View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lissy Longbottom
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan (#b8b323)
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
Default March 2014: Gryffindoll
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

Hello fellow graphic makers! This month, I have the privilege to announce that Dee, also known to many as Gryffindoll, is our March Artist Spotlight winner! Check out her awesome interview and tutorial below. Congrats Dee!

SPOILER!!: Part 1: The Interview

The interviewee (Gryffindoll) is in red italics
The interviewer (Lissy Longbottom) is in bold purple

Hellllooooo Dee! So congratulations and being graphic maker of the month! I'm gonna be honest, I'm a hugeeeeee fan of your work and was super happy when you returned to us! *fangirl squeal* So first things first, how did you get into graphic making? Also, how do you resist the urge to make a million and one graphic shops and just keep the old one going? I love that, I have ZERO self restraint and I'm on shop seven or eight hahaha

HAI LISSY.
THANK YOU. Thank you! Um, I would like to take this moment to thank my mom, and my cat, and— I kid.
Okay. How I got into it… Um. You know what? I think it started here on SS, actually. I was like 12 when I joined and I saw all the little shops and stuff and I was all “EYYY I WANNA DO DAT TOO! ” So I opened up my very first shop - “Dee’z Avviez” (don’t judge me I was a child ok) and I remember I actually used to just crop images and type text on them using Microsoft Paint.
Anyway eventually I was able to get my hands on Paint Shop Pro and tutorials on Livejournal and etc. And now I’ve upgraded to the much more elegant and appealing title of *drumroll* Gryffindoll’s Graphics.

As for keeping one shop this long, I’m lousy at titles, so I just… I made that and just stuck to it. xD

Really? That's awesome! Seems a lot of our awesome graphic makers get their start here on SS - so, if your parents ever bother you about spending too much time on a HP fansite, just tell them YOU'RE LEARNING NEW SKILLS OK?? Haha So now that you're an experience graphic maker, what's your graphic program of choice?

Totally, that’s been my excuse for the past ten years or so.
Oh, Photoshop for sure. At least for signatures and avatars and things like that. Sometimes I’ll use Illustrator too, but Photoshop is the way to go.

I hear a lot of people say they use Illustrator...um, what is that exactly? Haha I only know of Photoshop! Also, what's one of your favorite tools/techniques/etc at the moment?

Illustrator is a vector-based program, it’s more graphics-oriented. I use it for package design or sometimes for small editorial designs. Photoshop is more photo-editing/manipulating.
Hmmmmm my favorite tools… the selection tools?! You can’t make a graphic without having to cut SOMETHING. XD But something I always use is the “Levels” and “Selective Colors” layers when modifying the intensity of the contrast and the colors on the images.

Ugh I LOVE Selective Coloring. It's my go to tool to make things look awesome real fast haha. So you seem to know a LOT about graphics and Photoshop and that fun stuff - does that mean you do graphic stuff OFFSITE as well? Or are you just super well versed in the world of PS?

RIGHT?! Isn’t it the best?!
Thanks, I’m glad you think so! & Yep, I actually went to school for graphic design and work full-time in the field. So I guess you could say SS had an influence in what was to become my career.

That's awesome! I feel like SS got a lot of people into the graphics field - that's so cool though! You'll always be remembered of us SSers at work even if you leave us someday (Which you never will, by the way *staples you here* ) hehe. OK SO FINAL QUESTION. What's the one piece of advice you could give someone looking to start graphics? OH ANOTHER QUESTION TOO SORRY. If you didn't go into graphic design, what would you want to do? Doctor? Author? Superhero?

SS is clearly a good influence on all its members. *Happily hangs from the spot where she’s been stapled* :3

Oooh. Let’s see… the best advice I can give is to just experiment and REALLY get to know the program you’re working with. There’s so many amazing things computer programs can do, like millions of things, and we really only use so few! Mess around with the filters and settings and adjustments and tools, sometimes you end up doing something really cool and saying “WHOA how did I even do that!”

Oh, superhero for sure. Of course, isn’t it obvious? XD
Hm. I’m really not sure, I always wanted to do something in the visual arts, I knew that much. I was kind of tempted to get into illustration because I used to draw and paint a lot. But now I can’t even draw a proper smiley face, so I’m glad I stuck to working with computers instead.

Aww, you're probably an awesome paper artist hehe. Well thanks so much for agreeing to do this interview with me, Dee!! I hope you stick around SS and continue to serve us all such pretty graphics - and I can't wait to see your tutorial as well! Congrats again and keep up the awesome work!

