View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
siriusblackliveson

DERP & DMGS
Shrake

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jacoby Rivers
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Callista Rivers
Gryffindor
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nathaniel Flannagan
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Patrick Dooley
Ecological Protection
Stealthy Ninja Queen | Snake For Life | waddling baker | binge royalty ♚

1. What were your favourite quotes from this book, if you had any?
    “I can’t think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can’t talk to, or worse, someone I can’t be silent with.“
    I honestly hate when I can’t sit in comfortable silence with someone. I have some really good friends who I can just be in the same room doing my own thing and j love that.
  2. What did you think of the format, with the novel being composed entirely of letters? What do letters offer that no other form of writing (not even emails) can convey?
    It was rough. I think it allows you to see how a character sensors themselves because they’ll say one thing but try to make it not sound that bad. If that makes sense. While it’s nice to have that kind of perspective it is wayyy to hard for me to visualize what’s going on because it’s mostly characters talking about other characters so it’s not easy for me to visualize the setting, the characters, or anything like that.

3. And which of the members of the Society (or characters in general) was your favourite?
    I really liked Kit. She sounded like a true kid once Juliette got to the island and even in the letters you could see that she was one of the things that kept the islanders strong and pushing forward with their day to day lives.

However I do have to seriously agree with others Juliette was hard for me to get behind and like. I think it was because she just sounded whiny to me at first. Like it was oh bother a book, oh another tour why me. And it was very hard to like her there. Once I got to part two and it became more about the island characters I loved it so much more because it wasn’t a feel sorry for me moment.

I do also agree I wanted so much more of Dawsey.
  4. My only complaint
    The predictability. It was very predictable. I was kind of let down her suitor (mark) didn’t try harder. And the stealing of letters wasn’t that shocking if that makes sense.

As for the second set of questions....
  1. Have you seen the film? If so, how do you think it compares?
    I have not. I’m hoping that maybe I can take a study break (eep) and watch it this weekend.

2. Do you agree with Isola that “reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad ones”?
    Yes. I read every book from a couple authors and they’re such good deep dark books that sometimes after I read them I go read something similar and just can’t get past the beginning. It’s very hard.

3. What was the effect of reading a novel about an author’s experiences with writing, editing, and getting published? Did this enhance the book’s realism, though Juliet’s experience is a bit different from that of debut novelist Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece, children’s book author Annie Barrows?
    I think it’s realistic. So many books about authors is so superficial with the process that you never see the rejection, or the writers block. I follow a lot of indie authors so I hear more of their struggles as they are 100% up front and honest about delays and such. But it was also hard at times because Juliette seemed so... whiny is the only word i can come up with about the issue.

4. AND do you have any questions about the book that you want to ask your fellow Book Seekers?
    If there was one thing you’d change. Just one thing what would it be and why?