sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1029 users online including...
Stevendalo , ClarazkaVaste , Sherinkaseame , KennethsSiz

7 members
1022 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmaster Wilber Winterbottom's Reign > Term 64: May - August 2023

Term 64: May - August 2023 Term Sixty-Four: The Future Really Makes You Sphinx (Sept 2110 - June 2111)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2023, 09:30 PM

Default Professor DeVries' Cabin Office

Near the greenhouses, tucked away beneath some trees, stands Professor DeVries' cozy little cabin office. It reminds him of the vacation cabin his mother's family had had in Finland, and that makes him happy. Here he has plenty of room to put all his books and journals and his large, natural wood desk, on which is a new hybrid plant given to him last year by a graduating student.

Professor DeVries is not nearly as intimidating as he looks, so feel free to knock on the door and come in if you need something (just don't damage the plants).
Old 05-09-2023, 05:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wizarding World RPG Admin
Minister for Magic

DoM & MO

Alley Proprietor
Romanian Longhorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mitsuki Rasting
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Anna Walles
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Charles Hollingberry
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Airey Flamsteed
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Zachaël Lufkin
Owl Post

x12 x12
astronomizzle ♧ gryffinDORK | & the rest is drag ♣ #badluckDerf

Anna just KNEW that she had to give her most favorite head of house a visit sooner rather than later once she saw the delightful display in the common room their first night back in the castle. The Green Thumb Friendly Giant was so compassionate and she really wanted to do better in the subject of Herbology this term. It was just hard to focus sometimes, you know? Especially with all the colorful variety of vegetation surrounding them every single lesson. She did okay with the practical aspect of the subject. It was easy to pay attention to actions when the livelihood of your actions depended on it! It was the...written portion of things that did not go over so well.

Anyway, Anna was not popping by to talk about her grades nor academic performance. She supposed she could talk about those things if he asked, but she was kind of hoping he wouldn't ask.

Curls almost as springy as her step, the Hufflepuffle came to a sudden stop just in front of the man's office door (her nose neaaaaaaaaaarly knocking itself against the wood) and knocked entirely too many times than was necessary - but it also had been necessary to knock so many times to cover the first couple of bars of the chorus of the song she was currently infatuated with.

When youre stuck in a moment and your spark has been stolen .................................................. ...........
this is our time to own it, so own it.....................................
baby we were born with fire and gold in our eyes
Old 05-25-2023, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries
Default Anna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpinkpixie View Post

Curls almost as springy as her step, the Hufflepuffle came to a sudden stop just in front of the man's office door (her nose neaaaaaaaaaarly knocking itself against the wood) and knocked entirely too many times than was necessary - but it also had been necessary to knock so many times to cover the first couple of bars of the chorus of the song she was currently infatuated with.
Tapio had been way out in the back of the farthest greenhouse when he thought he heard a knocking in the distance. But he was right in the middle of potting a Bouncing Bulb (and you can't just stop in the middle of that, or you'll have it bouncing all over the greenhouse). Finishing as soon as possible, he left Greenhouse One and walked as fast as he could (which, with his long legs, was pretty fast) toward his office, wiping his hands as he went.

As he approached, he saw that there was indeed a student waiting for him. One of his own Hufflepuffs, as a matter of fact. [b]"Miss Walles, I am so sorry to have kept you waiting. Please, come in, come in,"[b/] he said as he waved his wand at the door and muttered "Finite Incantatum" under his breath. The tall door swung open and he gestured for the girl to go inside.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Minister for Magic

DoM & MO

Alley Proprietor
Romanian Longhorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mitsuki Rasting
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Anna Walles
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Charles Hollingberry
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Airey Flamsteed
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Zachaël Lufkin
Owl Post

x12 x12
Default <333

She had not been anticipating the professor to come lumbering up from behind her and thus jumped a bit in surprise and with a somewhat shrill squeak as well. The shock quickly washed from her face when she looked (up) at the man and offered him a bright beaming smile. "That's okay, professor. I am sure you are SUPER busy seeing as you are not just a professor but you are also in charge of all the flora and also have the library to look after and also all us Hufflepuffles and the common room and everything. With all that you do, I can easily afford a couple minutes of waiting. Besides, it's a really nice day out!" The man did look a bit exasperated though - as in a little tired - so he must have been doing something quite rigorous in the greenhouses or elsewhere. Degnoming, maybe? That always had her step dad tired when they invaded the back garden. She wasn't sure what to think of the task in all honestly and it felt rather inhumane and just not nice to spin them round by the beard and then toss them.

"Thank you," she curtseyed as he opened the door to his cabin and allowed her to step inside first. Which she did and at a very enthusiastic skip at that. "Something to drink, professor? I am sure you are parched from all the hard work you do and staying up late finishing those amazing treats in the common room. I know how to make a kettle for tea and coffee and hot chocolate if you just point me towards the stove." Assume she could reach it considering she felt like he had to have customized his home to accommodate his height. She probably looked more like a goblin standing beside him.

