View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 08:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
Waterloo

Occamy

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cora Dredworth
Fifth Year
x1
connoisseur of comfort ❅ Crayola's Wibby Mrs Alex Turner ❅ Netflix and meow

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. I've seen a lot of people describe it as charming and that pretty much sums it up. It's sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
A couple issues I had though - it felt to me like Juliet was so idealized, like everyone fell in love with her right after meeting her and she was just so wonderful. I get that she was the heroine of the story, the protagonist, but it felt like just a little much to me. (Of course, some of my favorite stories are anti-hero as protagonist, so I'm maybe not the most reliable judge here) Really the only person that seemed to have any issue with her was the one lady who wrote a couple times against the literary society (forget her name, sorry), and I REALLY wanted to hear a scathing response from Juliet lol.
This was one of my biggest gripes, tbh. Juliet was just a little too Mary Sue for my liking. Her personality was a bit one-dimensional and everyone fawning over her got a bit exhausting in the end.

As for the letters, it took me a while to get into the swing of it but the format did add to the overall charm. My main issue here was, remembering what character was writing the letter? Everyone had the same voice, the same style of writing and at times it was hard to distinguish who was who.

The setting being the occupation of the island during WWII is mostly what kept me wanting to read on. The tales of daily struggles but resilience of the residents were the highlights for me. I had to keep going because I wanted to know what happened to Elizabeth!

Also, this is a classic tale of 'don't judge a book by it's cover' because with a title like this I probably wouldn't have given it the time of day usually so thank you Book Seekers!

RESERVED | SENSITIVE | TENACIOUS
sticks like glue
Waterloo is offline   Reply With Quote