sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1188 users online including...
Marinalfd , ramsspeelay , Marinasgf , JustinzeTip , Michailhmv , Mutunsutt

6 members
1182 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > Floo Network (Extra Fun) > The Book Seekers (Book Club)

The Book Seekers (Book Club) If you love books like we love books, come on over and read with us.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2022, 09:49 PM

Default The Book Nook

The Book Nook

Welcome to the Book Nook!

Think of this thread as a sort of… feedback area, but cosier. Do you want to tell someone that you really loved their review? Do you have an idea for a discussion thread, but aren’t sure if people would be interested? Did a book recommended to you by another member blow you away? You can discuss all of that here!

Things to note:
  • Please keep any chatting in this thread related to Book Seekers topics ONLY. General chat should be done via VM or PM with individual members or in the appropriate Discussion thread in the forum.
  • No spoilers or sensitive topics should be discussed here.
  • Posts that aren't on-topic or contain spoiler or sensitive content could be deleted.
  • As always, any concerns or questions should be brought to the Book Seekers mods - Felixir, Bazinga or Lissy Longbottom
Old 10-14-2022, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan (#b8b323)
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

HELLO BOOK SEEKERS!

Real quick update for everyone - we are slowly working on rebuilding the threads lost in this forum in the recent cyber attack. Two major threads were unforutnately lost in this attack - the Reading Goals thread, and the 2022 Book Seekers Reading Challenge.

For the reading goals, the mods have decided that we will start fresh in 2023 and create a new Reading Goals thread EVERY YEAR to help everyone track their reading progress a bit easier in the future.

The Book Seekers Reading Challenge IS being rebuilt and will be reposted shortly. We have old drafts of the challenge, it's just a matter of putting it all back together again! Once it is live simply remake your post in there and update your post accordingly

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid
Lissy Longbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dark Force Defense League

MO & DMGS
Forest Troll

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kirsten Delbin
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mateo Theodore
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alana Potter
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Bart Culloden
Games & Sports

x11 x9
Puff by day, snake by night | Mj's bestie | Always UP to Something...

Omg! I just saw a preview to A Man called Otto, based on the book A Man called Ove. I can't wait to see this.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals
Anashti l Brat Pack l Sally & Dr. Finklestein

I saw the trailer for it yesterday and it was SO good, I absolutely cannot wait for it to come out! My husband is not a reader but A Man Called Ove spoke to him so much that for the first team in literal Y E A R S he read a book. I can't wait to take him to see the film! The fact it's Tom Hanks playing Otto too

Let them point and laugh at who we are, it's you and me here dancing from the start
Chelliephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

MO & DMGS
Forest Troll

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kirsten Delbin
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mateo Theodore
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alana Potter
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Bart Culloden
Games & Sports

x11 x9

I know, I saw it yesterday as well! I think it comes out Christmas day, Tom Hanks is going to be so good at this role.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

MO & DMGS
Forest Troll

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kirsten Delbin
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mateo Theodore
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alana Potter
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Bart Culloden
Games & Sports

x11 x9

I know we lost our thread for Rebecca, but I just finished it and I'm sad we lost the BOTM thread because man I have thoughts! Is there another book after that because how do they end it like that without another book, please tell me there is another book?
Old 12-11-2022, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

DERP & DMGS
Shrake

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jacoby Rivers
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Callista Rivers
Gryffindor
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nathaniel Flannagan
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Patrick Dooley
Ecological Protection
Stealthy Ninja Queen | Snake For Life | waddling baker | binge royalty ♚

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissy Longbottom View Post
HELLO BOOK SEEKERS!

Real quick update for everyone - we are slowly working on rebuilding the threads lost in this forum in the recent cyber attack. Two major threads were unforutnately lost in this attack - the Reading Goals thread, and the 2022 Book Seekers Reading Challenge.

For the reading goals, the mods have decided that we will start fresh in 2023 and create a new Reading Goals thread EVERY YEAR to help everyone track their reading progress a bit easier in the future.

