Thread: Street Vendors
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #136 (permalink)
NiallNIP

DERP
Ravenclaw
Imp

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Quinn Kingsley
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kittredge Flannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpinkpixie View Post

Atlas nodded once more and decided to shove his hands into his pockets, dropping the coin there as well. He may end up saving this additional coinage for when he went pet shopping. He had high aspirations there, something unusual to help him stand apart from his brother again. But before he allowed himself to get pulled into the fantastical thoughts that would manifest into his familiar later on, he shifted his blue eyes back on the boy his age and nodded. "Kind of like when you reach for a glass thinking it is water but it turns out to be something...not water." He wasn't even sure WHAT had been in dad's goblet that night but it most certainly had NOT been water.

Anyway, as long as this bloke didn't go for pickle flavoring he should be okay.

"How come?" The blonde titled his head to the side and observed, as though the answer and reason were written in the boy's shadow. Which, according to how it was stretched and cast upon the ground gave him a good idea of what time it was and how much time he had left before he needed to head back and find his family. Namely his brother and sister. Andromeda wanted to show them something really unique here in the Alley and he had no idea what that was but if she thought it was special...then it was.

"By proxy...yeah..." Finds himself looking down at his feet and his hand curling up into a ball inside his pocket. But does his best to let the moment past, to not let his 11-year-old resentment manifest itself too prominently. He had to be the rock, the pillar, the Atlas, for his brother. "...but...more like after 27 Tauri. A multiple star system located in the constellation Taurus. One of the brightest members of the Pleiades." He paused a moment and realized just how...odd this probably sounded. No one he knew, save for his dad, talked like this. Atlas feigned a bit of embarrassment for this knowledge. "...my dad is the Astronomer Royal...used to be the Professor of Astronomy at Hogwarts...and currently is the department head for Mysteries over at the Ministry of Magic. Myself, my brother, and my sister all have named pulled from the field." The mythology angle was more from mom, a former Defense Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts.
Quinn honestly wasn't quite sure what the boy was talking about with his analogy (what could be mistaken for water? Must be a magic thing), but he supposed that it fit. "Yes, like that, I guess."

When prompted to say why he never entered Sugarplum's, Quinn averted his eyes. "U-uh..." He tried to come up with a quick, believable lie. He was never good at lying. "M-my mom doesn't like me eating too much candy. I can get... hyper..." Quinn had never eaten so much candy that he got a sugar high, and it honestly sounded quite embarrassing to say it was a regular occurrence. More embarrassing than thinking the candy would eat him? He wasn't sure.

When talking about his name and, in turn, his father, Quinn noticed that Atlas didn't seem to be all too enthusiastic. Something seemed off there, but Quinn didn't want to pry. They had only just met, after all. "Honestly, I don't know much about stars and stuff, so I didn't understand half of what you just said. I know Taurus because of the Zodiac—and those are obviously constellations as well, though I didn't know there were names for stars in a constellation. But being named after a star system sounds cool! I'm just Quinn because my parents liked the name. Maybe you can tell me about the stars sometime?" Quinn also didn't know what the Astronomer Royal or Department of Mysteries were, but he was kind of embarrassed about his lack of knowledge on the wizarding world so he didn't really want to ask Atlas about those. And Atlas didn't seem super comfortable talking about his dad, so Quinn figured he would try to steer the conversation away from that. "Well, assuming we see each other again, I suppose. Do you go to Hogwarts?" Quinn sighed and bonked himself on the head. "Ugh. Sorry. Rambling again."

He suddenly had another thought—what if Atlas didn't even like him that much in the first place? He couldn't actually tell; Atlas hadn't said anything particularly mean but he never said anything particularly nice, either. And Quinn couldn't tell much from his body language. The conversation was very...neutral? Quinn could very well have trapped Atlas in a conversation he didn't much feel like having. It was presumptuous to assume that Atlas would even want to see him again. But Quinn didn't want to say anything because what if, maybe, Atlas did enjoy talking to him, and then he said something weird and made the conversation weird? Quinn's head spun and he ended up leaving his remark as-is.

Last edited by NiallNIP; 12-26-2020 at 03:50 AM.