Thread: Character: Breakdown - Sa16+
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Connie
Gryffindor
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Janet Lynn Gordon
Fifth Year
Werecats are people too! Reader of Fan Fictions

Hey Episky, thanks for posting your ff here on SS. I think it's wonderful so far and I look forward to read more as you post more. Do you want us to call you Episky or do you have a name we can call you? Here are a couple thoughts on your ff.
Quote:
It was moments before dawn, when the sky was light enough to create silhouettes of the land it hovered over, but dark enough to cling to the peace that the night had instilled. It gave him the chance to find the calm he was seldom able to reach. He had come to find this time of day to be sacred to him, which was funny considering up until almost three years ago he wasn’t even aware this time of day existed. Auror training had truly done a number on his sleeping patterns. Auror training had done a lot to his life.
I love starting a story with descriptions like this. I love being able to picture the scene in my mind as if I am really there.
Quote:
His mother had practically sobbed into him when he had visited for Christmas, both upset and proud of how her youngest son had grown into such a man right under her nose.
Mom's are that way. I am a mom of three grown children, and I am that way myself.
Quote:
He missed the house-elves’ cooking at Hogwarts, and above all, his mother’s, but the squibs of Scrimgeour Academy for Magical Combat were good enough cooks to satisfy Ron’s appetite.
Ron always did have a healthy appetite.
Quote:
a sharp pain ached in his heart as his eyes wandered to George, sitting next to his mother whose other hand held his, no twin in sight.
So sad!
Quote:
If he had only treasured that sole passion then the way he did now, he was sure that things would never have changed. He would never have let them.
Poor Ron. Looking back on the past makes going on the path you chose for your future hard to follow.
Quote:
You will be put through a series of situations, testing what we have come to acknowledge as both personal and communal strengths and weaknesses.
Sounds ominous.
Quote:
He began to panic, trying to push down the sobs that were urging to surface, to clear his mind of the emotion that could potentially block him from physically taking hold of the situation. He took several steps forward into the room until he hovered over her, and the emotional reaction to the sight in front of him began to overpower. He froze. In his mind, he knew it was only a drill, but the shock of the situation before him was too much for his heart.
He shut his eyes tight, trying to snap himself out of it. It’s not her. She’s not really here. DO SOMETHING, FOR MERLIN’S SAKE! He snapped his eyes back open, and found that Hermione was no longer Hermione, but his mother in a similar state. He realized the mistake he had made within moments, and in an eager effort to rid himself of the awful images he had fallen witness to, he bellowed, “RIDDIKULUS!” The boggart vanished.
This was very well written. To Ron it probably felt like he spent too much time figuring out what was really going on. But I know that when you are terrified like Ron was there that time seems to drag out when in reality only moments went bye. Very good way to end your post in my opinion.
Quote:
Immediately following was their review, presented by Williamson, and a five hour training session in what the boys endearingly referred to as the “Bludger Ring”. The training takes place in a circular dome in which the Auror-in-training is faced with obstacles similar to that of the maze in the most recent Triwizard Tournament. The exercise is aimed at challenging both physical and mental strength, leaving one feeling as if they have just endured the repetitive blow of a bludger for the entirety of the exercise…hence it’s charming nickname.
Oh wow! No wonder not many kids go in for Auror training!
Quote:
When the hysterics had died down and the realization that they’d all be called back to round two of their final tests in less than six hours had surfaced, they all sauntered off to their dorms to get much needed rest.
I can't wait to see what comes next in the testing.
Quote:
“Sorry! I’m just running a bit—“
“Late? I’m absolutely shocked.”
He froze. There was no way Hermione Granger was standing in front of him at Scrimgeour Academy, and yet no matter how many times he blinked she was still there, grinning in amusement.
Well Ron, give her a quick hug and kiss and get your breakfast. (That is if it really is Hermione and not some trick of Mr. Robards )

Well done Episky. I like your ff and hope you can post soon.