When youre stuck in a moment and your spark has been stolen .................................................. ...........
Old 06-01-2023, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Tapio looked down at his student in bemusement. He had been about to offer the girl some refreshments, as he normally did, and was a bit taken aback at her offer to make him a drink. Then he smiled--he certainly didn't want to discourage such kind behavior, and besides, he was a bit thirsty.

"Well, yes, thank you, I could use a cup of tea. I was potting some Bouncing Bulbs and had one get away from me. They're rather hard to catch, you know, and you have to get them right away or they'll smash up everything." Tapio walked over to a corner of the room, where he had some tea things sitting on a quite ordinary-sized table. In fact, the only really oversized furniture in the room was Tapio's prized desk and the large, comfy, cushioned wooden chair that stood behind it. "Can you manage a fire magically? Or shall I get out my matches?" Tapio went on, setting out the kettle and the little iron trivet that went under it to keep the fire from scorching.

"Let me know if you can't find anything. Meanwhile, let me see..." Tapio was by now digging around in the bottom drawer of his large desk. "Ah, yes, here it is!" And he brought out a sealed container from the drawers depths and set it on his desktop, looking immensely pleased to have found it.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries
Default Minerva Durand job fair meeting with Tapio

Tapio was just finishing cleaning up his office after his early afternoon coffee in preparation for his next job fair meeting, this time with Miss Durand. He had made some effort to straighten things up nicely in order to make a professional appearance, which was one of the things he wanted to stress for job interviews. He didn't feel it would do to say one thing and do another; students noticed that sort of thing.

[OOC: This is a new rp on a different day from the visit from Anna.]
Old 06-05-2023, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals
Default Job Fair Meeting!
Anashti l Brat Pack l Sally & Dr. Finklestein

While she knew this was a fairly informal meeting with a Professor to discuss her future options, Mouse was still keen to treat it as much of a practice run for whatever was held in store for the job fair later on in the term. So while she had considered going down just in her robes following her previous class, she'd decided to change into something more interview attire and stole into a bathroom to do a quick change into a longer gray pencil skirt and a light blue button up, with the sleeves cuffed mid arm. It wasn't formal formal, but she thought it rather fit the whole 'business casual' idea.

She made sure to reach Professor DeVries cabin early as well, though only by 5 minutes in order to maintain the politeness of not TOO early. Raising her hand, she rapped on the door before waiting to be permitted entry.

Let them point and laugh at who we are, it's you and me here dancing from the start
Old 06-05-2023, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries
Default Job fair meeting

Tapio had finished not a moment too soon when he heard a business-like sounding rapping on his door. Ah, Miss Durand was a polite five minutes early! A good start.

He walked over and opened the door to find the young Ravenclaw dressed to impress in full business attire. She was certainly taking this interview seriously. He only hoped his full teaching robes were formal enough to match her efforts (at least he didn't have dirt on anything, he had checked quite carefully for this beforehand).

"Good afternoon, Miss Durand, won't you come in and have a seat? May I offer you some tea or coffee? Or water?" That how most of Tapio's job interviews had started, as far as he could remember, so if this was the way they were going with this, he was ready. He stood aside and gestured to one of the chairs in front of his desk, which were reassuringly normal-sized (unlike Tapio's own desk chair, which he'd had custom-made for his large frame).
Old 06-06-2023, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Minister for Magic

DoM & MO

Alley Proprietor
Romanian Longhorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mitsuki Rasting
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Anna Walles
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Charles Hollingberry
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Airey Flamsteed
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Zachaël Lufkin
Owl Post

x12 x12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlice View Post
Tapio looked down at his student in bemusement. He had been about to offer the girl some refreshments, as he normally did, and was a bit taken aback at her offer to make him a drink. Then he smiled--he certainly didn't want to discourage such kind behavior, and besides, he was a bit thirsty.

"Well, yes, thank you, I could use a cup of tea. I was potting some Bouncing Bulbs and had one get away from me. They're rather hard to catch, you know, and you have to get them right away or they'll smash up everything." Tapio walked over to a corner of the room, where he had some tea things sitting on a quite ordinary-sized table. In fact, the only really oversized furniture in the room was Tapio's prized desk and the large, comfy, cushioned wooden chair that stood behind it. "Can you manage a fire magically? Or shall I get out my matches?" Tapio went on, setting out the kettle and the little iron trivet that went under it to keep the fire from scorching.

"Let me know if you can't find anything. Meanwhile, let me see..." Tapio was by now digging around in the bottom drawer of his large desk. "Ah, yes, here it is!" And he brought out a sealed container from the drawers depths and set it on his desktop, looking immensely pleased to have found it.
The third year's eyes lit up in delight. It felt SO good to be able to do something for someone who did SO much for you - even if it was something as simple as tea. Or, well, maybe it wasn't as simple as initially intended because she wasn't all the confident with her ability to create fire with her wand and her luck with matches wasn't all that great either. They just kept breaking! "I...am not very confident with my magic and I would really rather not cause more distress by setting fire to your cabin," she replied honestly while playing with and tugging on her fingers. Matches...well...maybe she could give those another try. "How do you catch a bouncing bulb? With...a net? Or...do you have to have really good aim with Immobulus?"

