Thread: HoM: Lesson One
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #144 (permalink)
Kaos.Doodles
Dark Force Defense League

SS Featured Author
Clabbert

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Takeru Asakura
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Legend Chosen
Magical Law Enforcement

x5 x7
★ BabyQuad ★ PERRY THE PLATYPUS ★ Ern's Fave ★ dangerous with brooms ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
It was not true, and both the professor and West got very hard looks before Vivi dropped her eyes. To her shoes. Hmm. Two shoes. Two annoying prats. Kismet.

But NO. She was working on impulse control, and besides, this particular professor had just proved to the entire class that he was using gossip and rumor as a source rather than hard cold facts. And that made him pretty much useless in her mind. If he couldn't tell the difference, then she didn't know that this class was going to do her a bit of good. Sigh.

Her hand went up at his question, a stiff line from her very stiff body since she was still working on that impulse to chuck her shoes at someone. "Perhaps not a spell to make it run, Professor, but I'm certain there are a number of Concealment Charms on the train to keep it from being noticed out in the countryside. We didn't exactly choose a low key color motif for it, did we?"
"There are many trains out there that are red." It wasn't exactly uncommon. Now if the train was a neon orange, that would drwa some suspicion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fastest seeker View Post
Cassia listened to the answers and what Professor Scabior commented on them. Hmmm....She somehow noticed that her history knowledge was kinda poor. Anyway, back to listening.

Well, that question was better because it had something to do with spells and not past events. So Cassia paused a bit then raised her hand hesitatingly . "Mmmm...Incendio probably, you know to help burn the coal or something." The train did have a coal car ,right? Well, hopefully yes because it would make Cassia look so much stupid if it didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyWeasley06 View Post
Ariana scratched her head. she was confused raising her hand she asked "Professor doesn't the train run off the coal?" because there WAS a coal car.. Ariana rode that thin at least a dozen times or so may be and there Was a coal car.. so it ran off coal and not magic.. right?

"Currently the train doesn't run on coal." He pointed to number nine on the list. He'd explain it more. "Not all the time at least."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayquilz View Post
Elliot was super bored of the train talk. But History was usually interesting. Scabior BETTER have something good up his sleeve, or Elliot would totally denounce him as the coolest professor...not that he held that title anyway..

OR did he?

Elliot didn't really know. He seemed to be strict, so she liked that...but he HAD just scolded her..so...hmmm....

She raised her, and said in her drawl, "Well, since trains usually run on coal or some sort of power source that muggles use, wouldn't magic have to replace that source? Can't the normal modes of power that muggles use not be mingled with magic? So he would have had to replace those power sources with...magical ones." Exactly which ones..

Well, Elliot didn't know. Nope.

Hmm. "Yes. That was already pointed out. Pay attention.." He pointed to thelist once more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post
Jory raised his hand. "If the train uses coal like others, perhaps the refilling charm was used so that there was always coal burning in the furnace until it completed the journey,'' he said.

"You have a very good point there." Very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterHeadforLife View Post
Kat thought. A spell that can make an object stop moving. WAIT. What spell was that? She remembered the incantation... but not the name. Err... Think, Katrina Marie Hudson, think harderrrrrr.

She was panicking on the inside. The answer was at the tip of her tongue. What... what..... Then she remembered. "Probably it could be the Freezing Charm, Professor," Kat said. Making a guess wasn't bad, right? "Immobulus is the incantation."
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbain View Post
Theodore shrugged his shoulders, but raised his hand anyway. Everyone had pretty much said all of the obvious answers, so Theo decided to hatch a plan to the professor instead.

"I think he could have used an invisibility spell, for an extra precaution." He nodded.

Well...hmmmm. "That would make it almost impossible you all of you to board the train now wouldn't it?." If it were invisible. Probably more than half the students would miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheBurrow View Post
Ella looked at the small train in front of her thoughtfully, trying to think of the numerous spells Ottaline Gambol would have placed it. Her first thoughts obviously had to do with making it move by magic, though someone had already shared that answer. Next she figured that Gambol would have wanted to protect the train so that Muggles and other outside forces could not interact with it. Concealment charms would work for that, though yet another classmate mentioned that too. Darn. The only other thing she could think of was the Shield Charm. Gambol would want to protect the students from harm, yeah? "Professor, I think that Gambol would have used the Shield Charm to help protect the train as best she could from attacks, though clearly that didn't work out so well..."