The Book Seekers Reading Challenge IS being rebuilt and will be reposted shortly. We have old drafts of the challenge, it's just a matter of putting it all back together again! Once it is live simply remake your post in there and update your post accordingly
Thank you all for working so hard
Old 12-12-2022, 02:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
I know we lost our thread for Rebecca, but I just finished it and I'm sad we lost the BOTM thread because man I have thoughts! Is there another book after that because how do they end it like that without another book, please tell me there is another book?
I'm glad you ended up liking it and finishing it, because I like it so much! There isn't another book to follow up on Rebecca by the same author, but there are some books out there by OTHER authors who wrote their own sequel after the book entered public domain. I'd be interested in whether or not those are any good...

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest
Cassirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

MO & DMGS
Forest Troll

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kirsten Delbin
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mateo Theodore
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alana Potter
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Bart Culloden
Games & Sports

x11 x9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
I'm glad you ended up liking it and finishing it, because I like it so much! There isn't another book to follow up on Rebecca by the same author, but there are some books out there by OTHER authors who wrote their own sequel after the book entered public domain. I'd be interested in whether or not those are any good...
I found one of them and tried to get it on Libby but it wasn't available. I am going to look for it in other places I think.
Old 12-25-2022, 11:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

DMAC & DERP
Quintaped

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Amelia Adara
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emma Montmorency (#301199)
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Chloe Michelle Adara
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
TiaMarie Mancini
Ecological Protection

x12 x8
YesJess! | Captain Goggles | Mama Badger | Eva's Soul Sister | An OG™ | It's all in the Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Quote:
We should make another thread to discuss this cause mannnnn that ending !!! It took me awhile to get into it, I feel like ... But once I got into it ... I just wanted to know how it ended !!! Also did I see there was a Netflix about it? Did you watch it? Did they maybe offer an alternative ending for it?? I'm curious lol

Nice to meet you, where you been? ______________I could show you incredible things

Magic. Madness. Heaven. Sin________________You look like my next mistake
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 12:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
We should make another thread to discuss this cause mannnnn that ending !!! It took me awhile to get into it, I feel like ... But once I got into it ... I just wanted to know how it ended !!! Also did I see there was a Netflix about it? Did you watch it? Did they maybe offer an alternative ending for it?? I'm curious lol
You're able to make new threads for book discussions at any time! Any time you have a book you want to talk about, but you don't want to nominate it for BotM for any reason or in this case, the old one was deleted thanks to hackers lololol feel free to submit it!

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid
Old 12-28-2022, 02:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
There IS a movie on Netflix that stars Armie Hammer and Lily James. I really liked it - gorgeous costumes and scenery - but it doesn't have an alternate ending, as far as I remember. So if you're looking for a different outcome, that won't make you happy.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1

HIYA GUYS! A few quick things!

1. You have until January 31st to update your Book Seeker Challenge post from 2022 before we start tallying up the points and awarding prizes!

2. We're looking for more nominations for Book of the Moment! Be sure you check out this thread of what we're looking for in our nominations and how to go about submitting your books.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

DERP & DMGS
Shrake

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jacoby Rivers
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Callista Rivers
Gryffindor
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nathaniel Flannagan
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Patrick Dooley
Ecological Protection
Stealthy Ninja Queen | Snake For Life | waddling baker | binge royalty ♚

Quote:
HIYA GUYS! A few quick things!

1. You have until January 31st to update your Book Seeker Challenge post from 2022 before we start tallying up the points and awarding prizes!

2. We're looking for more nominations for Book of the Moment! Be sure you check out this thread of what we're looking for in our nominations and how to go about submitting your books.
Thank you for saying something. I hadn't even realized that my progress had been lost in the great darkness of the hack.
Old 06-24-2023, 04:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1

Hello lovely Book Seekers!

As you probably have noticed, we haven't updated BOTM in a while. We as a mod team have been working behind the scenes to try and figure out ways to spice up BOTM since we've had some low activity when it comes to our last few selections. A new book and discussion will be up soon. In the meantime, keep on chugging along with your reading goals and the Reading Challenge for 2023! We LOVE seeing all the amazing progress you're making and finding new recommendations from all the books y'all are reading!

