View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
jes_is_bak
Ravenclaw
Bother bother
Puffskein

sorry sorry..here's more! hope you all had happ new years!
**keep in mind during all the next posts that I have no legal expertise whatsoever..just making this cracp up..lol..so sorry if it's wrong or retarded or something..lol!**

Chapter Four: Decisions and Care Packages
Hermione was due back a week later to begin the first pieces of real paperwork for their case. They also would begin setting a preliminary date for Draco’s court case and talking with judges. All week Draco lay in his cell, sat at the lunch table, washed in the communal shower, always thinking of her. In the back of his mind, he knew he should still be crying himself to sleep about Camilla, and what he was being put through; and he did, but there was just something about her, something that captured his attention, day and night, and he couldn’t crack it.

He figured that is was this piece of the puzzle which really made him ponder her re-entrance into his life. The fact that he didn’t know what it was about Hermione Granger that made him think about her constantly was driving him crazy. He knew that she was beautiful, smart, determined - all great features in a woman - but they weren't it.

Draco would realize later, that it wasn’t any of these things that pulled her to his thoughts, but rather the fact that, from the beginning, she had respected him, and didn’t hold any of the stuff from school against him. She couldn’t have been positive, walking into that icy cold room, that he really was changed, but still, she had taken his case and acted professionally and treated him fairly, like any other client.

Draco was sitting in his regular seat in the lunch room when he saw his old bully walk in with his two cronies in tow. He watched as they lumbered across the room to where Jim, the guard, was standing with his arms crossed. Boris and Steven stood back and let their leader talk to Jim in private, while Draco watched with a keen eye. Frank - Draco has found out the guy’s name from someone or other - was telling the guard something that he appeared to be very excited about. Jim was smiling and then he said something; reading the word on his lips, Draco thought it was, “Congratulations”. Frank nodded and clapped Jim on the shoulder, and then they shook hands, and as they did so, Draco noticed a little white box being passed, not so discreetly, between the two men. Then Frank turned and headed straight towards where Draco was sitting.

Draco held his gaze for a few paces and then stared determinedly at his book. It was only when Frank spoke, did he actually look up.

“Hey, I see you’re out of solitary confinement,” he said from somewhere over Draco’s right shoulder. Turning his head towards the voice, Draco saw Frank holding his pack of cigarettes which he had just received from the guard. He knocked the butt of the box against the table next to Draco’s right elbow and then opened the pack. He took one out and placed it in his mouth before reaching into the pocket of his prison shirt and retrieving a lighter. He flicked it twice with no success, and then on the third try, a bright orange flame sprung from the lighter. He grazed over the end of his cigarette and puffed deeply, exhaling the smoke.

“Mmmmm, tastes good,” he commented to no one in particular. Sticking the cigarette back in his mouth, he extended the box towards Draco and nodded; you want one?

Draco looked at the pack for a second and then reached out his hand and lifted a cigarette out. Frank smiled and put the box in the pocket with his lighter, offering his own cigarette as a lighter. Draco held it against the end of his own and sucked until it lit. He almost coughed; he hadn’t smoked in a long time.

Taking a seat on the bench across from Draco, Frank took a deep drag and breathed the smoke out through his nose. Then he looked up at Draco and smiled.

“Celebratory smokes,” he said, grinning. Draco cocked his head to the side, wondering what there was to celebrate in this shizkabah-hole. “I get out in a week, just heard this morning,” Frank said, answering Draco’s unspoken question.

Draco flicked the end of his cigarette, but didn’t respond. Frank decided to carry on the conversation himself. “Yep, I guess it’s true what they say: if you got a good enough lawyer, you can get away with murder.” He laughed heartily before adding, “She was a fine lookin’ wench anyway…didn’t mind those one on one sessions we had.”

This comment made Draco look up, sharply and he spoke before realizing that he didn’t talk to this man. “What was her name?” he fired, accusingly.

“Oh, so he talks,” Frank smiled and thought about it for a second. “Began with an H,” he muttered, and Draco’s heart missed a beat as he swallowed roughly, taking a drag on his cigarette to try and pass the time quicker. “No, wait, I remember. Her name was Tonya somethin’..Tonya, Tonya what…” but Draco had stopped listening. Hermione had not been the one to represent Frank, he could breathe again.

“Well, anyway, lunch is almost over,” Frank said as he stood up and dropped his half-finished cigarette on the floor, stubbing it out with the toe of his boot. He began to walk away before turning back to add something.

“Hey, kid,” he said to Draco, who looked up. “You’re in charge when I leave; good luck with these two.” And then he turned and walked out of the lunch room, leaving Draco sitting on his bench, his hardly-eaten meal still sitting on the table, his cigarette hanging out of his partly open mouth.

Draco sat in the cold, metal chair a day later, waiting for Hermione to arrive. He had slept even less the night before, knowing she would be coming in the morning, than he usually did in his cell. He knew he looked terrible, but this wasn’t what worried him. Today they would be looking over the evidence and deciding, even though they both knew where they personally stood, whether he would plead guilty or innocent to the charges brought against him. In his mind, Draco couldn’t see how he could plead innocent and have the judge let him off. He had gone over the evidence in his head, and it was just too murky, but then again, he still wasn’t thinking straight; that was his lawyer’s job. He looked up when he heard the doorknob turn and a second later, Hermione appeared in the doorway, holding her briefcase in one hand and balancing a large thermos and a box of doughnuts in her other. Draco stood to help her with her things, taking the food and drink and placing them on the table.