Anna wasn't too worried about not finding things - if you looked everywhere you could then you would find what you were looking for eventually! - and found the kettle quite easily. Kettle in hand, both hands, it became apparent that it would be more of an issue reaching things. She was for sure going to need a little stool or something to deal with filling up the kettle with water. Sure, she could try conjuring water but she found that magical water just did not taste as nice as real water. "What did you find, professor?"

And, eventually, she would remember the little gift bag she had brought with her and had previously left somewhere near the door...ish...once she had been welcomed into his cabin.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
"I...am not very confident with my magic and I would really rather not cause more distress by setting fire to your cabin," she replied honestly while playing with and tugging on her fingers. Matches...well...maybe she could give those another try. "How do you catch a bouncing bulb? With...a net? Or...do you have to have really good aim with Immobulus?"
"No," said Tapio quickly, looking up. "I don't want my cabin set on fire, either; thank you for your caution. Hmm, let's see..." Tapio set the container on his desk and walked over to her, looking around and thinking. "You know, why don't I start the fire, while you get the tea things together. Everything you need should be in one of these drawers here" And he reached down and pulled open a storage drawer that was nested under the front of the table. There were several other drawers opening out to either side, and the entire table was covered in beautiful marquetry and looked entirely too delicate to belong to such a large man.

Meanwhile, Tapio had taken a padded trivet from the drawer, and then he pulled a square, metal box off of one of the nearby shelves and set it on top. The box looks very like a sterno stove, but Tapio lit a small flame in it with his wand. "There!" he said in a pleased voice, looking over at Anna to share in the pleasure. "You can put the kettle right on there; it will whistle when it's ready."

Quote:
"How do you catch a bouncing bulb? With...a net? Or...do you have to have really good aim with Immobulus?"
"Ah, yes," said Tapio ruefully. "Well, it's best if you don't let them get away from you in the first place. But if they do, you have to catch them right away before they damage things. And Immobulus won't work on them at all. Some people have been known to use a net, I believe, and others take a heavy blanket or dropcloth and kind of drop it over them and then try to press them down, cloth and all, with their hands. But I've learned to just catch them with my hands, though it takes a bit of doing. It helps if you have rather large hands." Tapio looked down at his and realized he should clean them a bit more before doing any more tea tasks.

Quote:
"What did you find, professor?"
"Oh, yes!" Tapio went back over to his desk, picked up the container, and pulled off the lid, holding it out for Anna to see inside, where there were a quantity of little cookies. "Podvodnice! Cookies from Czechia! My wife sent them to me--she's been working on a project there this autumn, and by now the Christmas cookies are out in all the shops. They're usually made in the shapes of moons and hearts and circles and things, but Isla like to make hers in the shape of animals. She's a magizoologist, you know." Tapio started to take some of the cookies out and lay them on a napkin, but then remembered his hands, so he set the container over on the tea table and turned away to cast Scourfigy' on his hands.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Minister for Magic

DoM & MO

Alley Proprietor
Romanian Longhorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mitsuki Rasting
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Anna Walles
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Charles Hollingberry
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Airey Flamsteed
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Zachaël Lufkin
Owl Post

x12 x12

Anna felt just the tiniest tinge of embarrassment with how quickly Professor Devries' no came, but also not so embarrassed at all since she was in complete agreement with him about not wanting his cabin set on fire. Perhaps this could be just the motivation she needed to get better at the spell, being able to make tea for her Head of House! "Woooooooooooow," the third hummed. "You're so fancy, professor!" With a little more pep back in her step, Anna quickly gathered some cups and took a moment to consider all the tea options before picking two that had labels in a kind of raspberry red color that she thought was really pretty. Setting all that in place and bringing the kettle over as instructed, Anna wasn't really sure what she was looking at but he looked pleased and therefore she was pleased too. "I really like the whistle of a kettle. Kind of like the kettle is super excited about making tea too."

Anna had only just flopped into a chair to wait for said whistle when she was bouncing right back up like a Bouncing Bulb. "OH! I TOTALLY FORGOT!" she chirped and then dashed around the chair and over towards the door until she found the little gift bag she had brought with her - she hadn't meant to bolt off like that while he was answering her question but she was actually listening too! "That kind of sounds like what you do when you're trying to catch a feral...and you drop a towel or blanket over them." She had tried this once or twice with some stray cats and kittens in the neighbor hood. She hadn't been allowed to keep any of them though - her dad had been concerned with disease or something. "My hands are really small though...so I probably would have a hard time catching them with my hands, but I could do okay with a net or blanket maybe...buuuuuuuuuuuut..." she hummed as she not nonchalantly at all stepped around the chair and presented him with one of her goodie bags. "I don't think you'll have any problems catching this...not that I am going to throw it at you. I was just trying to be clever." She hopped over closer to him and offering the bag to him properly. "I wanted to give you this as a thank you for leaving everyone such a pretty surprise in the common room our first night. I made a bunch of these over the summer to give to the first years sorted into Hufflepuffle." And, well, purchasing the goodies was why she had next to none of her textbooks for the term.

