View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 02:35 AM   #31 (permalink)
Cassirin

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

I think it's okay that not everyone LOVES the books we read, and I appreciate that people felt comfortable enough to share what they didn't like. It's exciting to me that we're having good conversation in here!

I really enjoy this book, and it was nice to re-read it. In my mind, the book started to re-shape like the movie, and I had forgotten that the 'what happened to Elizabeth' wasn't really the driving force of the book as it was in the movie. Elizabeth is easily one of my favorite characters, and I adore Isola. And Eben and Booker and even old Adelaide. Also I feel like Kit is my soul friend, the little weird baby. I get what's being said about Juliet being a little Mary Sue, but because she was the narrator (sort of), it felt to me that she was purposefully 'neutral' so we could experience the story through her.

One of the things I enjoy about this book is that the author really REALLY loved books and loved Guernsey. I appreciate that you can feel her love, because it makes Guernsey a living character in the story... and really, books are sort of a character too. They're the center of conversation and conviction through the book; it isn't hard to believe that there are books that can shine a light into the dark spots in people's lives and can build communities out of people who feel isolated.

As for the format, I love epistolary structure in stories. I'd love suggestions on other books written like this.

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest
Cassirin is offline   Reply With Quote