Thread: DADA Lesson #1
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2022, 01:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
Charely Potter
St. Mungo's Mod
WWW Mod

DERP & DMGS
Doxy

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ean Zoilo Feirgrund
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kion Baltasar Ingebretson
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Darej Ethan Patterson
Ecological Protection

Ministry RPG Name:
Firash Zarko Grunt
Games & Sports
x8 x7
• HuffleStud • Knight of The Zodiac • Manly Beard-Grower • Cicatrice de Harry •

SPOILER!!: responses
Quote:
Originally Posted by aRogueOne View Post
Hooper watched as student after student filed into the classroom. He even managed to spare them a nod and smile as they entered and sat down on the stump. It wasn’t until Yu-kie-oh sat down on the stump next to him that he spoke. “Is it time to duel already?” a cheeky smile on his face now as his mind flashed back to the day he’d spent in a rhododendron bush costume in Diagon Alley.

Just as he was about to burst into conversation however, the lesson started. Eager not to get another detention under his belt, quickly turned his attention to the lesson at hand. “I mean I hope it’s wild professor. I hate lessons where we just write.” Was he supposed to say that to a professor? Oops. Never mind. Time for the lesson to move on, quickly.

Listening to the Professors words carefully, Hooper took a moment to actually really think before he answered out loud. “Uhhh….honestly Professor, I think it’s kind of weird that there are a load of tree stumps around here. Like, who cut these trees? Why these trees? Why leave the stumps? If we have magic, surely whoever did this would take the whole tree? And what’s happened to the rest of the tree Professor, huh? HUH?” It was all very suspicious.
The Professor too wasn't a fan of writing as he smiled kindly at that comment. It was unfortunately required... but not today luckily. "Very valid questions," Madigan nodded, "It is important to question as much as possible to remain vigilant no matter the circumstance," Excellent questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post
The important thing was that she hadn’t hurt Professor Madigan. She hated to think of the consequences if she had hurt him or someone else accidentally. She had noticed these weird happenings with her for a bit now and could not pinpoint how this came to be. Once, there had even been a tiny tornado but that had occurred when she had been alone in the girl’s bathroom. She needed to talk to Caes, to ask him if anything funny was happening with him. However, she did notice things happening with some of her classmates - the flowers and what not. Were they all connected??

The Slytherin sat there in moody silence, watching all the happenings all around her. Right now, Aria just wanted to crawl back into bed and take a nap. It was too late for that now for Madigan had gotten started. What would make the ‘forest’ they were in suspicious? Had she felt something off outdoors? Aria thought then cautiously raised her hand, her fingers curled into her palms so that she made a fist. No usual wiggling fingers today.

“Once I was out in the yard at home working on a project when I thought I could feel eyes on me. You know that weird feeling you get that you’re being watched? There didn’t seem to be anyone around but it was just my brother. He thought it would be fun to jump out at me to scare me plus dump glitter on my head.” Aria rolled her eyes. Caes was so immature! “Anyway, from then I know to pay better attention to my surroundings whenever I observe that feeling.”
What an eventful memory, "My goodness, it's a good thing you were aware of that feeling in particular. It's best to never ignore your own suspicions." Very good response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmesian Feline View Post
Needing a controlled "outdoor" inside space certainly made sense to the sixth year for the professor’s reasoning in answer to a few students wondering why their location was their location. So the occasional rain drizzle WAS part of the professor’s plan, the man seemingly reacting to it as well.

“Sounds…a forest shouldn’t be too quiet like there was no life within it.” Because most if not all forests were biomes teeming with some sort of living things. “If the creature inhabitants of a forest are quiet…or if they are actively reacting way too loudly…something is up.” They were often very much aware of dangers before their human counterparts were, especially those considered more prey in worry of being in potential trouble.
"Well deduced, Master Atreyu-Rehman." Too much of anything rarely ever ended up good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love-for-HP View Post
"Well there's those funny spots up a head." Maxine added motioning forward with her head ... "I don't see them any closer - so I have to say I don't like it for now." Maybe it would turn out to be butterflies or something ... but she didn't like the look of it from a distance.
"Good, its important to spot anything out of the ordinary in the distance incase others are unable to see it," Nodding in approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelliephone View Post
She wouldn't be disappointed??? So they WERE doing target practice!? Oooooh she could not WAIT to see what type of spell they'd be using then! Were they practicing Sectumsempra? That had to do with slashing didn't it?? Although, seemed an unusual choice to teach a bunch of children but once again - there would be no complaints from this little lioness. Because how COOL would it be to know that spell and be able to successfully cast it! Probably not on other people. Her chaos had yet to get to THAT type of a level.

Anyways.

Questions. The most booooooring part of lessons. Primarily because it was SO difficult to sit still, which was probably why History of Magic was where she struggled the most. This was DADA. Couldn't they just... jump right into it. Who needed theory?? Or like... proper application or any of those deets. BUT she'd play the game. Majority of the most obvious answers were taken, outside of the fact that... this wasn't the real outdoors which was VERY sus if you asked her. But instead of pointing that out, she decided to expand on Hooper's answer because she'd already been thinking it too. "The fact that only THESE trees are cut IS very concerning, but not because why THESE so much as... why not those?" She pointed towards the ones with the little dots. "Do they house bowtruckles? Is there mistletoe up there and just like... an infestation of Nargles?"
"Very valid questions, it's good to question why something or the lack of something is happening," Nodding in approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyander View Post
Keighley had momentarily lost herself in her own thoughts and braiding colorful flowers into her hair. How could she resist when there was so many beautiful flowers all around her. By the time Professor Madigan began the lesson, the fourth year had a nice amount of flowers all through her blonde hair.