No big deal though, right? She had lots of friends who were more than willing to share with her when she remembered to ask.

"Ooooooh...they look so delicate! Kind of remind me on this one kind of lemon cookie that we pick up from the market sometime...but I don't think those are called Pod...vod..nice." And then what he was saying caught up with her a bit more. "Your wife made these and sent them to you? That is so cute and romantic!" Did Anna know his wife was a magizoologist? Probably...but she had forgotten if she had known. "I'm sure she misses you loads while you're here at Hogwarts. It is really kind of her to lend you to us."

Old 06-11-2023, 05:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals
Default Job fair meeting!

Quote:
Tapio had finished not a moment too soon when he heard a business-like sounding rapping on his door. Ah, Miss Durand was a polite five minutes early! A good start.

He walked over and opened the door to find the young Ravenclaw dressed to impress in full business attire. She was certainly taking this interview seriously. He only hoped his full teaching robes were formal enough to match her efforts (at least he didn't have dirt on anything, he had checked quite carefully for this beforehand).

"Good afternoon, Miss Durand, won't you come in and have a seat? May I offer you some tea or coffee? Or water?" That how most of Tapio's job interviews had started, as far as he could remember, so if this was the way they were going with this, he was ready. He stood aside and gestured to one of the chairs in front of his desk, which were reassuringly normal-sized (unlike Tapio's own desk chair, which he'd had custom-made for his large frame).
When the door opened, she offered Professor DeVries a polite smile. "Good afternoon, Professor DeVries!" She replied politely, resisting the urge to curtsy like some of her Professors back at Beauxbatons often preferred. There was some things as too much. "Thank you, sir." She instead settled on in response to his offer, letting herself in and picking one of the spots to perch in.

At the question of a refreshment, she considered for a moment trying to decide if it would be rude to accept the offer - but deciding ultimately it might give off an air of comfort and confidence if she seemed at ease enough to do so. "A water please, if you don't mind sir." She believed she remembered her Mum saying once too a refreshment gave more time to think over a question without looking too obviously at a loss. Not that she was sure she was going to need that since, despite how she looked, she was pretty sure this was more conversation on where she could go from here rather than an actual mock interview but... it still didn't hurt to practice her skills. Maybe at the end she could ask Professor what she could do differently.

Let them point and laugh at who we are, it's you and me here dancing from the start
Old 06-17-2023, 10:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries
Default Job fair interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelliephone View Post
"A water please, if you don't mind sir." She believed she remembered her Mum saying once too a refreshment gave more time to think over a question without looking too obviously at a loss. Not that she was sure she was going to need that since, despite how she looked, she was pretty sure this was more conversation on where she could go from here rather than an actual mock interview but... it still didn't hurt to practice her skills. Maybe at the end she could ask Professor what she could do differently.
Tapio smiled and walked over to the delicate, inlaid table he used for coffee and tea, reached under it into a small chest, and pulled out a clear bottle of water, very similar to the plastic things that Muggles were so fond of nowadays. This one, however, was made of a type of magically-reinforced, lightweight glass. He picked up his own cup of coffee and walked back over to his desk, handing the water to Minerva and beckoning to her to sit down in the chair (a normal-sized one) placed in front of his desk. Tapio seated himself in his own large chair behind the desk, took a sip of coffee, and then, when he thought his young interview partner looked ready, began.

"Well, this is supposed to be a fairly free-form meeting. It's to prepare you for making the most of the upcoming job fair we're having, but it can also be whatever you want or need. If you want to talk about career planning or any other similar questions, we can do that, too.

"So let me start by asking you--what do you want to get out of this meeting?"

Last edited by MadAlice; 06-17-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals
Default Job Fair Meeting

She didn't often make her way down to the Professors offices, none of them really, so while Professor DeVries grabbed her the requested water, Mouse let brown eyes roam over the space. The difference in size between the chairs was comical at glance and she smiled a bit at it, before moving to take a seat in the one indicated for her as she accepted the glass water bottle. "Thank you." She said in response, smiling her appreciation as she made herself comfortable.

And then it seemed they were officially commencing, and her body relaxed a bit as she settled in and considered his question. What was she hoping to get out of this? Well... she supposed job ideas for one. She had brought her official OWL results from the summer previous in case he needed to see it, see if there was anything he could even suggest for a job. "Well... I suppose I'm hoping there's any type of direction you could assist me with. I... don't really know where to go from here after graduation. I've always loved design and I do have a portfolio I've been building for a few years but..." One which she'd also brought with her. "But design is such a competitive field, I'm probably not good enough to go anywhere with it. So I guess really... what would be some of my career options based on my scores?" Something that she'd have a chance of being successful in, even if she might not LOVE it.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
She had brought her official OWL results from the summer previous in case he needed to see it, see if there was anything he could even suggest for a job. "Well... I suppose I'm hoping there's any type of direction you could assist me with. I... don't really know where to go from here after graduation. I've always loved design and I do have a portfolio I've been building for a few years but..." One which she'd also brought with her. "But design is such a competitive field, I'm probably not good enough to go anywhere with it. So I guess really... what would be some of my career options based on my scores?" Something that she'd have a chance of being successful in, even if she might not LOVE it.
Tapio grew serious as he listened to Minerva. It seemed a shame to him to hear someone so young already second-guessing themselves and deciding they weren't good enough at something. Not that Tapio could judge anyone's talent for something like design (was that fashion design or home decorating? either way, not his expertise). And it was true, it could be hard to make a living in very competitive fields. It was also true, though, that sometimes people forever regretted not trying something like that.

