View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Felixir

Book Club Mod

Alley Proprietor

MO & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Charlie Upstead
Gryffindor
Third Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aurelio Kaiser
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Daxton Prince
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Nikolai Kaiser
Minister's Office

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ezekiel Ransom-Kruus
Ollivanders
x12 x12
Default apologies for the delay, it's been a wild time
Lovely™ | Captain Hurted | Ariana's Bane | Resident Antagonist | Unparalleled Delight

SPOILER!!: Ash
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocat View Post
Oh. "Like one of those journals muggles have where they write what they think and then they burn it?" A slight smile appeared on Ash's face, when really it had no reason to be there. Fire... noooo. Stop. Maybe she would be better off with... hmmm. "I like the idea. I like fire. Actually, that probably means I shouldn't..." she trailed off. How exactly was she supposed to say This is a terrible idea considering my track record... But still... fire. "Nevermind." She was going to make a journal, and then she was going to watch it burn and pretend like she hadn't dreamed of burning anything else until only Ashes remained. Good plan. Thanks professor, for the idea.

Art though... how did he know that if he hadn't seen? Sure ,she was obviously an artist if anyone had ever seen her paint, but Kazmi never said that he saw. Ash looked up in surprise, her hand slipping to her extension charmed pocket to make sure all her notebooks were still there. They were, of course, and Ash didn't see how anyone could know that she carried them around everywhere she went, so it made sense... but still. Hmmm. I hear. Not I know or I've seen. An interesting statement. Hear. From who? And why? And where and when and what? How? She opened her mouth to ask a question. Maybe the question was how do you know that, or even can I paint you. Nobody would ever know, because Ash let the moment slip away. She didn't ask the questions.

She moved on for the moment.

Personally, Ash thought that running away was a wimp move, and also dumb. It would be Letting The Bad Guys Win. But maybe she was the wrong one. Maybe sometimes there was nothing left to do but run away... maybe. But Ash was never going to admit it when she had hit that moment, not even to herself. Because retreating was for people who were defeated. Demoralized, disappointed and dejected were not the same as defeated. That's why they were separate words, see? Logic.

"I guess." Ash mostly agreed. But she thought it was funny that people expected her to never give up, but it was perfectly okay for them to give up and leave her to cover their retreat. We love you Ash, and we want you to stay, said the very same people who left her the second a problem started. We understand you, said the people who thought she was too angry. We believe in you, said the people who had given up on her a long time ago. There were exceptions, of course. Ten or twenty people who truly believed in her, even when she messed up constantly. Kazmi wasn't on it yet, because they didn't know each other. But still, it was probably a good thing that it was professor Kazmi who was telling her this, and not Healer Poppy. Or some other person she resented. He hadn't had the opportunity to betray her yet. Yet.

Anyway, professor Kazmi's cat was a much better thing to think about that loyalty an sacrifice and betrayal. Ash was sure that Amir wouldn't be mean to her. "I think he likes me too. What are the chances." It wasn't a question. It was an observation. Amir hadn't immediately ran away from her. Clearly, he was either stupid or one of the kindest living things she had ever met. Maybe both. Maybe kindness was stupid sometimes. But Ash was inclined to believe that Amir was just really nice, because he was a cat and she would never think of a cat as dumb. Cats weren't dumb. Cats were her favorite animal, and they were soft. Cats were super great. And they didn't feel obligated to go along with what other people wanted. Cats. Ash sometimes thought that she was like a cat. But people liked cats, and they didn't like her.

She liked fire. If Kamran had a galleon for every student who'd ever said something along those lines to him, he could have paid someone else to maintain the fireproofing charms on the broomshed. Daily. "I said nothing about fire, but if you want to write and then throw the pages into the fireplace when it's already lit, feel free. Nothing more. Shredding the pages or painting over them is just as effective." Kamran wouldn't linger on the point, and would instead give Fox the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she was smarter than to tell a professor she liked fire and then go off and start burning things all over the place. News of something like that was best not reaching his ears, not now he'd explicitly said.

He patiently waited while Fox went on that face journey of hers, sensing her curiosity but not offering an unprompted explanation. No? Very well, Kamran let the moment pass too, and instead stuck on the topic of Amir. No doubt that cat would have been perfectly smug about finding himself, once again, in the centre of attention. Again, show off.

In the interests of sharing, Kamran thought it prudent to allow Fox in on a small, practically inconsequential detail. "Amir belonged to my nephew to start with, when he was a little older than you." His nephew, that was. Amir was still relatively young, at the grand old age of four. "Then he ended up with me, so we didn't exactly choose each other. It's fortunate he likes you. He can be a real pain when he wants to be." The cat, not his nephew. Well... not that nephew.

As if in confirmation, Amir gave a musical little ~mreow~.

SPOILER!!: Mamie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddles View Post
Tuesday afternoon. She nodded. That would be easy to remember. As for her Quidditch position of choice...that was a difficult question. "I don't know yet," she said, shrugging. "I think...maybe Keeper or Chaser, but...I haven't really played much before, so I don't know which I'd, uh, like better, or...be better at?" She knew the liking a position part was important, but... she was willing to play her second favorite position if it meant she could be really good.

"My brother plays keeper on his football team," she volunteered. Or was he defense? She couldn't remember. "So maybe I'll be good at that...but in Quidditch." So...maybe she did know what she wanted. If she wanted to be like her brother, that meant she'd be leaning towards keeper. But only if she could be really good at being keeper.

"In the meantime, you can work at both. Versatility on the pitch is very valuable, and Keeper and Chaser sometimes go hand in hand, in that sense." Not speaking from experience, exactly, as Kamran had never been much into Quidditch personally. He knew plenty who were, however, from the old days, and being a flying instructor meant teaching plenty of students with quidditch aspirations. Made sense to stay on top of these things.

Looking thoughtful, Kamran considered Turov's words for a moment. Maybe because his kids - his niece and nephews, but to all intents and purposes his kids - were so strikingly different from each other, leagues apart in talents and personality, he didn't really buy into the idea that simply because one sibling could do something well, so too could another. More likely, sure, but not a set in stone thing. "Quite possibly. It's very different on a broom, and with three hoops instead of one goal, but of course the same concept."

Had to be said that Keeper was one of those positions a player could train for easily without assistance, as long as they had magic to help them. Chaser was better practiced in a team. Technically all of the positions were best practiced as a team, but that was once a position was secured. Turov wasn't there yet. "If you'd like, one day soon we can brainstorm other skills for you to work on, be it for Chaser or Keeper. Or both."

You are Chocolate!