View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 03:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
Bazinga
Dark Force Defense League

MO & DMGS
Forest Troll

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kirsten Delbin
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mateo Theodore
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alana Potter
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Bart Culloden
Games & Sports

x11 x9
Default So sorry for the delay, soccer season took my weekend.
Puff by day, snake by night | Mj's bestie | Always UP to Something...

As students went to get their items Euka moved around the room watching and listening to their answers and conversations about classes past. As a few were speaking of using the candles she tried to think about lessons she had done. She knew it hadn't been her, but she knew exactly who they would have had a candle lesson with. Her smile altered, but only for a moment.

SPOILER!!: answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlice View Post
Violet paused halfway up to gather supplies. Had they used candles before? She couldn't remember, but in six-going on-seven years at Hogwarts, surely they had...somewhere. "Uh, yes, didn't we use it before in...that Divination class the other year?" Violet was guessing, but hoped Professor Euka might fill in the blanks for her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post
There was THAT word again.

Romantic.

Gag.

Being an aromantic, Aria really had no interest in these romantic stuff most teenagers seem to have. She simply nodded to Euka and proceeded to listen to the other responses, sniggering at Vera’s nunchucks idea. That was simply GOLDEN.

Ceromancy, huh? The Slytherin put the word down neatly in her book. Candle, bowl, wand. Since she was already in possession of a wand that left a bowl and candle. She got to her feet, heading to collect the two items, right hand in the air. “I’m with Violet. I think it was two years ago though. Can’t remember exactly.” Her shoulders lifted in a shrug then Aria was gathering the bowl and candle before trudging back to her seat.
"We have actually not done any lessons with candles since I have come. I've had them around the room for lights, but I think you are thinking of a term a bit further back that just a year or two ago. I would assume Professor Kitridge was who had one. She did always love some of the darker forms of Divination. " An amused smile crossed her lips, "She was the most cheerful, but I think she took a liking to learning all forms to annoy our mother."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelliephone View Post
The Professor did not seem overly enthused with her answer, which made Vera feel very much like she was not going to get to make the candles into nunchucks. Too bad, it would have been quite the sight. BUT at least they did get to play with fire and candles! Did this seem an overly smart idea? Probably not, since almost teenager or not Vera was already doubting her and Dot's ability to control themselves BUT... there would at least be an effort.

Standing up to get a bowl and a candle as instructed, Vera weaved her way in and out of the other students to grab the necessary items so she could take them back to their table. She remained silent on the discussion, because in truth she'd still had very limited experience with classes here. And if there had been candles present, she'd been unaware of them. With bowl and candle obtained, she made her way back to the table and perched - feet swinging against the legs of her chair while she waited for the class to move on.
She watched and smiled as some just went to get the materials and didn't say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMadamMalfoy View Post
SPOILER!!: catch-up
Wow, the divination classroom was a loooooong way from the Hufflepuff common room! Desiree found it somewhat funny, considering that Professor Euka was their Head of House. Something she didn’t find funny? The ladder. There was no ladylike way to climb it, but climb it she did. Upon her arrival, the first thing she’d noticed was the candles everywhere. Ooh, pretty! She’d greeted the professor with a smile and a cheery wave before taking a seat at the nearest table. Her eyes were immediately drawn to the candle on the table, and she stared intently at the flame until the lesson began.

She nearly giggled at the professor’s warning. She didn’t need to be told twice. She may be dainty and princessy, but she wasn’t dumb enough to touch a burning candle! Actually, she didn’t think anybody here was that dumb! She considered the question. One use for a candle immediately came to mind. They made the atmosphere more romantic… but that didn’t have anything to do with divination so that probably wasn’t it. As she thought, she vaguely remembered reading about a form of divination using smoke. Was that what they were doing? She had no idea, so she kept quiet.