"Well, it is true that some fields are very competitive and harder to make a living at than others, but it seems a shame to count yourself out right at the start. And you say you have built a portfolio already? That sounds like something you really have an interest in, and the desire to carry that through. What you might do is to bring your portfolio to the Job Fair and see if you can talk to anyone who's already working in that field--I think we will have some designers there. Ask them questions about how they got into it, maybe see if they'd take a look at your work and give you some feedback. At least that would be more objective than your just deciding you're not good enough on your own. Though I'm afraid I personally don't have enough knowledge of that field to give you a valid opinion.

"As to other careers--because you might as well explore several while you have the opportunity--well, you certainly have the grades to go into Herbology, though I may be prejudiced there. Though there is always the option of doing landscape design of some sorts, combining your love of design with your aptitude in Herbology. You could even combine it with history--I know of a few people who own old, historic homes that wish to create gardens and grounds that contain plants from the same time period as their houses, and are willing to pay a lot of money for it.

"I do have some brochures and pamphlets here on various careers,"
Tapio went on as he leaned down to dig in one of his desk drawers. ""They talk about the qualifications needed for various jobs in the wizarding world. I'll let you pick out some to look over and maybe get some more ideas." As Tapio continued talking, a small green lizard appeared crawling up and over the large man's shoulder. It continued to walk carefully down the professor's sleeve as Tapio was still rooting around in his drawer, oblivious to his small guest.
Old 06-24-2023, 02:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
"Ooooooh...they look so delicate! Kind of remind me on this one kind of lemon cookie that we pick up from the market sometime...but I don't think those are called Pod...vod..nice." And then what he was saying caught up with her a bit more. "Your wife made these and sent them to you? That is so cute and romantic!" Did Anna know his wife was a magizoologist? Probably...but she had forgotten if she had known. "I'm sure she misses you loads while you're here at Hogwarts. It is really kind of her to lend you to us."
Tapio enjoyed Anna's constant chatter, though he did find it a bit hard to keep up with her at times. And...what was this--a gift? For him? It looked like some sort of equipment for making colored bubbles, or something. He'd have to try it out the next fine day. But "Oh, Miss Walles, I hadn't expected any gifts in return, those candy flowers I left in the Common Room were my gift to you all in return for all your hard work last term. But, thank you--this looks like it will be fun!"

Tapio sat at his desk and fiddled with the tea things a bit, to make sure everything was there. "What--the cookies? Oh, it wasn't Isla--my wife--who made them. She's not much of a baker, unless it's making creature snacks--that's what she does, you know. No, she probably got these as a gift or bought them in a market, but it's nice to know she's thinking of me, all the same. I do enjoy baking for her when our family is together at home, though."

As Tapio was speaking, a small green lizard slowly crept out from behind a vase on the edge of the desk and carefully made its way over to where the cookies were laid out.
Old 06-25-2023, 02:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals
Default Job Fair Meeting!

SPOILER!!: Prof. DeVries!
Quote:
Tapio grew serious as he listened to Minerva. It seemed a shame to him to hear someone so young already second-guessing themselves and deciding they weren't good enough at something. Not that Tapio could judge anyone's talent for something like design (was that fashion design or home decorating? either way, not his expertise). And it was true, it could be hard to make a living in very competitive fields. It was also true, though, that sometimes people forever regretted not trying something like that.

"Well, it is true that some fields are very competitive and harder to make a living at than others, but it seems a shame to count yourself out right at the start. And you say you have built a portfolio already? That sounds like something you really have an interest in, and the desire to carry that through. What you might do is to bring your portfolio to the Job Fair and see if you can talk to anyone who's already working in that field--I think we will have some designers there. Ask them questions about how they got into it, maybe see if they'd take a look at your work and give you some feedback. At least that would be more objective than your just deciding you're not good enough on your own. Though I'm afraid I personally don't have enough knowledge of that field to give you a valid opinion.

"As to other careers--because you might as well explore several while you have the opportunity--well, you certainly have the grades to go into Herbology, though I may be prejudiced there. Though there is always the option of doing landscape design of some sorts, combining your love of design with your aptitude in Herbology. You could even combine it with history--I know of a few people who own old, historic homes that wish to create gardens and grounds that contain plants from the same time period as their houses, and are willing to pay a lot of money for it.

