Thread: Water Cooler
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 09:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Skiving Snackboxes
Hufflepuff
Imp

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kekayana Whispers
Sixth

Well, I just took a look at our first issue, <Yea!> and I have a few questions and suggestions.

There was only one advertisement, is that always going to be the case? I ask because I had gotten the impression that the Advertisement section was going to be....well exactly that a section, like in a real newspaper; it's own page with various ads created by Raven and/or sent in by students and teachers. I also thought just having it stuck up there thus creating the need for frames kind of annoying. That might just be more of a me thing because I hate frames but I figured why not mention it.

Another suggestion I have would be to remove the sidebar with the links to the advice, comics, etc. because it all listed under Life and Styles. I think having the both of them automatically makes one of them redundant.

The next thing I noticed involves the format of the articles themselves. Right now authors are identified with their User Names. To me this doesn't make any sense because the Quill is supposed to be an entirely IC paper so why are we not using our character names. I know a few execptions were made this time because it was the first issue, but if I remember correctly Amber said that would only be for this issue. Obviously, the question arises: if we use our character names how are people going to know who we really are? I suggest putting our User Names on the staff page as they are now only in parentheses next to our user names and bios (assuming we will have bios that's impression I got anyway) or we could put them in parentheses in the articles. I would prefer it on the staff page because I think doing it that way would preserve the IC-ness of the paper more. (IC-ness....is that even a word ) lol

Finally, after seeing it all put together I don't think the title (The SS Quill-The Snitchseeker School Newspaper) fits for the exact same reason; it's stepping out of character. Perhaps we should come up with something new.

Anyway just my thoughts; what do you guys think?

Edit-Amber, cutie, I just noticed that it still says Distributed Weekly.
"Oh, am I?"