As always if you have any suggestions for our next Book of the Moment please PM the Book Club mods (all three of us, please!) or anything you'd like to see in general with the forum, feel free to PM us or drop a suggestion in here!

Old 07-13-2023, 05:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Book Club Mod

Alley Proprietor

MO & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Charlie Upstead
Gryffindor
Second Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Regulus Prince
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Daxton Prince
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Nikolai Kaiser
Minister's Office

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ezekiel Ransom-Kruus
Ollivanders
x12 x12
Lovely™ | Captain Hurted | Ariana's Bane | Resident Antagonist | Unparalleled Delight

Hello friends! Anyone want to discuss their progress on their TBS reading challenge or their other goals? Need suggestions for prompts or to get out of reading slumps? Discovered any new genres that you're into at the moment or found your way back to reading after a while?

I'm only just catching up on my yearly reading goal myself and have been doing a few rereads of old favourites (Percy Jackson and Hunger Games, to be specific) which have woken up the book loving monster inside me (and, come to think of it, the writer monster inside of me too) again. Big recommend if anyone is in a reading slump. Comfort reads/old faves help me along every time.

But also I'm halfway through a few books that are either very long and difficult to stick with (but not uninteresting) or very dull and dense and for no good reason I am too stubborn to give up on them Anyone else have that problem or are you more than willing to DNF a book?

You are Chocolate!
Felixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 07:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

DERP
Mooncalf

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Reuben Albert Darcy-Stemp
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Betony April Meadowcroft
Gryffindor
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Fintan Darcy
Ecological Protection
x3
Sarah thinks I'm cute | Shan's safe space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
Hello friends! Anyone want to discuss their progress on their TBS reading challenge or their other goals? Need suggestions for prompts or to get out of reading slumps? Discovered any new genres that you're into at the moment or found your way back to reading after a while?

I'm only just catching up on my yearly reading goal myself and have been doing a few rereads of old favourites (Percy Jackson and Hunger Games, to be specific) which have woken up the book loving monster inside me (and, come to think of it, the writer monster inside of me too) again. Big recommend if anyone is in a reading slump. Comfort reads/old faves help me along every time.

But also I'm halfway through a few books that are either very long and difficult to stick with (but not uninteresting) or very dull and dense and for no good reason I am too stubborn to give up on them Anyone else have that problem or are you more than willing to DNF a book?
I set a goal for 50 and surpassed that this month! I think reading a few old favourites (t'was also Percy Jackson - what can I say, you inspired me) helped me get there, though. Hopefully I won't fall out of the reading love anytime soon - but I'm not expecting to read another 50 books in the second half of the year Going to focus on TBS reading challenge because even though I've read a lot, it's been a lot of easy-read detective series (needed when I was both working AND studying, I didn't have the energy for much else) and they haven't fit into a lot of categories on that!

I used to be super unwilling to give up on a book - especially if I wanted to love it and/or people were obsessed (Girl on the Train was one of them for me, did NOT enjoy but forced myself through to see if I could understand the hype) but now I'm just too lazy. There's always a part of me that wants to continue, but there's too many books and too little time. There are some where I take a break, though - if they're particularly long and tough going but I'm enjoying them (often happens with non-fiction for me), or I feel like I'm not in the right headspace, I'll wait until I'm ready to continue.

⇀ Standing now, calling all the people here to see the show_____________________________
Calling for my demons now to let me go ↽

Harron Peasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 05:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals

I really love having direction and challenges for finding melt reads throughout the year, so this year I had started off with the goal of completing three different reading challenges and a goal of 50 books. It didn't take long though for all the prompts to make reading start to feel more like a chore and not something I love to do, so a few months ago I ditched all but TBS (my fave) and I'm learning to just love reading again! I found some Greek mythology re-tellings, which are always a fave for me to jumpstart, and I have finally actually started my FIRST read through of Percy Jackson! This has been a fun one already, not just because of the content and storytelling but my kids actually were interested by the cover and requested that we read it together so now we've started a new bed time ritual of a chapter a night. Which presents it's own difficulty of not reading ahead, but it's also really special to experience this with them so I'm refraining!