"I do have some brochures and pamphlets here on various careers,"
Tapio went on as he leaned down to dig in one of his desk drawers. ""They talk about the qualifications needed for various jobs in the wizarding world. I'll let you pick out some to look over and maybe get some more ideas." As Tapio continued talking, a small green lizard appeared crawling up and over the large man's shoulder. It continued to walk carefully down the professor's sleeve as Tapio was still rooting around in his drawer, oblivious to his small guest.

Truly, it wasn't that Mouse meant to second guess herself the way that she did. But she was trying to be realistic. Her Aunt Cosette had always wanted to be an actress on bigger stages, but between the competitive nature of the field and then having her cousin.. she'd chosen to stay where she'd been successful in smaller theater showings. Which there was nothing wrong with, but it still hadn't been her initial dream. But life had thrown circumstances her way and Aunt Cosette had learned to take them in stride, being both realistic and making the best of what she did have available to her. Mouse just wanted to make sure she was doing the same, instead of shooting for the stars and ending up disappointed when her rocket lost power half way.

But.. Professor DeVries was right, the least she could do would be to attempt to show her design book around and the photos of the outfits she'd previously created. If someone liked it and there was any availability for any type of internship in the industry, excellent! But if not... it didn't hurt to have her back up options. "I'll take my look book with me, that's a great idea Professor. And if I door opens I won't close it merely because it could end up being a dead end. I won't know unless I step foot inside. But considering other options is safe too."

So she was very interested in the brochures he pulled out. The idea of landscape and design certainly sounded fun as well, and one she would consider. She loved being outside and working with plants was something so peaceful. It was also very nice to hear such praise from someone as experienced in the field as the Professor before her. "Thank you, sir. What other options with herbology might there be? Outside of design, which I do like, and a job with the ministry?"

She leaned forward to take a glance at all the pamphlets, before a little lizard on the man's sleeve caught her eye and the seventh year couldn't help but giggle. "I think you have another guest as well, sir. I think he's trying to assist you with locating your job resources." She grinned as the little guy disappeared behind the desk whilst on the man's arm.

Old 06-28-2023, 02:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Ah, Herbology! Tapio was always happy to talk about that! "Well, there are actually a lot of different opportunities in herbology. There are positions in magical nurseries and plant shops. Apothecaries and potionmakers often source some of their ingredients through free-lance herbologists. There are various gardens, both magical and Muggle, around the world. After you get a bit of experience, there are opportunities at educational institutions like Hogwarts--I myself worked at the Göttingen Alchemical Institute in Germany. And there are magical forests and plant preserves, like the Cairngorm IMPA--that's short for "Important Magical Plant Area"--right here in Scotland, but of course, that's not the only one. And some of the larger places offer internships and apprenticeships to beginners."

Quote:
She leaned forward to take a glance at all the pamphlets, before a little lizard on the man's sleeve caught her eye and the seventh year couldn't help but giggle. "I think you have another guest as well, sir. I think he's trying to assist you with locating your job resources." She grinned as the little guy disappeared behind the desk whilst on the man's arm.
Tapio followed the girl's glance just in time to see Fred scurrying away behind the desk. "Oh, that's just Fred, my pet lizard. Come on out here, you, and greet our visitor properly." Tapio reached down with his other hand and poked a large finger out at the lizard, who, after eyeing Mouse carefully from the safety of the desk, finally condescended to climb onto Tapio's finger and allow himself to be brought out into the open. From the middle of the large desk, Fred proceeded to turn himself this way and that, as if to show off his lovely green scales to the visitor.
Old 07-02-2023, 02:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

Minister for Magic

DoM & MO

Alley Proprietor
Romanian Longhorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mitsuki Rasting
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Anna Walles
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Charles Hollingberry
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Airey Flamsteed
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Zachaël Lufkin
Owl Post

x12 x12

Quote:
Tapio enjoyed Anna's constant chatter, though he did find it a bit hard to keep up with her at times. And...what was this--a gift? For him? It looked like some sort of equipment for making colored bubbles, or something. He'd have to try it out the next fine day. But "Oh, Miss Walles, I hadn't expected any gifts in return, those candy flowers I left in the Common Room were my gift to you all in return for all your hard work last term. But, thank you--this looks like it will be fun!"

Tapio sat at his desk and fiddled with the tea things a bit, to make sure everything was there. "What--the cookies? Oh, it wasn't Isla--my wife--who made them. She's not much of a baker, unless it's making creature snacks--that's what she does, you know. No, she probably got these as a gift or bought them in a market, but it's nice to know she's thinking of me, all the same. I do enjoy baking for her when our family is together at home, though."

As Tapio was speaking, a small green lizard slowly crept out from behind a vase on the edge of the desk and carefully made its way over to where the cookies were laid out.
She would be ever so pleased to know he enjoyed her chatter. Some peers said she talked too much, but that was only because she had a lot to say! A quiet Anna was usually a sign of distress or sads. Certainly wasn't the case now though. "Oh I figured as much, professor. But I also figure that professors and parents and influential adults in our lives do a lot of things without intention of receiving something in return but it seems a bit unfair to me that surprise gifts of appreciation only be one-sided. Also...like...we worked hard partly in thanks to your guidance and encouragement, so this is just my humble way of saying thank you for believing in us Hufflepuffles. I'd be happy to go over its contents with you if you'd like. I've been using the paints with my dormmates to make kind of stained-glass art for our windows." Even better now that they figured out another way to make things without painting directly on to the windows.