The warm smile that had been on her face was still there as she pondered over the question that was being asked. Most of what she wanted to say had already been said. Which left her to really think even more. Back to when she had first walked in. Raising her hand she gave her answer, "Well one of the things I did notice was when I first walked in how light it was even through I was clearly walking through a forest. Shouldn't it have been.. darker?" She hadn't given it much thought at the time but now that she was it did seem a little odd.
"Interesting point there," Professor Madigan hadn't actually considered the usual sign of safety with light being viewed as potentially threatening. "It's valuable to always think and acknowledge unusual standards taking place."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harron Peasley View Post
Reuben hadn't been paying that much attention to the Professor when he entered as he was so much more curious about the forest they had entered. Which meant he'd been paying SUPER close attention to his surroundings and was therefore the perfect person to answer this question!

"The spots, sir! On the trees back there," he answered enthusiastically, once he'd been called on. With dramatic gestures, he indicated the trees in the distance. "I don't know much about trees, but it looks weird." Not as weird as the steam that was coming from the young boys ears, though.

With a grimace, Reuben slapped his hands over his ears.
The Professor couldn't hide a smile from the enthusiasm, "Very good spotting, Master Darcy-Stemp," Nodding in approval. He did notice him close his ears so suddenly. Hm? Was the young lad bashful at compliments in public? Poor lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyr View Post
Luther slipped through the door as quietly as he could but his glowing hands made it very almost impossible to be stealthy. But then, the classroom made Luther forget about his glowing hands. There was a whole forest IN the classroom. Luther has seen expanded indoors before, like the greenhouse back at home. However, this was different from anything he had seen before.

Thinking about the Professor's question Luther looked around to find something out of ordinary. Then he raised his hand to be recognized and then spoke "The air is too... I don't know how to describe it but it is almost too calm, Professor." Then added a bit quietly, "I am Luther Starriver, by the way, sir." trying to hide his glowing hands in his pockets.
If the glowing hands weren't one sign for a new entry in the classroom, the brief view of outside the classroom appeared in the corner of Professor Madigan's eyes as a student slipped in. "Glad to see you join us at last Master Starriver, that will, unfortunately, cost you 5 points on the late entry," Though he did respect the young lad's ownership of the action, along with his answer, "The quiet before the storm.. That's an excellent sign."

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocat View Post
Ash was probably at her best today- she was slightly distracted by the flowers but that was much better than being majorly distracted by staring at a wall and thinking about how terrible everything was. She raised her hand as soon as she thought of something to say. "Other people or animals leave tracks and signs in a forest. So you might be able to hear one nearby, or see where one of them has been walking. Much of the time it doesn't matter, but sometimes it's a sign to stay away." Or, if you were looking for danger(some people were), a sign to keep going. She fell silent, then spoke up again with a new, mostly-related idea. "I've been leaving a trail of flowers so it's obvious where I've been." She pointed at her flowers, which led from where she entered the woods to her tree stump.
"Ah yes, animal trackings do heed as a good warning of what's ahead," Professor Madigan nodded in approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson View Post
She had simply smiled in form of greeting and nodded her head to the Professor when she had arrived. Lisa was still working on the bubbles and controlling them as best as she could. This meant limiting how much she spoke. At this rate, maybe she ought to learn sign language? It was something she had spent time reading in the library instead of…. revising for OWLS. She rubbed her hands together before bringing them to her mouth to blow hot air on them. She was quietly surprised to see no bubbles escape this time.

Huh. Maybe she was safe?

She raised her hand to answer the first part of the Professor’s questions. “I can’t hear anything.. Usually there’s some noises in a forest… but it’s quiet?

Lisa was really stretching to find an answer on this one. Instead, she was more preoccupied by the bubbles escaping.
"The quiet before a storm is a good sign to notice," Professor Madigan nodded. He would've added bubbles escaping as well but well, did the class need any more worries?

"Excellent everyone," Professor Madigan said, even those quietly observing were appreciated. Now it was time to move on. "As a number of you have noticed, the spots in the distance of the tree will be a focus for a number of you today." How so? "We will be using an Arrow shooting spell on some targets today." As for why, "As I'm sure you could picture or have experienced, casting a spell on the enemy will do well but things escalate and can be life-threatening. This arrow spell in particular is one of the many variations. Arundo. It will send an icy-blue arrow and depending on where it hits the target they will be paralyzed. Say you use Arundo aiming at another one's arm, well that arm is unable to move unless the arrow is removed. It won't leave a wound or risk or serious ailments. Think of it as using the body-binding spell Petrificus Totalus but on a smaller part of the body." That should explain the gist of it.

"Now repeat after me, Arundo... Ah-roon-doe," Pausing to hear the class repeat it, "The wand movement is a curved checkmark starting from the longer end. To avoid any accidental shots on others, let's aim at the ground in front of you. If done correctly you'll see an icy-blue arrow that will remain in the ground. It's okay if you don't get it the first time as I imagine a number of... predicaments could make this more of a challenge, the arrow may break off immediately in that case," If things didn't turn out as expected well, that bridge will have to be crossed eventually.

Professor Madigan then made the curved check mark symbol, "Arundo," At the ground almost immediately if one didn't blink could see an icy-blue arrow shoot out onto the ground sticking up from the grass. To those curious, "And yes, it is possible to send a stream of them at once, but that requires more time of practice," More than what can be covered in a single lesson, unfortunately. "Now, it's your turn to give it a try."

--
OOC: So now you can practice the Arrow-shooting spell, saying it and then performing it on the ground. You're free to partner with another if you want, but can easily do it alone if your character wishes. Class will continue in at least 48 hours, but feel free to ask Professor Madigan any questions in between.