As for giving up on books, I used to be deadset against but in recent years I'm more open to doing so if the book is poorly written or super uninteresting. If it's something that I think is an important message or theme, I'll take a break and return to it later if I'm struggling but otherwise... Like Laura said, there are just so many other books!

I would love to see some suggestions though for some of y'all's favorites! What's been your latest obsession series??

Let them point and laugh at who we are, it's you and me here dancing from the start
Old 07-19-2023, 01:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Oh, I'd love to get some suggestions too. I added reading suggestions from SS friends to my challenge this year, and what I've read so far have been some of my favorite reads so far that I would never have thought to pick up on my own. But I don't have enough recs left to make my goal, so gimme gimme.

As for abandoning books, I don't do it lightly, but I'm with Chellie - if it's just frustrating to read or poorly written, I'll give up on it. I don't give up on books that are hard to read because it's a new genre or a challenging subject, since there's growth there, but I've left a few behind otherwise.

Felix, I've tried to reread some old favorites this year, and sometimes that's a win and sometimes I realize that the book did NOT stand up to the test of time (which is disappointing). But I agree that it's nice to revisit an old friend.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1

Quote:
Oh, I'd love to get some suggestions too. I added reading suggestions from SS friends to my challenge this year, and what I've read so far have been some of my favorite reads so far that I would never have thought to pick up on my own. But I don't have enough recs left to make my goal, so gimme gimme.

As for abandoning books, I don't do it lightly, but I'm with Chellie - if it's just frustrating to read or poorly written, I'll give up on it. I don't give up on books that are hard to read because it's a new genre or a challenging subject, since there's growth there, but I've left a few behind otherwise.

Felix, I've tried to reread some old favorites this year, and sometimes that's a win and sometimes I realize that the book did NOT stand up to the test of time (which is disappointing). But I agree that it's nice to revisit an old friend.
Recently I've been more on the bandwagon of 'If I don't like it, JUST STOP READING IT' and man, is it liberating. My OCD type A personality NEVER used to like stopping books. I would always suffer through it but I've found that it just makes me resent reading as a whole if I'm miserable. Usually the only reason I quit a book is if I really do NOT vibe with the writing style (don't hate me but I recently had to do this with Love, Theoretically which I know a lot of people are loving but like, I couldn't stand the main character and quit 30 pages in >___<) or the story is just not entertaining me at all and even the promise of things possibly picking up in later challenges just can't make me keep going.

How is everyone doing on the their goals?! I'm happy to announce I've already crushed my goal for the year (which I did not expect TBH considering how poorly I did last year)

Old 09-06-2023, 08:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Members
Flobberworm

Quote:
Recently I've been more on the bandwagon of 'If I don't like it, JUST STOP READING IT' and man, is it liberating. My OCD type A personality NEVER used to like stopping books. I would always suffer through it but I've found that it just makes me resent reading as a whole if I'm miserable. Usually the only reason I quit a book is if I really do NOT vibe with the writing style (don't hate me but I recently had to do this with Love, Theoretically which I know a lot of people are loving but like, I couldn't stand the main character and quit 30 pages in >___<) or the story is just not entertaining me at all and even the promise of things possibly picking up in later challenges just can't make me keep going.

How is everyone doing on the their goals?! I'm happy to announce I've already crushed my goal for the year (which I did not expect TBH considering how poorly I did last year)
It's hard for me, since I've always seen giving up on a book as a sort of personal failure. But I just don't have the time anymore to keep reading books that I'm either not enjoying or learning from, so I'm learning to just... put it down.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 12:29 AM   #22 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals

Tis spooky season!! I've been trying to get in the holiday spirit by reading some more thrillers/mysteries. Does anyone have books in these genres or are spoooooky that they'd recommend? I just finished reading The Fear by Natasha Preston and am looking for a new one to work on!

