Thread: Adventure: The Tale of Two - Sa16+
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
princess of*hp*
Ravenclaw
Hinkypunk

Graduated

Diagon Alley Employee:
Amadeus Alfred Kipling
Owl Post Office Assistant
x7
Lady Lem|DJ Melfoy|Braedeus ♥ Stumble|Bebé Melón|B2|Andee & Melsse|Melephone

Ch 2
It was Monday morning and Agyness’s first official day of work. She dressed herself in the most presentable outfit she could find in her wardrobe, which was a fitted, short-sleeved, jet black dress that reached a little longer than mid-thigh and had a loose, hanging turtleneck. She then proceeded to put on black tights and flat, ankle-high, black boots. As she examined herself in the mirror, she laughed at herself. She knew that she didn’t look completely professional, but she wanted to keep some of her teenage flair for as long as she could. Right before Agyness was to leave, a tiny, palm-sized owl promptly flew in through her window and dropped and small piece of parchment onto her bed. It ruffled it’s fluffy feathers as it steadied itself. “Hi, Pigwidgeon,” She cooed at the owl before he flew back out into the early morning sunlight. Agyness picked up the letter and read the perfect handwriting:

Dear Agyness,
I (or we rather) hope you have a fabulous first day of work! Harry, Ron, and I are currently searching for Macnair in an undisclosed location. Sorry, darling! I really want to tell you, but I wouldn’t want to risk the chance that little Pig might get intercepted. Don’t forget what I told you the other day; as Mad-Eye used to say, “Constant vigilance!” There’s no telling how long that we might be gone, so please try to hang in there before we return!
With Love, Hermione

Agyness finished the letter and almost rolled her eyes. It was sweet that her friends cared about her so much, but it was starting to become cumbersome to have to deal with reminders of “constant vigilance!” Agyness set the piece of parchment to the side, and apparated to the Ministry of Magic’s Entry Level. After checking in at the front desk with a rather portly, middle-aged security guard, she made her way through the bustling level to one of the many cramped elevators. After observing the coming and going of many (like an elderly witch levitating an ominously bubbling cauldron in front of herself and a frantic wizard whose Quick Quotes Quill was scribbling down notes on a clipboard as he muttered), she finally reached the correct level. The smooth female voice that seemingly came from nowhere spoke, “Level two, Department of Magical Law Enforcement, including the Improper Use of Magic Office, Auror Headquarters, and Wizengamot Administration Services.” Agyness was the only person to step from the elevator, as most of the other employees had reached their destination before she had.

She made a slow stroll down the hall, searching for a door emblazoned with the words, “MALFOY OFFICE.” She reached the door and inwardly laughed to herself. Along with the words that she had been searching for, the door was numbered. It was, of course, numbered like all of the other offices. However, this one was inscribed with the number, “13”. Coincidence? She thought not. Agyness nervously knocked on the door with her knuckles, expecting the worst.

“Come in,” the sound of a deep, male drawl emanated from behind the door. Before turning the doorknob and plunging into the unknown, she took one last deep breath. A tall, black leather chair was positioned behind a desk and was facing a roaring fireplace. Definitely the work of magic. The chair was so tall that Agyness could not at all see the man she was to be mentored by for the next year. The room was decorated in the complete opposite way that Hermione’s office was. It was definitely organized, but it was just… bleak. The only color in the room came from the light from the fireplace, the green and gray of various Slytherin decorations positioned through the room, and the cherry wood that was the desk. Absolutely everything else, most of the furniture, the walls, even the carpet, was black. With the sound of a swishing wand, the door closed and a chair appeared at Agyness’s feet. “Indication for me to sit,” She considered to herself before taking a seat. The man turned in his chair to face her.