Ohhh… that’s what they were doing. Desiree listened intently, growing increasingly intrigued by the idea of divination with wax. Ceromancy sounded pretty cool. She couldn’t wait to try it! As she got up to gather her materials, she thought back to her lessons last year. She couldn't recall using any candles last year, other than the usual candles to light the rooms. If those two Slytherins (Violet & Aria) were right, that lesson must’ve been waaaaay before she got here! She shook her head, picking up a bowl and candle from the front. “I don’t think I have,” she said quietly, hoping nobody besides the professor would hear her. “but I’m willing to learn.”
"I am very glad you are willing to learn." Learning they would be doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charely Potter View Post

Caes eventually got up after most of the crowd disapparated from the table to get his set of bowl and candle. He didn't have the same experience as some of the other students mentioned with the candles. So instead, he plopped back into his seat to listen to the others... accidentally getting a little wax on his hand from the slight shake.

But the Professor was right, it was warm but not scalding. He picked it off his skin before smoothing it out. No harm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
Surely Apollo was not the only one that when warned by the professor against something, only made him want it more? Speaking of wants, did Lisa HAVE to go and bring up Healer Poppy's use of candles because the fifth year was pretty sure he had done a good job blocking out that part of his brain.

As far as uses went for candles, Apollo had nothing new to contribute so he set his sights on thinking the best way he could purposely get wax on his skin. He shook his head on the next question, rising from his table to obtain his supplies.
As more made their way quietly to the front she moved out of their way so they could gather what they needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasley174 View Post
Summer was excited, as she went up and grabbed her things, then she heard what the Professor asked and she wasn't sure, she was sure she hadn't used candles here and she tried to rattle her young brain. "No I don't think I've used candles in lessons before!"
"Well you will be doing that today." She gave a smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanaBatGirl View Post
Okay so this was going to be a chill lesson, like, maybe once they had all the candles lit, Edric could go back to sleep. Aight. He was up NOW, though, slowly trailing along behind Caes and going to get his candle and bowl and whatever...

Had they used candles in lessons before? "I dunno," the fourth year answered loudly, as Cambridges are wont to do. "I haven't really been doing the best job of paying attention in lessons." And honestly. Cambridges could be bluntly honest.
"Well why don't we change that starting today, especially when there is candles involved."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic Witch View Post
SPOILER!!: Catch up Question 1

It had been a long walk from the badger common room to the Divination Tower. Maria had though slipped into the classroom before the lesson started greeting Professor Euka with a smile before finding a seat at Dot and Veras table. First years had to stick together! Maria wondered why the room only was lit by burning candles, it made her sleepy. Thankfully Professor E got the lesson started before she got drowsy. Raising her hand Maria said "Candles I believe are typically used to give light to create a cozy and warm atmosphere in a room." She didn't want to say romantic, but it was a given right? "I think I've heard a story from my grandma when she was little and tried to scry the smoke and wax from a candle to interpret how a date with a boy would end, but it didn't go so well. Grandma just burned her fingers and coughed a lot. She called it Carro something." Luckily though Maria thought grandma still got grandad interested in her.

Getting up from her seat Maria quickly got in line to gather her materials. She got the candle and bowl before returning to her seat. It was good that she always had her wand with her since they'd need it for the reading. At Professor Euka's statement that wax can soften skin Maria's hand shot up curiously. "Can candle wax even soothen very dry and chapped hands?" If that was the case maybe she could give some to her grandma as a present since she often complained about her dry and hurting hands. "Um, this is my first year at Hogwarts so no i haven't used candles in lessons, but I want to learn how.
"Yes, it can possibly, as you can see Atlas is doing it this very moment."

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Karleigh was never one to be smug, but having the correct answer that was even being used as a class example made her feel kind of proud. And no, she would not need to be reminded to be careful with a lit candle or hot wax. She was perfectly capable of being responsible.

Ceromancy. Having recently taken her Divination OWL, Karleigh was familiar with that form of Divination, though she'd never used it herself for a reading. It would be interesting to try it today. She couldn't think of any specific lessons where she used candles as a primary part of the lesson, so she remained silent as she went up to retrieve her own candle and a bowl for her reading. Enough people already said they hadn't either and she didn't feel the need to add the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson View Post
She nodded in response to Professor Eula’s comment on the healer Poppy situation. Candles weren’t supposed to be used that way. She agreed. Lisa tried her best to remain with the class for the next section but when the Professor asked when they had used candles, all she could think about was when she helped out with changing the candles around the school.

