View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 01:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Harron Peasley
Dark Force Defense League

DERP
Mooncalf

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Reuben Albert Darcy-Stemp
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Billie Love Stemp
Gryffindor
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Fintan Darcy
Ecological Protection
x3
Sarah thinks I'm cute | Shan's safe space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
Well, here's a question for you guys who are so so so familiar with these characters and love them so dearly... I see that they're making a series based on the book. Who can you picture in the key roles? What are the scenes that MUST HAPPEN or you'll boycott?
This is really difficult. It was initially adapted as a play (12 years ago! :O) and Richard Madden played Callum, which I would have loved to see. I think Letitia Wright could be incredible in it, too. I know Stormzy (who's a big fan of the books and even referenced them in his Glasto set) was the first cast announcement, and I was drawing a complete blank as to who he could play - it turns out they've created a role especially for him, so that will be interesting to see.

I was REALLY sad to hear that they've changed it so that it starts with Sephy and Callum at 19/20, rather than 14/15, so some of the issues they face (like the school environment) are unlikely to feature. I would have loved to see Callums first day at school - such a pivotal moment will surely make it into the series, though, so it will be interesting to see the new take on it.

Callums realisation that his dad and brother are very involved in the Liberation Militia and his desperate rush to warn Sephy has to be in it, too.

How did the book make you feel? Angry, ashamed, hopeful, BROKEN. BROKEN BEYOND ANYTHING EVER.

What was your opinion of the narration? I personally liked that we got to see the world through the eyes of the two characters - I felt it gave us a better understanding of the different classes and the world than a one-sided or third person narration would have. I also really feel that Sephy's naivety and shelteredness, as well as her selfish teenage-side were reflected well, and it was a stark contrast to Callum's realist mindset. Again, he came across as such a teenager at first, but his side of the narration was my favourite as I felt you really saw him grow.

Did any parts of the book particularly stand out to you? Callums growth - from a determined teenager who thinks the world is heading in the right direction, to a resigned one who believes theres nothing going for him, through to a new rebellious and old-beyond-his-years young man, I loved his character development, and how it wasn't necessarily good. The first day of school, where Sephy doesn't understand why her word hurt so much. The plaster incident. Sephy telling Callum his baby would love him.

I'm a mess, bye.

⇀ Standing now, calling all the people here to see the show_____________________________
Calling for my demons now to let me go ↽

Harron Peasley is offline   Reply With Quote