FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 948 users online including...
Stevendalo , Holmesian Feline , Svetldnl

4 members
944 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmaster: Malachi Trent's Reign > Term 59: September - December 2021

Term 59: September - December 2021 Term Fifty-Nine: The Strange Plant in Greenhouse Six (Sept 2105 - June 2106)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2020, 10:29 AM

Default Office of Professor Carton

Upon entering Professor Carton’s office, it’s easy to see that the space is every bit as organized and practical as the man himself. The walls are painted a dark, non-distracting shade of gray, and a large bookshelf takes up most of the back wall. The bookshelf is home to many textbooks on transfiguration application and theory, as well as the odd novel or two. Ask nicely, and the professor might let you borrow one!

A simple wooden desk sits in the middle of the room, complete with lots of drawers for quills, parchment, and other essential supplies. Behind the desk is a dark red leather chair where the professor can usually be found; two smaller chairs of the same color sit in front of the desk for visitors’ use. The top of the desk is mostly barren, except for a block calendar, silver inkwell, and two framed photos: one of Professor Carton with his late wife, the other of their daughter.

The most interesting feature on the desk is undoubtedly the miniature vanishing cabinet. This model was built by Professor Carton himself and, like everything else in the office, is fully functional. It is linked with an identical model sitting on a small table outside the office. Should you wish to speak to Professor Carton, simply fill out the form below, place it in the vanishing cabinet model with the door closed, and knock on the office door. Please note that only forms, notes, and small gifts for the professor should be placed in the cabinet! Abuse of this privilege by transporting inappropriate items (e.g. rude notes, dungbombs, animals, etc.) will result in the cabinet’s removal.

SPOILER!!: Form

Name:
Year:
House:
Reason for visit:

OOC: There is no waiting area for this thread. Please post your character knocking on Norman’s door, and we’ll be with you soon!
Old 10-20-2021, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals
Anashti l Brat Pack l Sally & Dr. Finklestein

... He wasn't sure if this would be considered an acceptable reason to visit his Head of House, since really it wasn't any of his business, but Evan had been concerned that the man had seemed so melancholic at their decorating lesson. Evan wasn't sure if he had family to celebrate the holidays with or anything, as he didn't usually make it common to take notice of his Professor's personal lives, but... holidays were hard if no one was around. So with a thought that that could be a problem for his Head of House, who he really did like and respect, he'd decided to check in and bring at least a small bag of sweets as a gift.

Grabbing a form, the Ravenclaw stared at it for a moment trying to figure out exactly how to answer the questions. Clearly some were easy... but what to put for the reason for visit? He supposed honesty was best, so with that in mind he quickly scrawled his answers and placed it into the mini cabinet, along with a small bag of sherbet drops - giving a small knock - and then remained standing there while he waited to see if he could be admitted.

SPOILER!!: form
Name: Evan Nam
Year: Fourth
House: Ravenclaw
Reason for visit: Personal Question + Gift

Let them point and laugh at who we are, it's you and me here dancing from the start
Old 10-27-2021, 03:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Default SO sorry for the delay! Crazy week irl >_<
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelliephone View Post
... He wasn't sure if this would be considered an acceptable reason to visit his Head of House, since really it wasn't any of his business, but Evan had been concerned that the man had seemed so melancholic at their decorating lesson. Evan wasn't sure if he had family to celebrate the holidays with or anything, as he didn't usually make it common to take notice of his Professor's personal lives, but... holidays were hard if no one was around. So with a thought that that could be a problem for his Head of House, who he really did like and respect, he'd decided to check in and bring at least a small bag of sweets as a gift.

Grabbing a form, the Ravenclaw stared at it for a moment trying to figure out exactly how to answer the questions. Clearly some were easy... but what to put for the reason for visit? He supposed honesty was best, so with that in mind he quickly scrawled his answers and placed it into the mini cabinet, along with a small bag of sherbet drops - giving a small knock - and then remained standing there while he waited to see if he could be admitted.

