View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Felixir

Book Club Mod

Alley Proprietor

MO & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Charlie Upstead
Gryffindor
Third Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aurelio Kaiser
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Daxton Prince
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Nikolai Kaiser
Minister's Office

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ezekiel Ransom-Kruus
Ollivanders
x12 x12
Lovely™ | Captain Hurted | Ariana's Bane | Resident Antagonist | Unparalleled Delight

Offering an ear. So it was information he was after.

Nem had plenty they could have said to that, but opted to veer away from the one question in the interests of self-preservation. They obliged him with another response, one they thought far more obvious, and no less true. "You don't like me." Not to state the obvious or anything. "So you wouldn't help me without there being some kind of benefit. Even if it just makes you feel better to do something, there's still that. That's still a use." Which, again, they didn't care about. But they could see it, was the point. They could see there had to be something.

There was no humour in Nem's tone anymore, but no malice either. They kept their voice and their body language as casually unreadable as their expression, matching the Headsman calm for calm. The rest of the office may as well have faded into non-existence for all the attention Nem gave it. "You're telling me you didn't once consider all you could learn using boggarts and patronuses." Not a question. Maybe he really hadn't planned it with that in mind, but Nem wasn't sure if that would be a relief or a disappointment. "If patronuses are likely to be on the NEWT, then the game is rigged. Finding and holding onto a happy memory can't be learned or taught." Nem said all this rather matter-of-factly, though they were inching close to personal territory again, almost enjoying the risk. Not enough to stop them quickly backing away again, however. "And you never said we couldn't find an alternative route through the test. I was using my initiative." Actually, Trent might have said that; they weren't listening at the time, but doubted he'd thought to specify, even if it was implied.

Nem stared dispassionately at the Headsman, waiting for his next question. But when it came, their demeanour changed, though they didn't move at all. They sat very still, eyes narrowed at the Headsman same as they had earlier that day, but this time it held, and their eyes bore into his.

"What are you talking about?" What did he know? What preparation, exactly? Suddenly certain that this had something to do with how off things had seemed, Nem quickly ran through their memory of the entire day, scanning over everything they'd said or done. Further charades, Trent had said. "What is it we both know?"

You are Chocolate!