Professors: 12

View Points

Members

There are 827 users online including...
Stevendalo , Alexrut , natethegreat , maximllon , Kimothy

10 members
817 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > Floo Network (Extra Fun) > The Book Seekers (Book Club)

The Book Seekers (Book Club) If you love books like we love books, come on over and read with us.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 01:46 AM

Default 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak (Sa13+)

This thread was originally a Reading Challenge that Cassirin, Lissydove and cake.ninjak participated in.

SPOILERS are allowed in this discussion.

Summary from Goodreads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodreads
It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will be busier still.

By her brother's graveside, Liesel's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Gravedigger's Handbook, left behind there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordian-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.

But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up, and closed down.

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time.

Have you read The Book Thief? What did you think?

Continue the discussion below!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ministry
Blast-Ended Skrewt

The Sweetest Thing Lissy De Vil

I'm reading the other book right now, but I do have a request pending with the library for this one too.

... ETHICAL ... ORGANIZED ... ARTISTIC ...
Lissydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

Well, hurry up, bud! Mine just came in and I don't want to read it alone

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest
Cassirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ministry
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Mine's in, I'm shocked! It just needs picking up from the library.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ravenclaw
Kelpie

Big Tuna | Booger | Team Men | Chris's SS!BFAM | Jules says I'm RAD | #Superman | Dustbin

I will buy this eventually. I might not be able to read it at the same time as everyone else, but it'll happen!

So I was at Target the other day and happened to see this. Hooray for impulse buys! I'll start it soon.

Last edited by cake.ninjak; 01-15-2012 at 01:06 AM.
cake.ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ministry
Blast-Ended Skrewt

I started this yesterday (after I finished The Night Circus:A Novel). Am I too late to read with you, Mz Erin? Quiet night last night at work, I'm 100 pages in already. Surprisingly fast reading for the subject material. Fast for me anyway.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

No! Read with me. I'm only about 50 pages ahead of you.

Did you have any trouble adjusting to the writing style?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dark Force Defense League

MLE & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
TBD
Gryffindor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Zara H. Bunbury-Foster
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Bernadette O. Grantham
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
David O. Truebridge
Mysteries
Professor Pink | Mrs. Bruce Wayne | I'm on a Goat | Glitterpuff | Dumbledore's Defense Squad | BHB

I might re-read this just cuz. IT'S SO GOOD ERN/LISSY/KELVIN YOU WILL CRY.

Probably.

yeah, there's one thing about me that you should know________________________________

__________________________________________that I can't help from speaking my mind
BanaBatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ministry
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
No! Read with me. I'm only about 50 pages ahead of you.

Did you have any trouble adjusting to the writing style?
Yay! I left off around page 138 last night before I crashed. So tired the night after working. Anywho. Yes. At first I was unsure if I was going to like the writing style or even if I was gonna get into the book but I think I was starting Part One and all of a sudden I realized I was used to how it is being narrated. Next thing I knew after that, I was 100 pages in. Were you into it right away? How long for you to get used to it?

SPOILER!!: a ponder on book thievery
At this point she has only 'stolen' two books. One at the gravesite and the other from the bonfire. To *me* thief feels stronger then what is happening. She found the first but kept it while knowing who the owner is. I guess that is more stealing than the second is.... I say she saved that one. More like a 'Book Rescuer' then a Thief.

SPOILER!!: the mayor's wife
Even though she just showed Liesel her library and I know she will get to go back based on the description on the back of the book.... I still am unsure what to think about the fact she saw the girl take that book from the bonfire and death's warning that 'she (the mayor) was just waiting for the right moment.' For what? Sounds more ominous than showing her a library. Hm.

SPOILER!!: Rosa
I think it is hilarious how everyone is a filthy pig. And I really like her despite the verbal abuse and hidings. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanaBatGirl View Post
I might re-read this just cuz. IT'S SO GOOD ERN/LISSY/KELVIN YOU WILL CRY.

Probably.
Oh boy. I'm only worried about the crying part. Based on the narrator of the book and quite obviously the theme and setting of the book... yeah.

Yes, do read with us!

Old 01-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

I'm not much ahead of you. It's slow reading, and the book is too massive to take to work, so I'm not doing as much reading or as fast as I normally do. That's fine, though, because it means I'll stick with you and not rush.

SPOILER!!: Thievery
My impression is that it must be a bigger thing. Based on what we've seen, the language seems strong, but she has the name from Death in the bigger picture, right?

SPOILER!!: Mayor's Wife
Yeah, I agree... especially because Death does so much ominous foreshadowing. I already felt like I missed something in the stuff you're reading now that is big foreshadowing for what I'M reading right now. I should maybe go back and read that stuff again! Anyway. Foreshadowing.

