View Single Post
Old 03-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #60 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Default (mini activity mentions are under the spoiler) Main Activity
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

SPOILER!!: Rearranged for flow, but everybody's in here somewhere ^_^
Norman blinked, slightly taken aback by Miss Blaze’s smile, though he didn’t allow the shock to show on his face. Had he done that? Him, the battle-hardened ex-Auror who had no idea how to relate to children or to emotions in general! Making children happy, especially given the current circumstances, was a somewhat new phenomenon for him, He never knew that something as simple as not making the students vanish their birds could have such an impact! He returned her smile with a slight one of his own and watched her attempts at the spell. “Keep at it, Miss Blaze,” he encouraged.

In the time that remained for the activity, he continued his rounds, offering similar words of encouragement to the other struggling students. He watched Mr. O’Neill succeed at conjuring feathers but no bird and said, “Almost there, Mr. O’Neill! Try again.” Elsewhere, he saw Miss Donovan’s multiple failed attempts. That was to be expected. She was only a first year, and this was a very advanced branch of magic! “Don’t give up, Miss Donovan,” he said with an encouraging nod.

Another nod of encouragement went to Miss Luna, though he couldn’t tell if she was struggling or just lost in concentration. He’d leave her to her own devices, but he’d come back to offer help after they moved on. For now, he offered a piece of advice to the class as a whole, “If you’re having trouble, try visualizing a different kind of bird.”

Then there were some students who had succeeded in conjuring a bird but struggled getting it into the cage, and Norman was mentally kicking himself for not suggesting earlier that they aim their spell into the cage. Never mind, too late now… He watched with mild amusement as Miss Jenovick’s bird refused to be caged. “Don’t worry about the cage, Miss Jenovick,” he said, smiling slightly. The cages were more for organizational purposes than anything else. “The important thing is that you did the spell correctly.”

Elsewhere, he saw Miss Blackthorne try and ultimately succeed in conjuring and caging a flock of magpies. “Great job, Miss Blackthorne!” he congratulated. And Miss Turov also had a bird in her cage. Despite its awkward body proportions, it was still very recognizable as an owl. It sort of reminded him of his own owl… whatever happened to it. “You too, Miss Turov!” As he made his way back to the front, he noticed the bird circling above Mr. McCarthy. “Nicely done, Mr. McCarthy!”

A quick check of his watch told Norman that it was time to move on, so he stood beside the blackboard and addressed the class once more. “Eyes here please!” he said, slightly louder than normal so he’d be heard over the bang of any spells going off. After waiting a moment for the students to focus, he continued, ”Great work so far! If you’re still having trouble with Avis, you can come back to that later. For now, we have another spell to learn.”

“Conjuration is useful as a distraction in its own right, but if you want your conjured creatures to attack something, you need a separate spell to do it. That spell is Oppugno.” With a flick of his wand, the information appeared on the board behind him. “To cast, simply point your wand at your intended target.” To demonstrate, Norman nonverbally conjured another flock of blue and red birds and aimed his wand at a nearby tree branch and cast, “Oppugno.” The birds swarmed the tree branch, pecking at it until it fell at the professor’s feet with a soft thud.

One wave of Norman’s wand vanished the birds, and another revealed eight pinata, two of each Hogwarts house mascots, hanging from the trees at the edge of the Forbidden Forest. “You’ll be practicing on these pinatas. Students living in the dorms, your pinatas are on the right. Everyone else, yours are on the left.” Unbeknownst to the students, there was little difference in the pinatas’ contents. All of them contained candy; it was just better hidden in one set than the other.

“Conjure your bird or birds using Avis; then use Oppugno to make them attack the pinata shaped like your house mascot,” he instructed. “If you’re still having trouble with Avis, you can work with a partner, but you must attempt both spells. Don’t go into the Forest, and don’t aim at anything that's NOT a pinata! Either of those things is an automatic detention.” That should go without saying, but one could never know with some of these kids. “Anything that comes out of your house pinata is yours to keep. You have until the end of class, starting… NOW!”

OOC: Sorry for the delay! Daylight savings time put me a bit behind schedule, but we’ve reached the main activity. For this, your character needs to !) conjure bird(s) with Avis 2) make the bird(s) attack a pinata. The rules/logistics are as follows:

Only aim at your house’s pinata (There are 2 of each mascot: lion, badger, eagle, and snake. The pinatas for students living in The Room are on the left; pinatas for those in the dorms are on the right.)

Please title each post to indicate which pinata you’re aiming for (Example: If I were posting Heath, my post title would say “Left Ravenclaw pinata”. This helps me keep track of things.)

You MAY NOT rp the outcome of your Oppugno spell on the pinatas. (I will be posting the spell results periodically throughout the activity. Rping the outcome of your Avis spell is fine.)

Partner/group work is allowed, but each person must attempt both spells for full credit. (As always, spell attempts do not have to succeed to count.)

Once the pinatas break, you may have your character take candy from their house pinata, but taking candy is not an obligation.

You have until 11:30 PM EDT (GMT -4) on March 17 to complete the activity. If anything is unclear, feel free to PM me.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...