View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 12:03 AM

Default Review: The Rise of Skywalker

By Dory Benford

I had several questions going into The Rise of Skywalker: Why are Rey and Kylo Ren so connected? What is Rey’s lineage? How will the filmmakers handle Leia’s arc now that Carrie Fisher has left us far too soon? Will we get more of Finn’s magical bromance with Poe? Where has Lando Calrissian been? And finally, will I ever see an Ewok again? Well, without spoiling anything, all my questions were answered in spectacular fashion. This was a fast paced, nonstop adventure that kept me completely engaged.

The Rise of Skywalker is definitely a departure from the heaviness of The Last Jedi. I liked both installments, but honestly, I had more fun watching this movie. It took me back to my childhood, when I was first introduced to Star Wars, and that nostalgia made me smile, laugh, cry and cheer throughout. There’s a ton of fan service in this movie, which some will take issue with I’m sure, but for the most part, it worked for me.

Is it the perfect movie? No. The first half felt, at times, bogged down in exposition and transmitter talk, and yes, I found some of the long-awaited reveals to be a little anti-climactic, but it didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the movie. This film was bursting at the seams with characters and plot points, making it feel messy at times, but not overwhelming. Despite the film’s shortcomings, I still left the theater feeling satisfied. In the end, I got everything I came for — epic lightsaber battles, an iconic score, good guys vs. bad guys, answers to questions I’ve pondered for years and the chance to bear witness to the true end of an era.

The Rise of Skywalker opens in theaters tomorrow!