SPOILER!!: Rosa
I like BOTH of her new 'parents' so much, and for different reasons. I mean, Rosa is HORRIFYING in some ways, but her caring is also so obvious, that all her slapping and cursing and terrible behavior sort of pales behind it.

SPOILER!!: Roro and the Crying
I figured it wouldn't have a happy ending, but I'm awfully intrigued by the stuff Death gives away. You definitely get pieces and parts of BIG STUFF to happen later throughout the earliest parts of the book, which either means the journey to get there is way more important than the actual ending OR that what you think is big isn't nearly as big as you think and there is BIGGER stuff.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

MLE & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
TBD
Gryffindor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Zara H. Bunbury-Foster
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Bernadette O. Grantham
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
David O. Truebridge
Mysteries
Professor Pink | Mrs. Bruce Wayne | I'm on a Goat | Glitterpuff | Dumbledore's Defense Squad | BHB

HEH.

SPOILER!!: no spoilers here, just responding to Ern/Lissy
Heh. Ya'll are spot on with everything, methinks, and I DO remember there being a lot of foreshadowing. So. Book "Rescuer" does not carry the necessary connotations that "Thief" does, and since what she is doing could be so riskyyyy during that time period.... yah, you'll see.

Does anybody else picture Death as the narrator like... like this version of Death in their head?

P.S. LOOOOOOOOVE Rosa. And her papa the painter. GuH he is my FAVORITE.

yeah, there's one thing about me that you should know________________________________

__________________________________________that I can't help from speaking my mind
Old 01-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ministry
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Just stopping in quickly as I am about to go out, but I'm just over 400 pages in. Yesterday wasn't a big read day. Work then tired. Anyway.

SPOILER!!: thievery
The term has become more deserved. Still a very complex situation with Mayor's wife. STILL not sure if there is something more sinister going to happen.

SPOILER!!: death and foreshadowing
He gave away a couple of biggies and I'm not sure if you are up to that yet, Erin so I hesitate to say what even in here. He did say he is not fond of suspense, that death. heh I think this way is almost worse. The anticipation of the event and then the heartbreak of it happening. I think it is the road to get there rather then the end that is the most important thing.

Roro - haha yes! I love The Family Guy's Death.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ravenclaw
Kelpie

Big Tuna | Booger | Team Men | Chris's SS!BFAM | Jules says I'm RAD | #Superman | Dustbin

I just started reading this. Only about 25 pages in. It definitely takes time to adjust to the narration, but I like it so far!

EDIT:

Okay so I'm a bit further into the book (not much), but I can tell I'm going to be taking quotes from this a lot. Two that have stuck out to me so far:

SPOILER!!: THE QUOTES
* * * AN OBSERVATION * * *
A pair of train guards.
A pair of grave diggers.
When it came down to it, one of them called the shots.
___________The other did what he was told.
The question is, what if the other is a lot more than one?

* * * A DEFINITION NOT FOUND * * *
IN THE DICTIONARY

Not leaving: an act of trust and love,
often deciphered by children.

Last edited by cake.ninjak; 01-22-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ministry
Blast-Ended Skrewt

I just finished minutes ago. Still recovering.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

I finished this afternoon. Earlier, I thought I might try to say something intelligent about things I thought/felt as I was reading, but then I actually got to the last few chapters and I'm very "..."

One thing I will say is that I enjoyed the fact that this book looks a historical period we generally tend to think we KNOW about, whether from history class or from reading other books, and makes you connect emotionally to it on a different level. I don't know that I've ever read a book set during WW2 from the perspective of a German citizen, specifically a child, and I think the war ends up being just as much a character as anyone else. I kind of felt this way after reading The Help, when I felt like intellectually I understood what the characters were going through before reading, but the book actually took me into the reality of what living that experience was like. I dunno if I'm making sense, but I just enjoyed that the author could do that for me.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Ravenclaw
Kelpie

I just finished. I want to go sit in a hole for the rest of my life now.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:36 AM   #17 (permalink)

MLE & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
TBD
Gryffindor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Zara H. Bunbury-Foster
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Bernadette O. Grantham
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
David O. Truebridge
Mysteries
Default This is belated, but yeah.

So I'm teaching Elie Wiesel's memoir Night right now and since it's a shorter non-fiction book, I'm having my students also read a WWII/Holocaust FICTION book too.

Three of them are reading The Book Thief, which is a book I love. Read it twice. Two of the three kids reading it love it and have almost finished it; one of them I can't even get to learn Liesel's name. He keeps skipping around and not appreciating it.

