View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 01:37 PM

Default Herbology Lesson 1: Herb Spirals

Bright and early on the first day of classes you find yourself heading to the greenhouses after having your first breakfast with the Beauxbatons students. Your first class, a lesson for all Herbology students regardless of year level, is scheduled to begin at 8am sharp.

At the base of the impressive main greenhouses there is a smaller greenhouse that was mostly used for storage until it was assigned as a learning space for Hogwarts students, who are lucky to have both a greenhouse of their own (even if it is a small one) and a small garden area at the back. At least, it SEEMS to be a garden area - right now it is empty aside from piles of different soils, and stacks of what seems to be building materials.

In the greenhouse itself there is a large central table area set up in a squared off U shape. Inside the U there is a smaller table, which has various potted herbs arrayed across it. It DOES smell rather lovely, and gently stimulating for those of you who are still a little sleepy. To one side you can see directly through the glass into Professor Beryl's office space - it is small but convenient that she can keep an eye on the greenhouse from within it. However she is not within right now: at the top of the U there is a blackboard (currently blank) and your professor stands next to it, smiling in warm welcome.

"Good morning, please stow your gear in one of the cubby holes and label it with your name," There were several around the perimeter of the greenhouse, both under the workstations and above, "And take a seat at the table. Take out your journal and writing materials please - you won't need anything else for now, unless you have allergies, in which case please put a face mask on. While we wait for everyone to arrive, see if you can identify any of the herbs by scent or by sight - but stay seated please." It shouldn't be long, your professor always likes to start on time after all.

ooc: Welcome to your first class of the term! Both IC and OOC. For your reference, this lesson is directly before the DADA lesson that will be next to open. If you want to know more about this classroom, you can take a look at this thread. You can post your student arriving, claiming a cubby and stowing all their Herbology stuff, and taking guesses about what herbs they see and smell. I have an appointment in about 11 hours time, so I'll be starting the lesson after I get home from that. So its safe to say you have at least 13 hours and up to 16 hours to post arriving (I will give a heads up in the chat when I start on my reply ) As always, if you have any questions, you can PM me.

Index:
Question 1: What garden designs have you seen? How do you think the layout or the shapes of a garden effects the plants within it?
Question 2: how do you think the Three Druidic Elements apply to a spiral garden?"
some responses and last chance to answer the above question
Mini Activity: Identify ten plants from the table. Use your textbooks to help figure them out, and be sure to make notes on how you know what they are (identifying features etc).
Five minute warning to complete mini activity (you can still easily jump in here!)

Notes:
SPOILER!!: blackboard

coming soon

SPOILER!!: handouts

coming soon