vast inner strength. That self control and strength is what Voldemort feared, not an ability to start shouting and panicking at the first sign of trouble. I just can't see how Gambon's performance can have been inspired by the books.

Sorry, a bit off topic! Back to Rhys Ifan. I don't know enough about him to judge fairly, but from what I've seen, he plays groovy, cool characters or stoners. Apologies if I'm wrong. Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith etc are strong character actors who can submerge themselves in their parts - become their parts. I hope Rhys Ifan is that sort of actor, who won't just play a variation of the character he always plays. Unless that character suits Luna's father, of course!
MissRastaban is offline   Reply With Quote