Thread: Ministry: 2105 Quidditch Awards Banquet
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 06:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Waddles

DMGS & DMLE
Re'em

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sophia Svensson #556B2F
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kenneth Mills #666F26
Hufflepuff
Third Year
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Gabriel Hawthorne-Melo #47316F
Law Enforcement
Constant Vigilance! O_O AWAKE!

“Why, Rosemary, thank you, and may I say, you look lovely,” she greeted the woman. Everyone in her department really did clean up nicely. Almost like they attended fancy events on the regular. Peggy found her seat among others from her department just in time for the food to appear. Everyone’s meal comes with their chosen protein (oh-so-important for many professional athletes), sauteed vegetables, and potatoes. She managed to get a few bites in before her watch chimed, indicating she was awful at this hostess time management thing and had to start the awards presentation already.

Right.

Speaking in front of a hundred-plus people. She could do this. Probably. Maybe. She took a deep breath and a sip of her drink, then stood up and smoothed her dress. Wait, where was her speech? She dug in the pocket of her dress, producing a slightly wrinkled folded paper. Speech.

The Magical Games & Sports Department Head took another steadying breath before walking up to the little podium off to the side, glass in one hand and written speech in the other. Did everyone have their food? From her poor vantage point, it certainly looked like it. She realized she was grimacing--darn nerves--and quickly pulled a small smile onto her face. This was...well, happening. She wasn’t bound to say it was going well, she’d let Lucas or one of the guests provide reassurance on that later, but it was certainly happening.

She stood at the podium and flattened her paper, skimming its contents once before smiling more widely and raising her glass toward the crowd of Quidditch players and staff. “Good evening, everyone, and let me start by thanking you all for coming tonight. It’s good to have you all here, since we were unable to celebrate together last season. I hope you’re all enjoying your suppers.” She lowered her glass and took another look at her notes. Deep breath. “To everyone I haven’t been able to meet personally, my name is Peggy Laplace. I’m the head of the department of magical games and sports. It’s been with the help of all our department employees, specially the Quidditch Division, that this 2104, 2105 Quidditch season was able to go so smoothly.”

Alright. She’d acknowledged her employees. Good, good. Now for the awards. The fun part. Right? Right. Another deep breath, and she flicked her wand to reveal a table holding several trophies, one large and several smaller ones. “As we all know, you’ve worked and played hard this year. That effort, by all the teams, doesn’t go unnoticed, but one team in particular shone brightly, winning the most matches in regular season play as well as the playoffs.” She smiled and took a sip of her drink before making the announcement--not for suspense, as nobody should be surprised about this award, she was just thirsty. “Congratulations to the Kenmare Kestrels, our league winners, for a season well played!” And that one large trophy flew itself over to the table where the Kestrels owner was seated, accompanied by a dozen smaller trophies for each of the players, the head coach, and the manager. Magic was truly amazing, nobody’s dinners even had to be interrupted to receive the trophy. “And for our second award, congratulations to the Montrose Magpies! They allowed the least number of goals scored during regular season play.” Which, clearly didn’t correlate to number of wins, seeing as the Magpies had finished a perfectly respectable but not exciting sixth place in the league. Still, several more smaller trophies went out to the various Magpies players. "For fewest fouls, we have the Falmouth Falcons! Well done on your clean gameplay this year," she said, as the trophies distributed to each of the Falcons players.

A few more awards were distributed for various feats including most snitch grabs and most goals scored, then Peggy raised her glass again. “Finally, I want to thank everyone for their perseverance. Quidditch is a pastime that brings joy to many in our community, and this season wouldn’t have been the same without each and every one of you here tonight. I hope everyone has a restful and relaxing off season.” She knew that was unlikely, from her own experience with Quidditch, but the sentiment was true. Everyone deserved a holiday. “Enjoy the rest of your evening,” she concluded. And with that, she stepped down from the podium and returned to her seat. She needed to finish her own dinner.