View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 PM

Post Tom Felton talks 'Clavius' role & film, Harry Potter series memories

Tom Felton went into detail about his role in the upcoming Biblical story, Clavius, including what role he took on and what it was like working with costar Joseph Fiennes (younger brother to Voldemort actor Ralph Fiennes). More on that, as well as some fond memories of the Harry Potter series during the interview, at the IWC Gala dinner in honour of the BFI, can be seen below.

Quote:
Tom Felton: It’s titled Clavius. It’s a telling of the crucifixion through the eyes of an agnostic Roman legionnaire. It’s a very different and interesting spin on the story that we all know so well. We’re halfway through shooting at the moment. I’m having a great time working with Joseph Fiennes and likewise with Kevin Reynolds, a really experienced filmmaker. And very excited to see the results.

I play Joseph Fiennes right-hand man, a very young, fresh-faced aid, whose only really been used to the luxuries of Rome and is now thrusted into the midst of the trial and crucifixion of Jesus Christ. So he has to learn really quickly on his feet. It’s a very exciting role.

When you’re tackling any religious material, it’s always prone to controversy and people getting sensitive about it. Did you have any hesitation because of that?
Tom Felton:
When I first heard the concept, yes, there was some slight hesitation for the reasons that you just noted. This is such a different spin on it that, quite quickly upon reading the screen play, I realized that it wasn’t touching on the controversial elements of the religious material; it was really a beautiful way of weaving a fictitious tale into the historical facts that we know. So I don’t think it’s going to be the cause of too much controversy. At the same time, I think it will really change people’s perception on what it may have been like at that time.

Quote:
You’ve been part of the biggest film franchise of all time with Harry Potter, looking back on that now with some distance what’s your fondest, most special memory from those seven years of magic?
Tom Felton:
It’s hard to pluck one, really. There are so many fond memories. It really was like looking back at your school years and trying to pick one defining moment that you can really revel. But, really the people that I got to work with – looking back at it, you really get the appreciation of working for some of the best – the cream of the crop – in any of their industries. Harry Potter certainly had some of the best behind-the-scenes people that you could possibly hope to work for or wish to work with. Certainly learned a lot through that and I hold my Harry Potter castmate family still very close. So I’m very lucky for that as well.

One debate amongst the Potter fans that J.K. Rowling triggered with her comments were the whole Ron and Hermione/how viable their relationship is. Do you have an opinion on that one?
Tom Felton:
I try to stay out of this. There seems to be a new spin on what should have happened or what could have happened possibly, if Jo had gone down another avenue. I think it’s fantastic that fans are still interested, really. There seems to be a new spin on each character every year as they go on. So I think it’s fantastic that the people are still interested and passionate to hear more of the subtext to the stories and interesting lives of the characters.

If you were ever asked, would you like to play Draco again? If J.K. wrote more material that involved him?
Tom Felton:
Absolutely. How could I possible say no? I doubt it’ll happen, but if it ever did I would certainly lend my services. I’d be first on the list. Absolutely.

Do you have a message for fans before you leave us?
Tom Felton:
Thank you very much for all the support for the British film industry and I hope you thoroughly enjoy the weeks ahead of us