SPOILER!!: Part 2: Tutorial and Examples

For this tutorial I will be using THIS picture of the amazingly beautiful Lily Collins, and modifying it to look like THIS.
Special notes:
- The original coloring/tone of your image has a huge impact on how good or terrible the coloring will look. In this case, the coloring works best with images that have neutral tones and not too many different colors.
- This tutorial was made using Adobe Photoshop CS6.

STEPS:

1. Unless I’m working with an image that is already very light, I use this step 90% of the time, regardless of which coloring technique I’m practicing at the moment.
Go to Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Curves…
On the pop-up, press OK.
Input: 122 Output: 172

Now you have a nice and BRIGHT image.

2. She’s looking a bit pale, so let’s add some warm tones using Color Balance.
Go to Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Color Balance…
On the pop-up, press OK.
On the Tone drop-down menu, select Shadows
Cyan-Red: +14
Magenta-Green: -6
Yellow-Blue: -7
On the Tone drop-down menu, select Midtones
Cyan-Red: +10
Magenta-Green: -5
Yellow-Blue: -5
On the Tone drop-down menu, select Highlights
Cyan-Red: -16
Magenta-Green: -10
Yellow-Blue: -8

Voila!

3. Now it’s a little too warm and sunny. I want to create a contrast between warm and cold tones using Selective Color. (If a color is not listed, its value stays as “0”)
Go to Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Selective Color…
On the pop-up, press OK.
Colors: Reds
Cyan: -79
Yellow: +9
Black: +20

Colors: Yellows
Cyan: +7

Colors: Cyans
Cyan: +95

Colors: Blues
Cyan: +61

Colors: Whites
Cyan: +53
Black: -42

Colors: Neutrals
Cyan: +61
Magenta: +10
Yellow: +13

Colors: Blacks
Cyan: +41

Oohlala. Contrasty. And look at that red!

4. Let’s make those reds pop even MORE using Saturation.
Go to Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Hue/Saturation…
On the pop-up, press OK.
Select Reds from the drop-down menu
Saturation: +73
Select Greens from the drop-down menu
Saturation: +47
Select Cyans from the drop-down menu
Saturation: +53
Select Blues from the drop-down menu
Saturation: +52
Now she’s like super orange, so lower the opacity of this layer to 30%

5. This is another personal favorite I always use. There is no special reason behind it besides that it looks nice.
Go to Layer -> New Fill Layer -> Gradient…
On the pop-up, select “Soft Light” from the Mode drop-down menu and press OK.
Now select a basic black and white gradient (Photoshop should have one by default) that fades from pure black to pure white.
Style: Linear
Angle: 90
Press OK.

This effect places more emphasis on wherever the white falls, and places a shadow where the darker side of the gradient falls. In this case, the lighter part falls on her eyes which is great because she has lovely eyes so let’s emphasize them!

6. Let’s dull out the whites a teeeeeny tiny bit using an Exclusion layer.
Go to Layer -> New Fill Layer -> Solid Color…
On the pop-up, select “Exclusion” from the Mode drop-down menu and set opacity to 40%
Use color #13171e

The difference might not be HUGE, but it helps soften the harsh whites a little.

7. Now let’s make it feel all dreamy and whimsical by giving it a warm glow.
Create a new layer and set it to “Screen”
Using the brush tool (with a 0% hardness) press on the upper left-side of the image using color #F5DA8F (about once or twice, you don’t want the glow to become harsh). There is no right or wrong on the size of your brush, but in this case I used it at size 400px.
Now it looks like the sun is shining its rays upon our lovely Lily Collins. But it’s a bit strong, so let’s lower the opacity to 60%.
Duplicate the layer with the glow and this time set it to “Soft Light” with 100% opacity.
Move this layer UNDER the “Screen” layer.
NOTE: The placement of the glow, its intensity, size, etc. are all entirely up to you and will most likely vary from image to image.

8. Lastly, we will warm and soften the blacks just very slightly using a fill layer set to Lighten.
Go to Layer -> New Fill Layer -> Solid Color…
On the pop-up, select “Lighten” from the Mode drop-down menu and set opacity to 70%
Use color #362f2d

WOO!!! We’re ALMOST done!
Now simply merge all your layers
Layer -> Flatten Image
And most important step in graphic design history: sharpen.
Filter -> Sharpen -> Sharpen
WOO!!! We did it! And here is our final image:

I hope you guys enjoyed the tutorial and use it in the future!

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid