View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Bazinga
Dark Force Defense League

MO & DMGS
Forest Troll

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kirsten Delbin
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mateo Theodore
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alana Potter
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Bart Culloden
Games & Sports

x11 x9
Puff by day, snake by night | Mj's bestie | Always UP to Something...

Quote:
Let's also talk about the entire lack of women in the story, except for the passage about the slaying of the pig (which as I read it, felt WEIRDLY sexual? uh? is Golding okay?). I understand that Golding was never a little girl, but this reeks strongly of "girls are not on the same level" to me.
Since this is the second time reading this book I actually got it on Libby and listened to it. The Author is the one that read it and I think the beginning intro was the most favorite part of the entire book. He actually talks about why no girls. This book was written in 1954 and he said that he was tired of reading stories that the children were always so propper, especially the boys and he wanted a book of boys being little brats as boys could be. He also said he didn't use girls because girls will always, in his eyes be more superior, smarter, and just better at surviving then boys every could be. I found his explanation to be interesting and it was obvious he recorded his reading way after the book, which I just looked up and found 2003.

I did finally finish it and a few things,

I still hated it, but not as much as I did as a child. I forgot about the death that was in it. I thought about my oldest while reading it because he isn't much of a reader, but I do feel this book would appeal to him. It is a book that I think is a classic for a school project though because you can use it to talk about survival, could you survive? (My answer would be no) Which group would you go with? Do you think the right things happened, how could it have been different? There is a bullying aspect in there with Piggy, who was the smartest in the group? You could talk about government and how even with a group of kids a sort of government started to form a rebellion in that government and the changes in their society.

Sorry the teacher in my jumped in.