SPOILER!!: form
Name: Evan Nam
Year: Fourth
House: Ravenclaw
Reason for visit: Personal Question + Gift
That lesson was a disaster! Norman thought as he sat at his desk. It was no fault of the students’ own. They had made great progress in that lesson. He was the disaster - or more accurately, his emotions about his late wife that always seemed to rear their ugly head at the holidays. He sat, his eyes glued to the piece of parchment on the desk in front of him, furiously writing a letter to his daughter when he heard the knock at the door. He set down his quill and hastily placed the letter inside the top drawer of his desk.

As he looked up to check the miniature cabinet on his desk, his eyes landed on the photo of himself with his late wife. It made him sick to look at it! He turned the frame around so that the picture faced away from him before opening the cabinet door and removing the form inside. His aquamarine eyes scanned the form. Hmm… personal question? He wondered what that could be! He wasn’t sure what was more unexpected, that or the gift. At any rate, he opened the door with a flick of his wand. “Come in, Mr. Nam,” he said, looking to the now open door.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...
Old 10-28-2021, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals
Default No worries!!

The wait for Professor's to invite in never seemed to be long whenever Evan needed to seek one of them out. And this visit to Professor Carton was no different than the others. He'd just replaced his quill when he could hear the invitation and the door swung open. Evan gave a small smile and stepped through the now open door way.

The first thing he noticed upon stepping in, was there was a photo facing towards the door and not towards where Professor Carton sat at his desk. It seemed to be him smiling, perhaps with a partner or spouse, but it was puzzling to see it as a greeting instead of towards the Professor. But to each their own. Moving eyes back up from the photo, he adjusted his bag as he stepped towards the desk. "Hello, sir. Happy Holidays."

Let them point and laugh at who we are, it's you and me here dancing from the start
Old 11-03-2021, 03:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Quote:
The wait for Professor's to invite in never seemed to be long whenever Evan needed to seek one of them out. And this visit to Professor Carton was no different than the others. He'd just replaced his quill when he could hear the invitation and the door swung open. Evan gave a small smile and stepped through the now open door way.

The first thing he noticed upon stepping in, was there was a photo facing towards the door and not towards where Professor Carton sat at his desk. It seemed to be him smiling, perhaps with a partner or spouse, but it was puzzling to see it as a greeting instead of towards the Professor. But to each their own. Moving eyes back up from the photo, he adjusted his bag as he stepped towards the desk. "Hello, sir. Happy Holidays."
Norman returned Nam’s smile with a slight, albeit forced, one of his own. As his eyes followed the boy into the room, he caught him looking at the photo facing outward on the desk. He braced for the inevitable question about the woman in the photo that he was sure to follow, but to his surprise, it didn’t happen. Not yet, at least. He blinked, jerked out of his thoughts as the boy spoke. What did he say? He was so distracted by the thought of having to explain what happened to his wife that it took him a moment to register. “Happy holidays to you as well, Mr. Nam,” he replied.

His eyes darted from Nam’s face to the chairs in front of the desk and back. “Do sit down,” he said, motioning toward the chairs. He sat back in his own chair, absentmindedly twirling the silver wedding band on his left ring finger as he waited for the boy to get settled. “What was it you wanted to ask me?” he asked, though he already had a pretty strong suspicion what it was.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...
Old 11-05-2021, 03:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMadamMalfoy View Post

Norman returned Nam’s smile with a slight, albeit forced, one of his own. As his eyes followed the boy into the room, he caught him looking at the photo facing outward on the desk. He braced for the inevitable question about the woman in the photo that he was sure to follow, but to his surprise, it didn’t happen. Not yet, at least. He blinked, jerked out of his thoughts as the boy spoke. What did he say? He was so distracted by the thought of having to explain what happened to his wife that it took him a moment to register. “Happy holidays to you as well, Mr. Nam,” he replied.