It was him. Not at all as she had expected, of course. Agyness had been expecting a short, plump young man with a permanent scowl plastered onto his face and already graying hair. Instead, it was the attractive man that she had bumped into the other day. Agyness was, once again, speechless. After taking a look at her, the man spoke teasingly, “Gave you a fright, did I?” A sneer formed on his face. Agyness relaxed at his seemingly playful comment, “To tell the truth, you did. You knew that you were going to be mentoring me, when you took me to the elevator?” “Of course,” He responded, fighting back a laugh. “It’s fun to have a little sport with the new aurors, especially the pretty ones,” He finished with a self-satisfied smile and a gleam in his eyes. “Cute.” She responded with a slightly sarcastic grin, “So, how do you want to be addressed, seeing as I’m basically a minion of yours for the next year? Mr. Malfoy, perhaps?” “Oh, Supreme Ruler will be just fine…” He responded, and then said, “Kidding! Kidding!” when he noticed her look of shock.

“Actually,” he began again, “Draco would be just fine. I usually don’t give my apprentices that privilege, but you’re a special case.” She laughed, then teasingly asked, “And why would I be the one exception?” It took a second before Draco gave her that look of his that made all women melt. After he had sufficiently silenced her, Draco rose from his chair and strolled to the door, leaving it open for her. “Shall we get down to business?” he said. She nodded and walked out of the open door.

As they walked in silence down the corridor, Agyness noticed something a bit unnerving, but also a bit comical. She and Draco were matching. The only difference was that he was wearing a head-to-toe fitted black suit instead of a dress. “We could pass for a well-to-do wizarding couple, depending on the scenery,” she humorously thought to herself. As they walked, the door to Hermione’s office was ajar. A janitor was in there doing a bit of tidying up while the room’s occupant was away. Through the open door, Draco and Agyness could catch a wide view of Hermione’s bulletin board, plastered with villains of old and new. Agyness noticed Draco slightly wince as they passed by. She thought of asking, but knew it was better not to ruin her first day of work with a rude question.

They reached the elevator, stepped inside, and the doors closed. The only sound was the soft jazz music that emanated from a speaker on the ceiling. Draco made no move to press a button, but instead commanded, “Take my arm.” He stuck out his right arm in front of Agyness, to her bemusement. “What?” She responded. “Just do it,” He ordered. She half-willingly complied and waited for his next move. Suddenly, it felt as if Agyness was being compacted from all sides. That was a feeling that usually accompanied…

“We’ve apparated!” Agyness almost whispered, pleasantly surprised. It was beautiful. They were now in a meadow. There were many trees surrounding them, one with a beehive hanging from it and singing birds in the others. A soft breeze made the brownish-green grass rustle slightly and some smooth, green leaves fall from their high branches. The sun shone so brightly the glare was almost blinding. As Agyness stood in amazement, Draco stood off to the side under the shade of a tree, his arms crossed across his chest and evidently pleased with himself. As Agyness traipsed over to him with a smile playing on her lips, she asked, “Care to explain?”

“Well,” he began, “This is a Ministry practice site. Some people from the Department of Magical Games and Sports come to play Quidditch, potioneers come here to experiment with concoctions that might be dangerous if used elsewhere, and,” he took a dramatic pause, “aurors come here to train.” “Okay,” Agyness nodded, and now beneath the shade of the tree she sat on a boulder, “What was with the elevator, and why haven’t muggles discovered this place and turned it into a housing project or something?” “Oh,” He began with a chuckle, “the elevator was just a bit more sport for my own sake. And as for those bloody muggles,” Agyness cringed, as she was a half-blood, “the same charm that was placed on Hogwarts is in effect here. If any non-magical person approaches, it looks like No Man’s Land. Muggles just assume that there are some buried mines from a long ago battle, so they leave and go on with their business rather than risking losing a limb.” “Just as I thought,” She absentmindedly answered as she examined a bird feeding its chicks. “Then why did you ask?” Draco spat, perturbed that he wasted some of his precious breath for nothing. “Oh, just a little bit of my own sport…” She responded, now looking at him with an amused grin.

“Fine then,” Draco sputtered, not knowing whether to be annoyed or amused, and began to briskly stroll out into the middle of the meadow, his sleek blond hair glistening in the sun. “Let’s begin.”