Involuntarily, she shivered and folded her arms across her chest. She was with the majority of the younger students having never used candles for magical purposes. Like Karleigh, she too, didn’t feel the need to add that she didn’t know how to use them either in magicsl classes.
Seeing that the bowls on the table were getting less, she moved to add more to the pile as more went to get their supplies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeans View Post
Milo wasn't sure how he felt about Divination. He thought it was a little dodgy at best. Could one really use magic to foretell the future? It didn't seem as concrete and real to him as something like Charms or Transfiguration. Still, he was determined to keep an open mind as he went to the front of the classroom to gather his candle and supplies.

In response to the professor's question, he shook his head. "No, Professor, not yet anyway," he replied politely. "I'm still very new," he said, even though this was very obvious being that he was an 11-year-old boy.
"There is nothing wrong with being new and young. You will get a chance to use them today." Giving the first year a smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
Milo - the Evans variety, not the attempted usurper who was unsurprisingly affiliated with Hufflepuff house, most insidious of deceivers - had wisely kept quiet so far. He knew how his answers were generally received, and while that part did not bother him, he had learnt that maintaining his silence usually served him best. Instead he allowed his mind free reign, during which it had abandoned the depths of the lake and instead taken up temporary residence in a memory that didn't belong to him, and possible was not a memory at all. Puzzling enough to keep him preoccupied and well-behaved.

But he was listening. Sort of. And taking note. Selectively.

The silence, ultimately, did not last. Even though the next question was in the same realm as the first, Milo couldn't help but speak up. He left his train of thought behind to save his seat while he collected the materials, and spoke while returning to it with candle and bowl. "Just séances. Rituals. Summ-" Milo blinked hard, coughed, continued. "... some other things."

He blinked again, and twitched his head in a half-turn to the left. None of those things had been strictly - or remotely - related to lessons or schoolwork, but little details like that had never troubled Milo before. His concerns tended to take a different form.

"How do we know these aren't the Poppy candles? And that this isn't a trap?"

Euka was, after all, also affiliated with Hufflepuff house, most insidious of deceivers. Milo was working on not openly accusing others, in the interests of personal safety, but if Euka decided to dispense with the ruse with her cover now blown and resort instead to shooting off curses, he sat closest to the trapdoor and was in the best position to make a quick escape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpinkpixie View Post
Chest puffed out that he had gotten away with his little experimentation Scot-Free, his fragile ego inflated a little more seeing as he had even been subconsciously ahead of the curve with his natural fascination with wax. This was why he liked Divination, it always felt easy to do well and just sort of roll with whatever he felt like in doing so.

And he could confirm that the wax was not too hot to the touch, seeing as he had a tried pool of it in his hand right now that he was looking forward to peeling off later.

Not sure how to answer her question without sounding snotty, candles were the primary light source here at Hogwarts soooooooooooo technically they were utilized in practically every lesson, he simply curled his fingers in to make a fist around the wax and went to gather the necessary materials and selected a candle at random before returning to his seat and slumping back into his seat. While he waited for class to continue, he traced over the dried bit of wax in his palm with the index finger of his other hand and tapped his feet on the floor.

Tap...tap tap...taptaptaptaptap...tap...taptaptap...tap tap...
Milo got a look for a moment as he switched wording and then placed her with that woman. "All those candles were taken care of I can assure you. I was part of the help to get rid of those things, so I would certainly not be a part of using them. These candles are all brand new and the boxes I just opened before class are still in the corner where I placed them." She pointed to the corner.

Seeing Atlas putting wax on his hand she was glad she used him as an example that it really wasn't going to hurt and people did use it to help skin or because he was board, she wasn't sure exactly which it was.

"Alright everyone, you should have a bowl and a candle in front of you. We will be working with those in a moment, but first lets talk about the form we will be using today. Carromancy is the form of divination that uses wax. You will be letting the wax go into cold water. "

She wasn't going to show them just yet, but she was curious as to what they thought could be done with the wax. "What do you think happens to the wax that would make it different for everyone to have a true reading? What type of reading do you feel it gives?"

"While you are answering these questions please take our your wand and fill your bowl with water. First years please ask an older student for help with this." She knew they would most likely not be sure of that spell just yet.