His eyes darted from Nam’s face to the chairs in front of the desk and back. “Do sit down,” he said, motioning toward the chairs. He sat back in his own chair, absentmindedly twirling the silver wedding band on his left ring finger as he waited for the boy to get settled. “What was it you wanted to ask me?” he asked, though he already had a pretty strong suspicion what it was.
To say he wasn't curious about the photo would have been a lie, but frankly Evan so little liked to talk about most things in his life or the people who were there - or had been, as who knew whenever that was the case - it just didn't feel polite to inquire about the photo. So casting one last glance at it, he focused then instead of taking an offered seat.

"Thank you, sir." It was much more awkward now that he'd sat down, because he really did just feel the need to check in. There had been such a difference in the Professor's mood, and while there wasn't anything wrong with that as they were human, it didn't mean they didn't still need someone to care sometime right? "Well, it's really not my business but... you seemed down in the last lesson, so I just wanted to stop by and inquire as to your health, sir. Are you alright?"

Old 11-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement

Quote:
To say he wasn't curious about the photo would have been a lie, but frankly Evan so little liked to talk about most things in his life or the people who were there - or had been, as who knew whenever that was the case - it just didn't feel polite to inquire about the photo. So casting one last glance at it, he focused then instead of taking an offered seat.*

"Thank you, sir." It was much more awkward now that he'd sat down, because he really did just feel the need to check in. There had been such a difference in the Professor's mood, and while there wasn't anything wrong with that as they were human, it didn't mean they didn't still need someone to care sometime right? "Well, it's really not my business but... you seemed down in the last lesson, so I just wanted to stop by and inquire as to your health, sir. Are you alright?"
Norman blinked, slightly taken aback by Nam’s question. It wasn’t the question itself that was surprising; no, he saw it coming a mile away. The part that surprised him was the fact that the boy had cared to ask… that and that he had picked up on the change in his emotions. Was it really that obvious? He had always prided himself on his ability to keep his emotions hidden. Was he not as good at it as he thought? More importantly, if Nam had noticed his emotional state, how many others had as well?

His first instinct was to brush off the question and act as if nothing was wrong, just as he'd always done when people asked about his well-being. Then his eyes landed on the picture of his daughter. Normandie was always telling him he should let more people in. For once, he was going to take her advice. "I'll be alright," he finally replied. And it wasn't a lie. He'd gone through the same emotions every holiday season for years and survived; this year would be no different.

"I just…" his voice trailed off as he absentmindedly twirled his wedding ring. How should he finish that sentence? "...don't like the holidays is all."

Old 11-15-2021, 04:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals

Perhaps it was just that they were all more perceptive now that they'd gone through such intense emotions themselves that anyone had noticed perceptive Carton was feeling off. Evan didn't think the youngest years had connected anything - but then again, they also had yet to see the importance of all the empathy lessons from the term previous.

He supposed he expected Carton to brush off the question - not that the fact it wasn't was not welcomed, just a surprise. His answer was entirely relatable. Were any of them yet alright? And not just from the war and the prior things that had happened before the fighting. But everyone had personal things as well. He'd never really stopped to think about how true that was for the Professor's as well. But seemed like Professor Carton had something that bothered him as well. By the way the ring was twisting on the man's finger too... he could only imagine he'd experienced a loss. "That's understandable. Holidays can either be really fun and filled or ... lonely." He'd not experienced loss in the traditional sense... but being the kid he still was, he'd managed to isolate from his parents.

And then because the only way he knew how to offer comfort was through candy, the Ravenclaw pulled out a chocolate from his bag as well and set it on his Professor's desk. "I hope the holidays go quickly for you, sir."

Old 11-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement

Quote:
Perhaps it was just that they were all more perceptive now that they'd gone through such intense emotions themselves that anyone had noticed perceptive Carton was feeling off. Evan didn't think the youngest years had connected anything - but then again, they also had yet to see the importance of all the empathy lessons from the term previous.