"Isla? Her name is Isla? That is such a beautiful name," the third year replied with wide eyes that practically had sparkly stars in them. "What kind of creature snacks does she make? Have you tried them? Are they good? Are they savory or sweet?" Were they like crup biscuits or kneazle snacks? She had tried one or two of those before and not on accident. Especially the crup biscuits that had resembled sunflowers.

Anna was about to reach for one of these very special gifted cookies when she spotted their secondary visitor. "Oh, hello there!" Anna smiled wide, immediately reminded of Lally and her love for lizards and reptiles in general. Anna had tried to learn a lot about the creatures so she could indulge her little cousin more, which was pretty easy to do...especially when they were colorful like this little creature was. "Oh you are very magestic. Professor, is that a leopard anole? Are they your familiar? Do they want a cookie?"

Old 07-02-2023, 04:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals
Default Job Fair Interview

The idea of nurseries and plant shops had an image appearing in her mind of her living her best Belle inspired life, a little plant shop and book shop combo with a little nook for people to read in with the more docile species of plants. It was a cute idea and she wasn't really looking to just get rich in her life time so... she filed that idea away for later too. The more she considered things that Professor DeVries mentioned, the clearer and clearer it was to Mouse she wasn't going to be happy with anything unless somehow she could fit design into it. Even if it wasn't clothes or outfits, the idea of garden landscaping was interesting her - or her own business so that she could do the interior design the way she wanted to. Not that she wanted to do that for other people, she wanted the creative freedom to do what inspired her - not per someone else's ideas of beauty. "I don't think I could see myself teaching, that's for sure but... you have definitely given me a lot of things to think about, Professor. Thank you for all the suggestions. I have some ideas that I think I want to research further into now and... it doesn't hurt to still look for designers at the fair as you suggested and maybe reaching out to some people with copies of my sketches and see if anyone is looking for an intern." She wouldn't know unless she tried, right?

Her attention shifted down to the little green lizard, Fred as she now knew the name to be, and smiled a bit as it came out further to show off. The turns were not lost on her and she gave a small giggle. "He looks like he'd have a very promising career as a model. He's beautiful. It's nice to meet you, Fred!" Was there anything as naturally beautiful as reptile scales?

Old 07-04-2023, 07:47 PM   #21 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
"I don't think I could see myself teaching, that's for sure but... you have definitely given me a lot of things to think about, Professor. Thank you for all the suggestions. I have some ideas that I think I want to research further into now and... it doesn't hurt to still look for designers at the fair as you suggested and maybe reaching out to some people with copies of my sketches and see if anyone is looking for an intern." She wouldn't know unless she tried, right?

Her attention shifted down to the little green lizard, Fred as she now knew the name to be, and smiled a bit as it came out further to show off. The turns were not lost on her and she gave a small giggle. "He looks like he'd have a very promising career as a model. He's beautiful. It's nice to meet you, Fred!" Was there anything as naturally beautiful as reptile scales?
Tapio smiled, happy to think he might have been of some use here. "Yes, it's almost as important to find out what you don't want to do as it is to find out what you do want. For myself, I realized early on that I wouldn't be happy with a job that kept me indoors all the time. But not all jobs at educational institutions are teaching, you know. Hogwarts is my first teaching job, my work at the Institute involved growing plants that were needed for classes and research. But that's what the job fair is for--a chance to meet different people in different professions, and ask them what their typical work day is like, what they had to do to get started in those professions--that sort of thing. You can't beat real life experience and you'll find out things you just can't get from reading a pamphlet."

Tapio paused to reach out a finger to the preening Fred, who finally left off his posing long enough to crawl on the extended hand and let himself be settled on Tapio's desk, where he discovered a dead fly which interested him very much. "Yes, I left my pet cats at home when I came here, but fortunately once I set up my office, I made the acquaintance of Fred, who has graciously agreed to join me here and keep me company." Fred was more of a companion than a pet, for he came and went at his own whims.

Last edited by MadAlice; 07-04-2023 at 07:48 PM. Reason: title...
Old 07-07-2023, 04:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals
Default Job Fair!

Quote:
Tapio smiled, happy to think he might have been of some use here. "Yes, it's almost as important to find out what you don't want to do as it is to find out what you do want. For myself, I realized early on that I wouldn't be happy with a job that kept me indoors all the time. But not all jobs at educational institutions are teaching, you know. Hogwarts is my first teaching job, my work at the Institute involved growing plants that were needed for classes and research. But that's what the job fair is for--a chance to meet different people in different professions, and ask them what their typical work day is like, what they had to do to get started in those professions--that sort of thing. You can't beat real life experience and you'll find out things you just can't get from reading a pamphlet."

