View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 01:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Bazinga
Dark Force Defense League

MO & DMGS
Forest Troll

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kirsten Delbin
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mateo Theodore
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alana Potter
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Bart Culloden
Games & Sports

x11 x9
Puff by day, snake by night | Mj's bestie | Always UP to Something...

presents

Arts in London: Focus on Framed!
January, 2094
by:Casimir Windsor
Coeus Miarkos moves slowly through his London gallery taking extra care to adjust a frame here or a metal piece there. His attention to detail and love of art is evident as I watch the 50-something Grecian go about his day to day routine. Preparing to open for the day, he says, is one of his favorite parts of the job. Not the big shows, I ask? “Oh no. Those are fun and always exciting, but this… this is what I love. The quiet before the bustle begins," he explains in his still heavily accented English.

Originally from the Isle of Santorini, he first landed in London when he bought the TerrorTours Travel Agency. “While I do love travel, it was never exactly my passion,” he says as he stops in front of a display of some of his own work, blown glass roses that are absolutely stunning to behold. Noticing that I was looking, the artist and owner graces me with a smile before chuckling and moving on. Of course, I could not let that go! Pressing him on the meaning of his expression, Miarkos shared with me a rather candid tale of his love for the former DP journalist, Hunter Bones (now Bones-Miarkos). “Early in our relationship, that headstrong woman… oi, she gave me such grief… well, we were in London and passed by a street vendor selling sub-par roses. Of course, she was eyeing them up, so I paid the man and handed them over. Pfft… she was seemingly unimpressed with the gesture, as she was wont to be, but it did inspire me to start working with glass on my own. My wife has since inspired me in many other works of art. As have our children.” The admiration in his voice and the love in his eyes was enough to melt even the coldest of hearts… or the hardest.

But he insists that is enough about him, despite my many attempts to move the conversation along more personal routes. His other loves, his galleries, are what he wanted to discuss instead. “I hit a rough spot a few years ago and sold the shoppe in Diagon and fled back to my island home. Art still in my heart and on my mind, it seemed only natural to open the first gallery there. With the help of my sister Circe and my brother Mortimer, my son and I made the small place our home. With a little magic and lots of love it took off fairly well.” Κυνηγός, which translates to Huntress, was where he developed his love for the arts and invited artists both young and old to display their work. Coeus paid no mind to whether some would consider the works “high art” or the like, he only cared that those who shared his passion had a place to display their work. Even allowing musicians to come in on weekends and play quietly for the exposure if nothing else.

One of London's own residents, Maddison Cooper was invited to show her art in the Santorini gallery when she attended university. "Giving young people a chance to display their work in a special love of mine, really. Not to sound cliché, but they are the future. Miss Cooper is an extraordinary talent and her work tells such a deep story." He then showed me one of her paintings, which was indeed a sight to behold.

I later spoke to Maddison, and she had a lot to say about her art, as well as Coeus' impact on the art world. "I've met many people in the art world, but few have supported me like Co has. His honesty, eccentricity, and willingness to showcase young artists make him invaluable to the art community because he allows those young artists to gain exposure and pursue their passion by taking a chance on them, thus allowing the art community to grow year after year. Coeus took a chance on me by showcasing my earlier works in both of his galleries. Even though I was young, he shared my pieces which focused on the battles I was going through in my personal life, and the exposure was cathartic and eye-opening. I appreciate his help more than I can say."

Knowing Miss Cooper's thoughts on Miarkos, I was drawn to and moved by the hand-painted sign next to a smaller framed piece, reading “Young Artists to Watch Out for." I am immediately blown away by a scene of Hogwarts in winter, specifically the storied Forbidden Forest. “Oliver Borzekowski- Thomas,” he says immediately, a hint of pride in his voice. “Talented young man. I had a small contest, not widely publicized, mind you, for young talent to win a small sum as well as a place for their art to be displayed here among some major names. Every kid’s dream, no? Oliver’s work blew me away.” Mr. Borzekowski-Thomas is currently in his final year at Hogwarts, I learn and has had a love of art since a rather young age. It shows.

We next move through what I would call a lounge area, for lack of a better description. Scattered about are a few pieces of what are clearly handcrafted furniture, ranging from functional to simply funky. What happens to catch my eye is a fascinating crystal chandelier hanging overhead. As I prepare to ask Mr. Miarkos about it, something drips onto my Gucci jacket, much to my frustration… but as the gallery owner begins to laugh, I see that it completely disappears. Intrigued is an understatement now as I crane my neck to further inspect the piece. “Anton Gellar handcrafted that beauty. He is an amazing craftsman. Furniture is his focus, but he dabbles in other things as well. Like this chandelier,” he explains. “As you can tell, that is not water. He has laid charms on it. It is all very fascinating and you would have to speak to the artist in greater detail to learn his process,” he says with a deep-dimpled grin, making it evident that he not only supports these artists, but he wants to open the lines of communication for them to get that exposure. What catches my eye next is an intricately decorated vase, which was, as it turns out, also one of Mr. Gellar’s creations (one I actually procured for myself). Most of the artists’ pieces are crafted for the rich and famous and made to order, so it was a treat for Miarkos to acquire such sought-after pieces for display.

All in all, the place is a marvel of colors and eccentricities as far as the eye can see. It is no wonder that Miarkos has made such a name for himself amongst the art elite, having featured such names as Marcus Branxton, Jamie Everett, and Magdalene Neves to add to the list. Branxton was actually part of the trifecta opening of Framed! The multi-talented man has since moved onto his second photography book, and, as Miarkos states, “There is nothing Marcus Branxton cannot do. He will long be a name of great admiration in our world.”

The next show will feature works from Ansley Finch (35) and the aforementioned Jamie Everett (29). When asked what to expect, Coeus smiled and simply said, “Magic.” Considering the first is a former History of Magic Professor and the other a famed tattoo artist, I am going to be the first to purchase tickets when the time comes. For all the latest in art in our magical world pop into one of these famed galleries!