He supposed he expected Carton to brush off the question - not that the fact it wasn't was not welcomed, just a surprise. His answer was entirely relatable. Were any of them yet alright? And not just from the war and the prior things that had happened before the fighting. But everyone had personal things as well. He'd never really stopped to think about how true that was for the Professor's as well. But seemed like Professor Carton had something that bothered him as well. By the way the ring was twisting on the man's finger too... he could only imagine he'd experienced a loss. "That's understandable. Holidays can either be really fun and filled or ... lonely." He'd not experienced loss in the traditional sense... but being the kid he still was, he'd managed to isolate from his parents.

And then because the only way he knew how to offer comfort was through candy, the Ravenclaw pulled out a chocolate from his bag as well and set it on his Professor's desk. "I hope the holidays go quickly for you, sir."
Still absentmindedly twirling his ring, Norman ventured a glance at Nam. His aquamarine eyes studied the boy’s face for a moment, as if trying to read his mind. Had he known what he was thinking in that moment, he would’ve been impressed with the young Ravenclaw’s capacity for insight and empathy, but he was no legilimens. All he could do was guess. His eyes flicked toward the outward-facing photo, and a thought occurred to him.

“I expect you’re curious about that photo,” he said. Merlin’s beard, what was he doing? He must be out of his mind! Before he could talk himself out of it, he pressed on, “All you need to know is that she was my wife; she died a long time ago…” He had no idea why he’d said that! He hardly ever talked about his past when prompted, let alone volunteering that information. After all this time, it seemed the battle-hardened ex- MACUSA auror was going soft.

His slightly wistful expression turned to a smile at the sight of the chocolate, and he suddenly had to stifle a chuckle. “Sorry,” he said, lest the boy should think he was laughing at him. “It’s just that reminded me of something.” Or someone, in this case. That candy gift seemed exactly like something his daughter would do! She was always giving him candy to cheer him up. Until now, he thought that was just a Normandie thing, but maybe it was a teenager thing? “Thank you, Mr. Nam,” he said, still smiling, “for the chocolate and the well wishes.”

Old 11-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMadamMalfoy View Post

Still absentmindedly twirling his ring, Norman ventured a glance at Nam. His aquamarine eyes studied the boy’s face for a moment, as if trying to read his mind. Had he known what he was thinking in that moment, he would’ve been impressed with the young Ravenclaw’s capacity for insight and empathy, but he was no legilimens. All he could do was guess. His eyes flicked toward the outward-facing photo, and a thought occurred to him.

“I expect you’re curious about that photo,” he said. Merlin’s beard, what was he doing? He must be out of his mind! Before he could talk himself out of it, he pressed on, “All you need to know is that she was my wife; she died a long time ago…” He had no idea why he’d said that! He hardly ever talked about his past when prompted, let alone volunteering that information. After all this time, it seemed the battle-hardened ex- MACUSA auror was going soft.

His slightly wistful expression turned to a smile at the sight of the chocolate, and he suddenly had to stifle a chuckle. “Sorry,” he said, lest the boy should think he was laughing at him. “It’s just that reminded me of something.” Or someone, in this case. That candy gift seemed exactly like something his daughter would do! She was always giving him candy to cheer him up. Until now, he thought that was just a Normandie thing, but maybe it was a teenager thing? “Thank you, Mr. Nam,” he said, still smiling, “for the chocolate and the well wishes.”
Momentarily lost in thought, Evan hadn't even noticed he was being studied. Besides, his eyes had also again drifted to the photo on the Professor's desk. He was even more surprised when he heard Professor Carton commenting on it. Losing someone so precious... he could only imagine that was what made this time so difficult for his head of house. Evan thought about asking if he had any other family, but decided against it, instead settling on - "You looked very happy together. And she's very pretty." He could have offered condolences for his loss, but he thought that sounded like empty words in these situations, so he opted against.

Glancing at his Professor after chocolate had been presented, Evan just smiled in return and shook his head at the apology. He didn't mind, even if the Professor had been laughing at him. "It's alright, sir." Having established really what he had come to do, Evan stood from his seat in order to make his way back towards the door. "You're welcome, Professor. I'll see you in the next Transfiguration lesson."