View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 06:37 PM

Post John Kenney talks turning down Potter

John Kenney, an editor who declined to publish 'Philosopher's Stone', has spoken in The International Herald Tribune about why he chose to turn down Potter. He insists that he does not regret the decision and refers to parts of the book as 'drivel'.

Quote:
February, perhaps March of the next year, I received a call from J.K. Rowling herself. She asked if I had had a chance to read her manuscript. I'm always embarrassed when fledgling writers get me on the phone. Most are sad, lonely people with no real means of income.

I said I enjoyed her work a great deal, but that it didn't meet our needs at this time - the standard industry brushoff. There was a pause and I thought the line had gone dead when I heard laughing. "Mr. Wortham," she said with a light British accent. "I was calling as a courtesy, actually. To tell you that I sold the book. To Scholastic. For..." The line went dead. Or perhaps I passed out. I forget which.

My wife left me. Did I mention that?
Quote:
At lunch some time later I overheard our chief executive talking about the success of the Rowling book. So I happened to mention, with a chuckle, that we'd had a chance to buy it.

Why is it that one remembers a long pause? "Chief?" I said, though to this day I don't know why, as no one called him that. "You what?" he asked, his voice trembling slightly. "May I speak with you in my office?"
Read the rest of the very funny article at The International Herald Tribune

Source: Writers Blog via VTM