View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
jes_is_bak
Ravenclaw
Bother bother
Puffskein

hey all! thanks for your quick comments! i just got it up yesterday and already readers! yayness! lol

here's the next chapter, should clear some stuff up...the beginning is wee bit graphic tho, so if you get sick easily, maybe you skip it...it'll be talked about later!

Chapter two: Murders and Jail Fights

“Camilla!” he screamed through the door as he fumbled with his keys. He jammed one in the slot but it didn’t fit. Turning the knob anyway, he was surprised to see that the door was open. He pushed it open and hurried into the apartment.

The smell of cooked ham and potatoes filled the room and he hurried towards the kitchen. He stopped suddenly as he reached the doorway.

“Camilla!” he cried, rushing over to where she lay on the cold, tiled floor. He turned her over and convulsed at what he saw. Camilla’s body was limp but her eyes were open. There were several gashes on her forehead and cheeks; blood had dried on the floor around her and there were red patches across her chest. Red scratch marks covered her shoulders and neck.

Draco cried as he rocked her body back and forth, his chest heaving as he tried to keep breathing. His keys fell to the floor and landed next to one of her earrings which had apparently been ripped from her ear in the struggle.

Camilla’s skirt was around her ankles and Draco began to pull it back up her legs in an effort to fix the situation.

“One thing at a time,” he told himself out loud. “Soon this will all be better…”

The sound of sirens filled the air as Draco kissed Camilla’s bloody cheeks. He sobbed into her ripped blouse and muttered in her ear.

“Wake up, please wake up…Camilla, you have to wake up...this isn’t happening. Not to me...” His voice drifted off as he heard banging on the door.

“Police department!” someone yelled from what seemed like forever away. “We’re coming in!”

Draco awoke on the hard, cold stone floor with a start. He could see dawn creeping in through the tiny barred window so many feet above him and sat up. Somewhere in the distance he heard a bird chirping in a reminder that the rest of the world was still living outside of the walls of his cell.

He shivered in his scanty prison clothes and rubbed his hands over his face. As he slapped himself on the cheek to make himself wake up, the grinding metal on stone sound drifted to his ears.

He swore to himself as the guard opened his door.

“Good-morning Mr. Malfoy, the boys are ready for you,” the man grinned, revealing several silver fillings and a missing tooth. Draco pushed himself off the floor and followed the large black man down the hall without objecting.

High-security inmates at the Cambridge County Jail were allowed out of their cells twice a day. The first was at 6.00 in the morning to get a lukewarm breakfast consisting of a mushy brown substance they called oatmeal and, if they were lucky, some spoiled cottage cheese or yogurt. The second wasn’t until late at night so the men could use the toilet. Every two weeks they went in groups to use the communal shower.

Draco was lucky enough to not have attended a shower party yet during his stay.

After breakfast they got 10 minutes of free time to socialize with the other criminals on their ward. Time like that could only lead to trouble.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Draco stepped away from the line with his tray and headed towards his usual table at the back. In the corner was a dismal pile of books and magazines for the few inmates who could read and wanted to. Draco scanned the titles and picked up a copy of Marshall’s Guide to Trees and Shrubs and sat down to eat. He had read the thick book several times in the few days he had been at the prison but it was far better than his other choices. Jason, a scrawny, nervous-looking inmate sat at the other end of the table holding an atlas of British Isles and was staring intently at an enlarged map of Cornwall.

Draco noticed that he was holding the book upside down.

As Draco turned the page of his book, he heard Jason emit a shrill squeak from down the table.

“Shut up, Jay, it’s just a mouse,” he said, without looking up from his book. Jason was the only person Draco talked to in the prison.

A second later he heard a thump and looked up to see his friend on the floor. A tall, muscled man with a bald head and a tattoo of a naked woman on his arm was standing over him, his cronies flanking him behind his back.

Draco felt a many memories whistling back from so long ago and pushed them away as he stood up. He was a mere five-foot eight inches to this at least six and a half foot man, but he faced him with a set jaw. He scanned the two men behind him; the one on the left was pretty strong and his mangled hair hung to his shoulders. He shot a seething glare at Draco. The other was small, maybe shorter than Draco with cropped brown hair. He crossed his arms over his chest and tried to look menacing but the sight almost made Draco laugh out loud.

The front man advanced towards Draco, slowly. Out of the corner of his eye, Draco saw Jason shoot up and run away, petrified sobs echoing through the room as he made a bee-line for the exit. The men let him go, turning their gaze back on Draco.

