View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 04:00 AM   #30 (permalink)
Durro
Gryffindor
Book 7 Theorist
Gnome

I saw it this morning and agree with your review.

It's so much closer to the book in tone and feel. There are lots of little subplots missing, but the major essence of the book is condensed into what I consider to be the best Potter movie yet.

The acting is excellent. Emma Watson toned down her overacting of GoF and does a wonderful job. Rupert's Ron is sensitive and caring and uses dark humour to great effect. Dan's matured well and portrays a tortured, conflicted Harry very well. Luna is excellent and to my great relief, Michael Gambon has finally nailed Dumbledore at last - 3rd time lucky. Dumbledore is serene, all knowing and all powerful, but not so much of the flaky eccentric that Gambon moved Dumbledore towards in movies 3 & 4. It's more like a Richard Harris portayal. I like it. Umbridge is subtly evil and Snape is just great...brooding, wise and demanding.

The effects are great (except the kids on the long bridge at Hogwarts - the background is obviously painted) and the fireworks when the Weasleys leave and the duelling at the climax are fantastic. I liked the collages used via the Daily Prophet to speed the storyline along and the montage of shots of the DA's development.

There are two major lines which change how I look at things and perhaps reinforce some theories in the book seven forum. I won't ruin it, but one's from Malfoy Senior about Harry's scar and the other is from Luna at the end of the movie when talking about being reunited with lost possessions.

We're going back to see it again. It is suitable for older children, so we'll take the kids along next time. There's a lot of implied threats and impending violence, but none of it is too graphic or gory. It adds to the atmosphere but doesn't go over the top. A well made, excellent movie.

Durro
Durro is offline   Reply With Quote