"She didn't. But she probably should have." So good guess there. "One was placed on the train after the second attack though."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Eye Touz View Post

Aspen liked this answer, but it... brought up another thought. She tapped her wand on the train before her thoughtfully and halfway, sort of, all while still staring at Louisa, raised her hand.

"IF the train is actually running on coal, and since it has a coal car, we can assume it's at least capable of locomotion via coal -- then perhaps it simply is running on coal? We're told it's powered by magic, and since there were some Pureblood wizards upset about muggle transportation when the train was introduced, perhaps... those parents were just appeased with a fib to get students on the train. Maybe it's running muggle magic. Have you ever checked?" Did he want to go check right now? Aspen was down for it. Right now. Let's gooooo!Conspiracy theory! Yeah!

But to answer the question with ONE spell or charm, Aspen shrugged. "There are a lot of students here and that train is normal sized by all outward appearances. I've never not had a seat or felt cramped on the train, so I'd wager the insides are expanded with magic. Or the luggage cars shrunk." Hmmm.

Again. Did he want to go CHECK and see? Like detectives. History Detectives.

It DID have a coal car yes! "No I have not checked Miss Odessa, I haven't been on the Hogwarts express in more than fifteen years." And why would have have wanted to check then? Pssh. He hadn't cared. "But your observation-all of your observations-" Anyone who had noted hat there was a coal car and it would be a waste to just have it there. "-are right in some sort of way."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortalismusicoh View Post
There was still more to say about the train? It wasn't boring, it was just SO MUCH! All Ness could do was absorb it in her mind and take down a few notes too. She needed to make sure she knew this well and notes were her easiest way of studying.

What charm or spell? Pout..and what was that mans name.

Whatever it was, she never caught it in time and that meant blanks in her notes. Great just great. What if a question involving this mans name was asked in her OWLs? That meant she would fail. Oh gosh the stress! She shook her head quickly and tried to focus on an attempt to answer. She raised her hand. "Um..." The answer left her mind, which was partly because Oakey had just passed her note back to her.

She took a quick look at it, looked at the Professor and began flailing inside. The Professor hadn't noticed the note right? She hopped not, but just in case she kept it hidden under desk and waited before she wrote back.

'You seem to be close to Dylan, the snake captain. I was wondering if you could maybe spy on him for me?' She scribbled and then handed it secretly back to her friend.

It was something big to ask, and maybe even rude, but she felt she could trust Oakey.
The note sprung up into the air and flew into the hands of the History of Magic Professor. Since WHEN were notes allowed to be passed around in his class. Unfolding the parchment skimmed the quick message. "Interesting. Miss Dixon, why don't you come up here and read this out loud for me." Like, now. Since it was SO important.

He was waiting.

And WHILE he was waiting, he created another list on the board.

Used On the Hogwarts Express:
Locomotor Locomotive
Concealment Charms
Obliteration Charm
Colour Enchantment
Repello Muggletum
Expansion Charm
Refilling Charm (for emergencies)
Shield charm (placed after second attack)
+Some others

"For those of you who have taken into account the coal car good job. The train does not run on the use of coal though. As Mister Odessa first said, Locomotor Locomotive happens to be how the train gets to Hogwarts. The coal train is there for a reason however." He paused so people could take notes. It was important. "When the Ministry decided how the train would run they approved of the idea of a backup method. And so the idea to leave the coal car in tact so it could be used in emergencies if ever Locomotor spell failed." Backup method. Wizards had them. "Which if anything, is the main reason why the Hogwarts Express has a conductor." Was that all cleared up? If not someone better rase a hand since he was moving on.

"Some of you might ask, why the coal car was not used most recently, and the answer to that is simple, the whole train was shut down. All the engines. The Locomotor charm taken off. Everything completely shut down. What could have caused this?"

OOC:The lesson will continue in 9 hours.

{act like you know me, but you never will}__{but there's one thing that I know for sure}

{i'll show you}