Thread: The Courtyard
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2021, 10:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
astrocat
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoebe Calypso [s]Dupont[/s]
Slytherin
Second Year
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?

SPOILER!!: the best of friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddles View Post
Pranks, plaques, Ash's interests really had changed since they stopped being friends. She eyed the pillar suspiciously, but it looked plenty stable to her. But if Nemesis thought it was unstable, probably best to steer clear of it anyway. They were fairly smart, she thought.

She gave Lisa's book a second glance. She'd thought it looked vaguely familiar. From one of the three times she'd gone in the library. She looked right at Ash when the other girl asked her a question, though, had to be polite. Setting a good example for Lisa, and all. "No...I don't remember that, sorry, Ash," she said quickly before returning her attention to the first year. "You planning to brew a sleeping potion, Lisa? Is that for homework?"

She eyed Nemesis again, a little uncomfortable about him just...taking the plaque. "Isn't that stealing?" she asked quietly. She knew the answer. It was stealing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson View Post
This first year was also curious if Nem could just pocket the plaque and bolt. What was so important about that plaque anyway?!? Lisa turned her attention to Ash, figuring that Nem had a reason for taking the plaque and perhaps wouldn’t understand it. Someone slipped a potion into Ash’s food? “Are you okay?” she asked, concerned about that whole ordeal. It seemed like it still weighed quite heavily on Ash and then Ash became quiet, leading Lisa confused. Mamie’s reaction didn’t give her much either. Wait. Did …. Did Mamie slip the potion into Ash’s food? WOAH. Her mind just was blown a little. She’d never expected Mamie to do that!

… but then again maybe her mind was overreacting.

Lisa have Ash a smile before turning her gaze to Margaret/Mamie and nodded. “I am! It’s not actual homework. It’s self assigned and it’ll help me later on,,” she beamed. She shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. “The more I brew the potion, the more of an expert I will be, yes?” Lisa was smart, yes. Buuuuut she worked her butt off.

Stealing? Maaaybe borrowing?” she asked, trying to help Nem out. Not that they needed it. Nem seemed fully capable of handling themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
"It's stealing. I'm not borrowing it," Nem confirmed, unabashed and resolute. They had no permission to take it, it wasn't theirs, and they didn't plan to return it. They had no reason to lie about that to these kids, no reason to want to. They also spoke and acted with great confidence, and really, that was all they ever needed to do. "But that doesn't mean it's wrong."

Or right. Or anything at all. It just was, and it was better for them all to understand that concept sooner rather than later. If the first year learned it early, then all the better.

Enough about the plaque. Nem looked between Nam, Fox, and Turov once again. Spiking each other with potions? Self-assigning work on sleeping draughts? Nem didn't want to know why, didn't care to know - nothing personal or anything - but all the same.

"Things seem a little tense between you two," they said, speaking directly to Fox and Turov. "Anything that can be resolved?" See. Excellent influence, especially given the youngster in their midst. A veritable guiding light. Just call them Polaris.

"Oh it's definitely stealing. But I don't really care. We're all watching Upstead steal that plaque. And? It's the Hogwarts courtyard, not the Rosier's dumb face courtyard. I'd be happy to see his name gone." Ash shrugged. "There are worse things than stealing anyway." Like putting people in a mirror. Or torturing people. Or putting sleeping potions in other people's food.

Her gaze moved from Upstead to Mamie. "Sure you don't remember."Her voice was slightly cold. Didn't remember? It was just like her to forget... but Ash thought Mamie was lying to her. Maybe it was Mamie who tricked her. Probably not, right? Mamie didn't know how to make those. She was probably just ignoring Ash's feelings again. Still... something stirred at the edges of her mind. Cookies... special ingredient... hot chocolate... What did that mean? She couldn't put the pieces together right. It was annoying. She let it go for now and looked over at Lisa. "I'm fine." It was a bit of a stretch, but Ash was never fine. Sleeping potions didn't cause much of that. "But I'm not gonna let it go." Because, uhhh... she kept grudges forever. She was never gonna like Cambridge, or Upstead, or Mamie.

Speaking of Upstead, why were they acting so nice all of a sudden? Ash eyed them suspiciously. She wasn't Kinsay James. She wasn't Mamie Turov. Had she ever had a positive interaction with Nem Upstead? Not really. She didn't answer their question aloud, but she shook her head almost imperceptibly, possibly subconsciously. She crossed her arms too. Body language didn't lie. She didn't want to be Mamie's friend. She'd burned that bridge in self-defense. Their relationship didn't need fixing. They just needed to stay away from each other until the day they both died.