Old 01-01-2024, 01:45 PM   #23 (permalink)

Book Club Mod

Alley Proprietor

MO & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Charlie Upstead
Gryffindor
Second Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Regulus Prince
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Daxton Prince
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Nikolai Kaiser
Minister's Office

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ezekiel Ransom-Kruus
Ollivanders
x12 x12
Lovely™ | Captain Hurted | Ariana's Bane | Resident Antagonist | Unparalleled Delight

the reading challenge for 2024 has just been launched!

also, a heads up that the 2023 challenge thread will stay open for another week or so for people to update with their final reads if they managed to get them done on time. those who like to keep their reading logs can do so in the Reading Goals thread, but I'd also be interested in hearing people talk through their reading goals here as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harron Peasley View Post
(t'was also Percy Jackson - what can I say, you inspired me)
I love being an inspiration, especially if that inspiration was in conjunction with my fav percy jackson

as for suggestions, I'm afraid I'm so bad with suggestions and recommendations for so many reasons. I'm still looking for a series or standalone to become my entire personality. at best I like the books I read, but don't love them, and the ones I always go back to are those which are pretty popular already (like Percy Jackson, the A Song of Ice and Fire series, etc).

this year I think I'll go through and see what other TBS challengers have rated high and give those books a read, plus watch some booktube videos and see where they lead me. because I know there must be some new books out there that I'll love, if only I can find them. then I can come back and recommend them.

(also regarding my DNF saga, I've still not managed to officially DNF a book but I have allowed myself to skim through chapters, as long as I'm confident about what's happened in the parts I sped through, which is a big step for me )

You are Chocolate!
Felixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 06:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

MO & DoM
Graphorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Apollonia Fergersnout
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aurora Ackerly
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Allie McKinley
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Mikkel Andreassen
Mysteries

x12 x6
HeadGirlMC | Treddie & Trixiver <3 | Copy Girl | Katie's Ickle Minion | I love YOU more

I am not typically a book girlie. I used to be an avid reader when I was younger but real life got in my way and I haven’t read for ages. I do have a kindle sat around though ready to be filled up and I am going to give this book challenge a go as well as a cruise in April that is calling for a decent reading session.

With that being said, I’d love some recommendations for books to read as I have no idea where to start. The only genre I’m not really into is romance but anything else I’m willing to give a shot.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
Members
Flobberworm

Default My book recs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottiepot View Post
I am not typically a book girlie. I used to be an avid reader when I was younger but real life got in my way and I haven’t read for ages. I do have a kindle sat around though ready to be filled up and I am going to give this book challenge a go as well as a cruise in April that is calling for a decent reading session.

With that being said, I’d love some recommendations for books to read as I have no idea where to start. The only genre I’m not really into is romance but anything else I’m willing to give a shot.
Cozy Mysteries: I really enjoy the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series by Jenn McKinlay (Book 1 is Sprinkle With Murder)
My favorite cozy series so far only has three books but they were great: Cape Cod Foodie Mysteries by Amy Pershing (Book 1 is A Side of Murder)

Mysteries:
All the Janice Hallett books I have read have been great - they are standalone but all told in unique ways like through e-mails or voice recordings.
The Thursday Murder Club series by Richard Osman - LOVE!

Fiction - magical realism:
Both books by Isabel Canas
Gods of Jade & Shadow by Silvia Moreno Garcia

Fantasy:
Shadow & Bone Trilogy and rest of the grishaverse by Leigh Bardugo

Fiction - fun (could make great cruise reads):
Mr. & Mrs. American Pie by Juliet McDaniel
The Guncle by Steven Rowley

Fiction:
Weyward by Emilia Hart
The Secret Life of Albert Entwistle by Matt Cain
The Bandit Queens by Parini Shroff
Every book by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Every book by Fredrik Backman

I guess I got a little carried away there but hopefully you find something that catches your interest in there!
RavenLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote