View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 02:28 AM

Post Matthew Lewis talks Neville, scenes with McGonagall, Voldemort in Deathly Hallows 2

Matthew Lewis recently spoke to the LA Times about some key sequences in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, involving scenes with Professor McGongall and Ralph Fiennes as Lord Voldemort. Matt discussed the dramatic change of character for Neville Longbottom, and his brave turn at the end of the series. Highlights on Matt's comments about the final film and his character are below; the full interview, where he talked about being cast in the role over a decade ago, can be read here.

Neville is one of the most awesome characters in the books. He could have been the chosen one instead of Harry. Did that influence how you played him?
ML:
Well, I mean, not in the early days. I’d not read the fifth book; it hadn’t been released at the time when I was doing Neville Longbottom in the first few films, so it wasn’t something I was really aware of. And then I decided to read after the new ones got released, and then you realize just how crucial your character is, and even how crucial he could have been. Yeah, it was interesting.

I don’t think Neville was aware of all that kind of stuff going on. I just think it’s something where he’s an everyday kind of guy who ends up being caught up in this mad situation. Harry’s a hero, and Neville’s not. He’s just an average kid, and he happens to get caught up in this, and he plays his part. I think that’s quite endearing. I love the idea that he’s not really aware of all these prophecies and things, and just how important and special he actually is. He gets on with it.

He does what he thinks is right, regardless of the chaos around him?
ML:
Exactly, exactly. That’s the nice thing. He’s got amazing heart and courage, and he’s got no interest in the politics. He just wants to stay loyal to his friends and do the right thing.

He seems like more of a Hufflepuff when you first meet him. In the final film, does he get to have his Gryffindor moment?
ML:
It’s that weird thing that Jo [J.K. Rowling] did when she wrote the character. Everyone was sort of thinking, “Well, why is he in Gryffindor?” And it just shows that you don’t have to be perfect. You don’t have to be a Brad Pitt look-alike hero just to be courageous and help out your friends and come through when it really matters.

I think everyone can sort of relate to that in some way, particularly back to people’s school days. Like, I wasn’t on the football team at school or whatever, but it doesn’t matter. You can still make a difference. … He’s watching Harry. He’s learned from Harry. They’re very similar people in terms of what’s happened to them in their past, and I think he got a lot of inspiration from Harry, particularly in films 5 and 6. And now he’s stepped into that role while Harry’s been away, and he’s really stepped up to the plate. He’s changed a lot. He’s come a long way.

Do we get to see him as the leader of an army?
ML:
There’s some nice moments where [Professor Minerva] McGonagall is handing out instructions, and Neville’s got a job to do, and he takes his band of troops, and they go. It’s pretty cool stuff. Neville’s a leader in this film. There are a couple of moments in the room of requirement with the rest of Dumbledore’s Army, where we really see Neville as this resistance leader, this on-the-ground leader who’s instructing the students what to do, where to go. He’s like a beaten, battered war veteran in this one.

What was your favorite part about filming the last movie?
ML:
All the battle sequences were just amazing. Doing stunts and stuff like that is not something you get to do every day. And working with the explosives and running around, firing spells and using swords and stuff — it’s not something that you do all the time. So that was just so much fun, coming into work and being able to do all that and mess around and have fun.

The most challenging part?
ML:
I got a couple of scenes with Ralph Fiennes, which was pretty terrifying, because he’s just so good at what he does. He’s so good at playing Voldemort, and he’s got this very sinister, malevolent feeling on set. It helps you get into character, I can tell you that. But at the same time, I was terrified! I was nervous. I was thinking, “Gee, he’s Ralph Fiennes. What an amazing actor, and I can have this scene with him.” But I enjoyed it, you know. That’s what I got into acting to do — to push myself and see if I can do these things.