GRR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
I finished this afternoon. Earlier, I thought I might try to say something intelligent about things I thought/felt as I was reading, but then I actually got to the last few chapters and I'm very "..."

One thing I will say is that I enjoyed the fact that this book looks a historical period we generally tend to think we KNOW about, whether from history class or from reading other books, and makes you connect emotionally to it on a different level. I don't know that I've ever read a book set during WW2 from the perspective of a German citizen, specifically a child, and I think the war ends up being just as much a character as anyone else. I kind of felt this way after reading The Help, when I felt like intellectually I understood what the characters were going through before reading, but the book actually took me into the reality of what living that experience was like. I dunno if I'm making sense, but I just enjoyed that the author could do that for me.
You should read Germany Boy by Wolfgang W.E. Samuel. We read that in my 9th grade World History class back in 2004/2005. It's pretty good. I read it twice; once the summer before, and once during class and even my brother, who doesn't read, read it and liked it and recommended I read it.

It's a memoir like Night, but it's told from the perspective of a German child citizen, someone similar to Liesel but even more displaced and homeless due to the war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake.ninjak View Post

I hope you guys enjoyed The Book Thief, as sad as it is. It's still a gem.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hungarian Horntail

Hogwarts RPG Name:
November {Noe} Franze
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Grayson {Noel} Corner
Brain Twin | MASTAH ASHURRII | Reisdent PokeNerd | Digifangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake.ninjak View Post
I was just cruising over this thread because one of my guiltiest pleasures is watching people start The Book Thief and fall in love and the spiral that follows through reading SO, YOU KNOW

This gave me an awful gleeful smile, Kelvin.

Mostly cos every time I think about The Book Thief, I crawl back to that hole.

TUNE IN! POTTERWATCH && BOOKCLUB
Hermione_loves_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Formerly: Tegz

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12
lives in a hobbit hole || Ern and Touz's Nuzzle || roflysst || looking at a seed packet

Seeing this thread and rewatching the movie recently makes me want to actually.... read teh book. Because honest: I haven't read it all the way. I've read pieces, because I worked in a bookstore and I grabbed it a few times on breaks, but then uni happened and other thiiiiings. AND I GUESS I'm posting here as a promise to myself to read it properly.

love is like a letter wrote :: and life is like an envelope
be careful who you give it to :: they might not give it back to you
TeafortheSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

DoM & DIMC

Bicorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jade Archer de Leon
Slytherin
First Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Olive Gracae-Ryans
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Clara Rider (née Wilde)
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Riley Archer de Leon
Mysteries
Little Fox | ½ of Lauralie | Ravenclaw with a Hufflepuff heart and a Gryffindor soul | #HouseNATARIANA

I've watched the film approximately 1736374 times, but I only got around to reading The Book Thief for the first time last year.

I cried watching the film. I cried reading the book. I WAS TEARS.

You should definitely, definitely read it soon, Tegan!

You are Honey!
natekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:43 AM   #21 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Report back, Tegan!

Old 05-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

Swedish Short-Snout

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Alex Black
First Year
SS Featured Writer Lovely Lady

I have read it once but have plans to read it again so I “get” everything.
Slytherin Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
Gladrags Mod

DMLE
Acromantula

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Bramble "Bram" Wyatt Lennox
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Juno Star Darcy Kennedy
Law Enforcement
ThunderPUFF | Whoodley | MRD&LKD | Graphics Queen | Tristalen | Mrs. A | Hunny Bun

I have read it but haven't watched the movie yet. But the book is amazing and to quote Natalie, "I WAS TEARS."

Tegz you def have to read it all the way! Such an amazing story!

____________________________________________ I know that you're afraid to...

...let all the dark escape you.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Snidget

This book starts off with an interest concept of making statements that have been oft repeated and then giving the narrators take on those statements. It's a great break from reality.
DeanThomassSpectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #25 (permalink)
WWW & Potterdom Mod
Newbie Mod

DMLE & DIMC
Wrackspurt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Dhruv Vihaan Khanna
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aryan Atreyu-Rehman
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nova Leigh Paton
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Brody Hawthorne-Melo
International Cooperation

x12 x12
~ Mrs. Steve Harrington ~ It be like that sometimes.

This book broke my heart. The most heartbreaking thing for me was Rudy's fate. I really love him - such a good friend. Aside from that, I'm glad to have an insight of the war that happened. That... just hurt, man; all the happenings of that time. But like our narrator, even I feel haunted by humans.

The ones in books who are as perfect as they can be.🌺🌺🌺
FearlessLeader19 is offline   Reply With Quote