Finally, when he was so close to Draco that he could smell the smuggled cigarettes on his breathe, the tall man spoke in a gruff voice.

“I hear you’re the new guy on the block. Think you’re pretty tough.” He stated it but waited as if he expected a response. He sniffed.

“Just like I thought.” He set his steely gaze directly on Draco’s eyes; neither man blinked. “I been watching you. You don’t talk to no one ‘cept your squirmy little friend over there. Don’t worry, he lightens up when you get to know him,” he laughed huskily at his own demented joke. Draco let his eyes squint tighter but still, he didn’t talk.

He looked back at his boys before talking again.

“So you really are a quiet one, eh? I guess we’ll just have to fix that.” He smiled evily. “Why don’t you follow Boris and Steve to that little room over there. We got some business to attend to.” He turned and walked from the room. The two cronies watched him for a second, waiting for Draco to move. He remained where he was standing.

“C’mon now,” the one named Steve called to him. His grin revealed a severe lack of dental hygiene. “Don’t wanna keep the boss waiting.” He wheezed as he laughed and turned to the taller man. Boris raised his hand and brought down across Steve’s head with a loud Whack!

“Shut up, you idiot,” he said in a low rumble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The two men had Draco pinned to the floor. He had refused to follow them and wouldn’t give them an explanation. The little one had his hands pinned out to the side while the bigger one punched him repeatedly in the face. Draco felt a steady flow of blood beginning from his nose.

“Ah ha ha! This is fun; we haven’t got to do this in so long,” the little one practically giggled his excitement. Draco took advantage of the man’s momentary lapse and pulled his arms free from his grasp. From the floor he threw one perfect punch at the other man’s face and used his reaction time to push him away. Draco scrambled to his feet.

“****!” cried the large man, his muscles tensing as he felt his nose to see what the damage was. Draco could see a crowd of orange-clad men had assembled on the outer edges of the room. Draco saw a few of them holing up prize souvenirs they appeared to be using to bet on the men with.

To bet on my life with…

The guy who had left the room was back. He hung around the door with his arms folded across his chest as he watched the fight play out. A sneer played across his lips as he looked Draco’s body up and down. The guard at the door appeared as interested in the outcome of the fight as the prisoners were; he wasn’t about to do anything to stop it.

He turned back to see the men ready to come at him again. He had never fought in his life, but he knew he had to do something.

As the small man lunged at him, Draco simply stepped aside. Everyone watched as he flew to the floor and skidded a few feet. A loud crack resounded through the room as his nose hit the concrete. The crowd hooted and hollered their approval as he struggled to get up. Blood pooled on the floor around him and his uniform was stained bright red.

Boris shot a look at Draco before walking over to help his friend. The guard finally moved from his post in the corner and told Steve he was going to the infirmary to get that nose looked at. He radioed the other guards who appeared a minute later to bring the inmates back to their cells. Several men slapped Draco on the back as they held up their winnings greedily.

A nurse came in to get Steve and handed a wet cloth to Boris as she reached them

“Clean up your face with that, honey” she said in a sweet voice. She shot Draco a look as if she was daring him to ask where his cloth was. A guard took him by the arm and began to lead him out of the hall.

As he passed the third man at the door, he heard something whispered near his ear.

“I’ll be seeing you..”

Only once he was back locked up in his cell did he find out that he wouldn’t be allowed out for a month. He would be given one meal a day through the slot in his door. Draco didn’t complain when they gave him his punishment, just pinched his nose with his shirt in an effort to stem the flow of blood down his chin.

Notes:
Cambridge Country Jail is made up (as far as I know..lol) I live in the States and just decided they would live in Cambridge and then made up a prison from there...
Sorry for anyone who reads 'tomorrow is just over the horizon' about the Jason thing..I wrote this a long time ago and didn't even realize until after I went back to edit it and put it back up here! I wonder what it is about that name..lol
hehe, the book he reads is a shoutout to my family, lol..our surname is marshall and my dad loves trees and such..lol..again as far as i know, not a real book...my friends live in Cornwall so thats for them..lol

more soon, but i only have 4 chapters written so i want to start adding to it again v. soon...might be a little while until i post again!
~Jes xo

Finished Fics: 'A Dangerous Love''As the Waves Break'This Story Has No Title''The Sting of a Broken Man 'Kissing Him'
and'Tomorrow Is Just Over The Horizon'

Works in Progress: ' 'All the World's a Stage...'

"I like my coffee like I like my women: hot and black - and with a plastic spoon in them."
~Eddie Izzard

-- Ronald Weasley Drabble Fics --