“Thank-you,” she said, laying her suitcase across from him on the table and taking seat. “I thought some real food would be nice this time, not that crap they gave you at our last meeting.” She smiled and clicked her case open, removing a few paper and taking a pen out of her jacket pocket.

“Thanks,” he muttered, almost shyly. The doughnuts and coffee from last time had been horrible, but almost anything tasted better than what he was used to in the cafeteria. He took the top off of the thermos and poured himself a cup of coffee, lifting the cap to his mouth. He almost cried at how good it tasted; the first real piece of food he had had in over a month.

“Good?” she asked, watching him carefully.

He nodded, “Yes, thank-you. You can imagine how well they feed us in here, so this is bliss.”

“I noticed. I left a food package for you with the guard, and trust me, you’ll get it if I have anything to say about the matter. I like my clients to be well fed and healthy, otherwise, there’s no way we’ll win our case. Try a doughnut, they’re delicious,” she motioned towards the box. He opened the box and took out a white powdered pastry, and took a bite.

“Yum,” he heard himself saying, and then instantly blushing. “I mean, thanks, it’s great. All of it.”

“You’re welcome. Now,” she pushed a large packet of copies over to him, “let’s get down to business.”

Draco nodded and wiped his hands together to get rid of the doughnut residue, flipping through the pages of information in front of him.

Several hours later, they were still going through notes, writing and rewriting possible statements and accounts of the night Camilla had been murdered and Draco had been arrested.

“Ok, so we actually have a pretty strong case for your innocence, and even if you decided to plead guilty, you might still be looking at 25 to life, depending on your judge. The two charges brought against you, rape and murder, are taken very seriously in this court, and can bring with them very heavy penalties. Of course, it’s up to you, in the end, because if we plead innocent and you’re found guilty of your charges, you’ll almost certainly get life without chance of parole, so you need to think about that and tell me at our next meeting, a week from now.” She began to gather up her paper into her briefcase and clicked her pen shut. “You can keep those papers, they’re yours and take the doughnuts with you, too.” She snapped her case shut and stood.

“A very nice meeting, Mr. Malfoy,” she extended her hand and he stood and shook it. She moved towards the door and had it halfway open when he spoke, suddenly.

“I want to plead innocent,” he said, staring straight into her eyes when she turned.

“Are you sure? You have time-“

“I’m innocent and I know we can win this. That’s my choice,” he replied, firmly.

She nodded. “I’ll start the paperwork tonight.”
Draco called her attention back into the room before she left. "Hey! Hermione?" he asked,a nds he looked back at him.
"Yes?"
"I just wondered, you recently represented a man named Frank from this block.." he trailed off quietly. The last few days, Draco had been worrying that Frank was lying or simply couldn't remember his lawyer's name. He waited for her response.
"No," she replied, and reflief flooded through Draco. "No, I've never even represented any man from this institution before. You're my first. I guess Malfoys are good at those sorts of things." She smiled at him and didn't ask him why he wondered.
Then she pushed the door open the rest of the way, looked back at him once, and left down the hallway, her heels clicking on the linoleum floor.

Draco walked slowly back down the hall towards his cell. As she passed Frank's small cell, he saw him lying on his bed, smoking a cigarette from his celebratory pack. Frank looked at Draco and nodded, smiling crookedly as he held up one finger to show he had just one more day left. Draco put two fingers to his forehead and gave Frank the salute, smiling despite himself; he wouldn't have to kick Frank's bum-bum today...
When the guard opened the door to his cell and led him back in, he made no attempt to take away Draco’s box of doughnuts, just nodded his head and then shut and locked the door behind him. Draco’s eyes roved around his cell and stopped in the corner, where a neatly put-together box sat, complete with a red bow, tied by hand. Draco walked over and sat down to examine his care package. On top was a folded piece of paper, which he picked up and opened. Inside was Hermione’s neat writing:

Draco,

Stay healthy, and get more sleep; I need you in this case.

Hermione

Draco put the note aside and began to take things out of the box. There was a lot of fruit including: a few bananas, some apples and several large oranges. But there was also a small bag of homemade oatmeal raisin cookies and several bottles of water and soda. A few other small items littered the bottom of the fake-grass strewn box, small candies and chocolates. He also saw a rolled up something next to the package. He picked it up and pulled off the rubber band and unrolled it.

Draco laughed out loud when he saw that it was a small poster of the British National Quidditch Team, but stopped when he heard the grunt of the guard outside his cell. She had also left some tape, so he picked it up and began to tape the poster to the cement wall and stood back to admire his handy-work.

Then he lay down on the hard floor, which - miraculously - didn’t feel so hard anymore, and smiled as he placed a chocolate in his mouth.

They might just win this thing.

Finished Fics: 'A Dangerous Love''As the Waves Break'This Story Has No Title''The Sting of a Broken Man 'Kissing Him'
and'Tomorrow Is Just Over The Horizon'

Works in Progress: ' 'All the World's a Stage...'

"I like my coffee like I like my women: hot and black - and with a plastic spoon in them."
~Eddie Izzard

-- Ronald Weasley Drabble Fics --

Last edited by Ozzy; 05-14-2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Tsk tsk, language m'dear.