Thread: Ecological: The Greenhouses
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 03:56 AM   #90 (permalink)
Fireheart

DMT & DMLE
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Avalon Sinclair
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Japser Cohen
Magical Creatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic Witch View Post
Hearing a laugh from a woman not standing two feet away which Laurel assumed was directed her way she turned her blue eyes on her. "Is it weird to want cheese straws and apple cider?" Not totally forgetting her manners she introduced herself. "I don’t believe we’ve met. I’m Laurel, I work as an unspeakable for the department of Mysteries."Indicating her husband with a hand wave she said "And that’s my husband Aaron, he works in Games & Sports." Gesturing at the flowers around the greenhouse she asked "Want to tag along to look at the flowers on display that the greenhouse is showcasing tonight?" Laurel wanted to get up close and personal with some of the more interesting flowers. It was why they we’re here right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimothy View Post
From her peripheral vision, Anya had already noticed her colleague approaching and so she took one sip from her drink, for that dramatic effect, and then looked at Laurel with a pleasant smile. "Evening, Laurel," the astronomer greeted. "Quite am. A quick break from time to time is appreciated." Even when she had just mentioned the vortex, but Anya was personally determined not to mention it again.

As for the cheese straws, she shook her head. "I'm afraid I haven't." Anya didn't need any of them, so she hadn't actively looked for it at the beverage table or wherever. "But apple cider, they probably have some here tonight." Then again, that particular beverage wasn't her kind of drink either.

.......That was until a man (Aaron) arrived and told Laurel that she didn't actually like apples. Then and there, a look of mild confusion masked Anya's face. Nevertheless, she greeted the man with an acknowledging nod too.

Anya was thankful for someone to distract her from the rather awkward exchange their between her mysteries coworker and her plus one, she assumed. The astronomer turned to the side, facing the other woman (Grae), though she did not know her but Anya was a fan of women sticking with women. "We like independent women in this household," she grinned. "I believe we haven't, indeed. Anya, from Mysteries. Space chamber." She held her glass up for Grae. A clink for single women out there, perhaps?

She let Grae and Laurel introduce themselves, and then turned towards Laurel's husband. Not her plus one, but apparently a ministry colleague too. That was duly noted. "Great meeting you, Aaron," Anya said.

Anya was not feeling strongly enough about plant-watching but at the same time, she didn't mind. She side-glanced at Grae to see if she wanted to go. "I'll come if you want," she offered. Third-wheeling was not ideal, and she sort of knew Grae would get the unspoken message there.
"Not weird at all," Grae reassured the woman with a smile. "I had a weird craving for a chocolate frog all afternoon yesterday. And I haven't had one of those since my Hogwarts days!" Which were starting to feel like distant memories. It had only been three years since she graduated, but she missed the school every day. She was especially worried about everything going on with the vortex. Grae laughed at Anya's comment about the independent women. "I'll toast to that!" She clinked her champagne glass with Anya's. "Well it's great to meet you both." It was always fun to meet people from Mysteries. A curious department indeed.

And then Laurel was asking them to check out some plants. Grae didn't really feel one way or the other - she'd be happy to do whatever. She was just happy to be surrounded by so many nice coworkers. Some of the plants did look pretty, and even though she didn't know a whole lot about herbology, she would be happy to peruse the greenhouse. She nodded in agreement. "Sure, let's check them out!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjhm View Post
Kiko chuckled as well and then glanced back at the flower again. She's still concerned about the flower blooming. Ryder said that when this flower blooms it will smell like a dead body and that's something she's not looking forward to. She did not cancel her plans of staying at home and doing absolutely nothing for this. "What do you think will happen if it blooms tonight? I'm sure they have a plan B for this." right? Perhaps not.

She smiled when Ryder greeted another familiar co-worker. See, Kiko can only remember faces and names of people she worked with................. and the Minister, obviously. Which is also why she convinced herself to come to this party. It was part of her New Year's resolution to at least do something about her shyness in crowds. This is great practice for her. Speaking of holidays, she nodded at his question "I traveled in France alone for the holidays, it was fun" she got to drink and dine in great restaurants. "How about you?"
Ryder peered up and down at the plant again before giving Kiko a shrug. "Honestly? No idea. But I'm hoping they have at least have some fragrant potions on hand to diffuse the smell." Or perhaps they could put a shield up around the plant. "Or maybe they modified it somehow." Herbologists were able to change the genes of plants to make them have different characteristics, weren't they? So perhaps they changed this flower to make it smell better? Either way, he hoped the DERP employees had some sort of plan in place.

As the conversation turned to holidays, he nodded in admiration of Kiko's Christmas plans. So he wasn't the only one that had spent this holiday alone. Traveling solo sounded wonderful, actually. And it would have made a much better excuse for missing out on his family's gathering than 'I'm stuck at the office with some pressing cases.' Maybe he'd have to put traveling on the list for next year. Although it did make him wonder why his coworker hadn't spent Christmas with a significant other or her family. "Ah, I miss France. Spent two summers there during University." The best part was definitely the food. Much better than his atrocious cooking. Ryder shifted on his feet a bit, unsure of what to tell Kiko about his own Christmas. It sounded kind of pathetic to admit that he had really spent it totally alone, preferring the solitude over the Medina family party. "Mine was nothing special. The usual," he said, running a hand through his hair. "But perhaps I'll try a holiday trip next year. I've always wanted to spend one Christmas in a different country."