Tapio paused to reach out a finger to the preening Fred, who finally left off his posing long enough to crawl on the extended hand and let himself be settled on Tapio's desk, where he discovered a dead fly which interested him very much. "Yes, I left my pet cats at home when I came here, but fortunately once I set up my office, I made the acquaintance of Fred, who has graciously agreed to join me here and keep me company." Fred was more of a companion than a pet, for he came and went at his own whims.
Had he asked her, Mouse would have assured Professor DeVries that he'd been a tremendous help - truly. She'd come in with an idea of her dream, but instead of taking a chance on it she'd been looking only for a back up. Something else that could maybe make her happy. Through their conversation, she was feeling confident in at least giving it a go - even if rejection was the only thing she found later. AND she had a back up idea that she thought would still make her quite happy. Plus a few other suggestions that at the very least deserved some thought. In fact, she kind of already wanted to go and write a letter about things to discuss with someone who knew her well and see their input. "You're certainly right about that. I'll make sure to not limit myself at the fair and speaking with different professionals. Though... if it's still an option, I would love to take a couple of the pamphlets with me." She reached out to snag a few on the desk now, sliding them into her bag for further reading.

She smiled, continuing to watch Fred even as he moved on to the new found meal. Watching reptiles and amphibians eat was not something that bothered her, especially given her own companion was a frog that she was quite fond of. "Creatures really are amazing with the way they seek us out and befriend us." Leaving pets was hard, but making new friends helped. Glancing out the window to see the movement of the sun, Mouse figured she'd probably taken as much time as she needed to from the busy Professor. And perhaps she was a bit excited to get to researching and writing things out on her own.

Reaching out to finish her water which she'd been sipping on throughout, the seventh year stood from her perch and gave a wide grateful smile. "I won't take up any more of your time now but... thank you for this chat and your guidance, Professor. I'm certainly feeling a lot more confident about where to look for direction for post graduation. And I think I'll be even more so after the job fair." This truly had been quite the gift from the universe that this was the year Hogwarts hosted this event. "I'll see you next class."

Old 07-12-2023, 03:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Tapio was impressed by this very grown-up speech from one of his young Hufflepuffs, and would be pleased to know that none of them were painting on the windows (because that annoyed the House Elves very much, not to mention the Board of Directors)

Quote:

"Isla? Her name is Isla? That is such a beautiful name," the third year replied with wide eyes that practically had sparkly stars in them. "What kind of creature snacks does she make? Have you tried them? Are they good? Are they savory or sweet?" Were they like crup biscuits or kneazle snacks? She had tried one or two of those before and not on accident. Especially the crup biscuits that had resembled sunflowers.
"Oh, these aren't snacks shaped like creatures, they're snacks for creatures, so they're not always good for people to eat. Isla is a magical naturalist, specializing in magical creatures, and we met while we were both working at the Göttingen Alchemical Institute in Germany. Our careers complement each other quite well. She's off on a magizoologist expedition right now, while I'm at Hogwarts. Now that our two sons are grown up (or so they think), we've been able to pursue some different kinds of work."

Quote:
Anna was about to reach for one of these very special gifted cookies when she spotted their secondary visitor. "Oh, hello there!" Anna smiled wide, immediately reminded of Lally and her love for lizards and reptiles in general. Anna had tried to learn a lot about the creatures so she could indulge her little cousin more, which was pretty easy to do...especially when they were colorful like this little creature was. "Oh you are very magestic. Professor, is that a leopard anole? Are they your familiar? Do they want a cookie?"
"Yes, well spotted," said Tapio, turning his attention to the lizard. "That's Fred. He's not my familiar--or maybe he thinks he is, now. But I didn't bring him here with me, he appeared one day soon after I'd built this cabin office and has made himself right at home. I suppose you could try and see if he wants a bit of cookie, if you like." Tapio watched indulgently as Fred continued his progress toward the cookies. "Why don't you break a piece off of one and offer it to him?"
Old 07-24-2023, 04:36 AM   #24 (permalink)

Minister for Magic

DoM & MO

Alley Proprietor
Romanian Longhorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mitsuki Rasting
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Anna Walles
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Charles Hollingberry
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Airey Flamsteed
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Zachaël Lufkin
Owl Post

x12 x12

Anna was listening to and absolutely hanging on her head of house's every word with stars in her eyes. She could just tell how deeply in love he and his wife were and it was absolutely amazing that they had careers that were not exactly the same but totally complimented each other's. It was DESTINY that they were together. "Oh, you have children?" This information excited her as well and, for some reason, it hadn't really crossed the young Hufflepuffle's mind that her professor was a father too and not just to plants. "What are their names? What are they like? Are they herbologists and magizoologists too?"

By this time, and now with the introduction of the professor's lizard companion, Anna had entirely forgotten about tea and biscuits. She hadn't been particularly hungry to begin with even though she was absolutely infatuated with having afternoon tea like a proper lady with such a sophisticated mind.

"Really? He must have been terribly tired and traveled a very far distance to get here. They aren't native to Scotland, are they? Or are they? