View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 03:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
chaostori1985
Hufflepuff
Gnome

Talking Chapter 6

Yay, I have 4 readers now. I'm such a dork about getting new readers that I shall post a new chapter quicker when I get one. So here's chapter 6. Once again, let me know what you think.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 6: A New Arrival

Out of nowhere, an arm grabbed her around the waist and pulled her into a side passage. Before she could scream a hand was placed on her mouth. She tried to turn her head; eyes filled with panic and knew, even before she saw him, who her attacker had been.

“Malfoy!” She hissed through his fingers, and bit his hand.

“Ouch!” he released her and quickly pulled out his wand.

“I thought I’d recognized you, Bloom. I wouldn’t call for help if I were you, not if you want to live to tell that is. What are you still doing here anyway? And what were you doing in the dungeons?” He looked confused and when she took a closer look at him, he didn’t seem to be his usual arrogant self. It gave her the courage to withstand him.

“Shouldn’t I be asking YOU this, Malfoy?” she asked coldly. Tori felt a lot calmer than a few seconds ago. He didn’t look like a big threat at all. Well, if she could get rid of the wand that was.

“Take me to Snape.” He demanded.

“I shouldn’t think I’d have to tell you where he is. Did Voldemort brainwash you so thoroughly, that you don’t remember where your Head of House resides?” the sarcastic tone came natural to her and she say that it had some effect on him. He looked at her like he was lost and in turmoil when he snapped:

“He’s not in potions class, nor in his office. I checked. Now, where is that rat?”

“Talking about me, Draco?” Snape had snuck up on them in his usual silent and stealthy fashion. For once, Tori was grateful for that and she sighed with relief.

“Please be so kind as to release Miss Bloom. After all, we wouldn’t want any accidents to happen, would we?” he continued to talk in a very soft and slow manner, like he was soothing an upset child, and in a way he was. Draco shot quick glances from Tori to Snape, as if unsure what he should do next. He started to tremble when he cried out in agony:

“Why did you do it?!?!”

This question obviously had been troubling him for a long time and when he finally confronted his former mentor, the tears came running down his cheeks. His whole body was now shaking.

Snape didn’t look surprised at this turn of events, went up to him, took his wand and embraced him, gently talking to him. Tori removed herself from the scene; clearly Snape was going to be able to handle the situation. With one last look at the pair of them, one now carrying the other, she went to her quarters.

He took Draco to his private quarters and laid him down on a comfortable sofa. Draco followed him with his eyes as he made them some tea. Then Snape sat down, next to his former student and turned towards him.

“Now, we’re all alone and you can ask me anything you want. I will not harm you, nor will I judge you.” He tried to be as comforting as he could, knowing that the young man was on the verge of collapsing.

“How could you betray Lord Voldemort? I always admired you and now it turns out that you’ve been double-crossing us all along.”

Snape thought a while before he spoke. There was no easy answer to this. He decided that he would be completely honest with Draco. “At one time I was very sure that I knew right from wrong, just like you do.”

He paused a bit and continued. “When I was about your age, I only felt complete when I was at Voldemort’s side. I felt like I was on top of the world when I was around so much power that could be reflected onto me.”

Noticing the eager nods from Draco, Snape was now sure he was on the right track and continued, “I couldn’t describe how my first killing affected me. Nothing compares to having someone’s life in your hands.”

A little pause and a slight sigh. “It wasn’t until much later that I realized what it had done to me.”

Hearing these sorrowful words, Draco lowered his head and murmured: “But didn’t you like and enjoy it then?”

“Oh yes, I thoroughly enjoyed myself; I was getting completely numb to any other human emotion though. No other feeling could compare to the thrill of ending a life and knowing that you did it all because you have the ability to do so, not because you have to, just because you feel like it.”

Snape was now portraying a very ugly and scary version of himself and he didn’t want to reside in these darker parts of his memory. He hoped he could make Draco see sense very soon.

Many emotions were being reflected on Draco’s face. He went from disbelief, repulsion, then to hope. “What made you change?” he seemed very interested to know, almost like this had been the real question he had wanted to know the answer to.

“Well, at first it was just sheer boredom. The killings had become too easy for me and I wanted another challenge. I wanted to give Voldemort a present.”

“What then?” Draco was now completely hanging on Snape’s every word.

“Who, to be more precisely. I wanted to give him the head of his worst adversary.”

“You mean…”

“Yes, Dumbledore. I went to Dumbledore, threw myself at his feet and begged him to save me from Voldemort. Convinced him to believe I wanted to change my ways.”

Draco spread his eyes wide open and dropped his mouth.

“I cannot clearly recall what it was that actually made me want to change. Maybe it was Dumbledore’s unconditional belief in me and his continuous support, I don’t know. But one day, I woke up and was disgusted with myself. I went up to see Dumbledore, told him everything and expected him to kill me, as Voldemort would have. It was then that I experienced just how big the difference between the two wizards was and how powerful the gift of forgiveness can be.”

He paused again to let this all sink into Draco’s mind. The younger wizard looked calm now. “I would like to see Dumbledore myself.” He finally said.

“Of course, you can see him in the morning. For now, stay here and rest.”

The sofa was turned into a bed and after taking a sleeping potion, Draco fell asleep immediately, completely exhausted.

Snape left the room. He needed to see Dumbledore to talk about this night’s events. He also needed to speak to Tori. He didn’t think she would tell the whole school of Draco’s return, but still, it was better to be safe than sorry.

Dumbledore had been most understanding. He said that Snape was doing a great job as Head of the Slytherin House, and was the best person to guide Draco through this time, considering his own experience. They would create a room for Draco, next to Snape’s to shield him from the students. All precautions had to be made to make sure none of this reached Voldemort’s ears.

Snape felt a bit uncomfortable, knocking on Tori’s door at 11:00 in the evening, but apparently she had expected him and opened the door almost immediately.

“Hm, Tori, I’m sorry to bother you at this time, but I just wanted to make sure you understand Draco’s presence should be kept a secret to the students.” He felt a little stupid telling her this; when he suddenly realized she would never participate in idle gossip.

“Of course, Severus.” She felt a bit annoyed by him questioning her discretion. “What happened and where is he now?”

“We’ve had a little talk and he’s going to see Albus tomorrow morning; he is now resting in my quarters, but a room will be made available for him next to mine, from tomorrow on.”

“Will it interfere with our work?” Her tone was cold as ice now and he noticed all too well.

“I don’t think so. He doesn’t have to know what we are working on.”

They had been whispering the whole time, standing just outside Tori’s door. It must have looked pretty suspicious to someone passing through the hallway, on his or her way to the Gryffindor common room for example…

Suddenly they heard a sharp scream and turned to see Shannon Richards staring at them in astonishment. She quickly turned around and slipped through the entrance, but not before Tori had noticed a slight blush and a somewhat bigger knowing smile on her face. Both Tori and Snape had been so surprised that he even forgot to yell: “ten points from Gryffindor for being out late!”

They just stood there, very uncomfortable with the situation. Snape turned and mumbled something that resembled a faint “goodnight” and Tori just stammered: “I’ll talk to her first thing in the morning.”

He just nodded and went back to his dungeon.