Thread: DADA Lesson #1
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2022, 12:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
Freyr
Gryffindor
Jarvey

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Luther Apollo Starriver
Gryffindor
Second Year
Astrophile

SPOILER!!: DADA Lesson
SPOILER!!: Professor's Response
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charely Potter View Post

If the glowing hands weren't one sign for a new entry in the classroom, the brief view of outside the classroom appeared in the corner of Professor Madigan's eyes as a student slipped in. "Glad to see you join us at last Master Starriver, that will, unfortunately, cost you 5 points on the late entry," Though he did respect the young lad's ownership of the action, along with his answer, "The quiet before the storm.. That's an excellent sign."
SPOILER!!: Arundo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charely Potter View Post

"Excellent everyone," Professor Madigan said, even those quietly observing were appreciated. Now it was time to move on. "As a number of you have noticed, the spots in the distance of the tree will be a focus for a number of you today." How so? "We will be using an Arrow shooting spell on some targets today." As for why, "As I'm sure you could picture or have experienced, casting a spell on the enemy will do well but things escalate and can be life-threatening. This arrow spell in particular is one of the many variations. Arundo. It will send an icy-blue arrow and depending on where it hits the target they will be paralyzed. Say you use Arundo aiming at another one's arm, well that arm is unable to move unless the arrow is removed. It won't leave a wound or risk or serious ailments. Think of it as using the body-binding spell Petrificus Totalus but on a smaller part of the body." That should explain the gist of it.

"Now repeat after me, Arundo... Ah-roon-doe," Pausing to hear the class repeat it, "The wand movement is a curved checkmark starting from the longer end. To avoid any accidental shots on others, let's aim at the ground in front of you. If done correctly you'll see an icy-blue arrow that will remain in the ground. It's okay if you don't get it the first time as I imagine a number of... predicaments could make this more of a challenge, the arrow may break off immediately in that case," If things didn't turn out as expected well, that bridge will have to be crossed eventually.

Professor Madigan then made the curved check mark symbol, "Arundo," At the ground almost immediately if one didn't blink could see an icy-blue arrow shoot out onto the ground sticking up from the grass. To those curious, "And yes, it is possible to send a stream of them at once, but that requires more time of practice," More than what can be covered in a single lesson, unfortunately. "Now, it's your turn to give it a try."

--
OOC: So now you can practice the Arrow-shooting spell, saying it and then performing it on the ground. You're free to partner with another if you want, but can easily do it alone if your character wishes. Class will continue in at least 48 hours, but feel free to ask Professor Madigan any questions in between.

Luther cursed the poltergeist once again. It was not his fault that he was late. He was trying to dim the glowing but whenever he lost focus, the glow returned with full power. With a sigh, he said simply "Sorry Professor." and tried to let go of his indignation and cursed the poltergeist once more and then thought 'It is a fun trick at least.'

With his hands tucked in his pockets, Luther listened to Professor Madigan intently. Then he quietly mouthed the incantation slowly. After a few tries, he tried it vocally without his wand, "Ah-roon-doh. Ah-ron-dough. Ah-roon-doe. Arundo.", he did not want to harm anyone, 'Now that would be my mistake.' he thought and chuckled to himself.

When he was sure he got the incantation right, Luther took his wand out and pointed at the ground. Then without saying the incantation, he moved his wand just like the Professor described. At least that's what Luther thought he did. An idle thought ran through Luther's mind 'The glow looks good while I am casting to be honest.' In his 9th attempt, not that Luther counted, a pale almost transparent arrow shoot out from his wand. A proud smile appeared on his face. Then he noticed that his hair was falling down his face and he was playing with the ribbon in his left hand. 'I must have untied it while trying to cast the spell.' thought Luther and then he started to cast Arundo again and again where the evidence of his success stayed stuck.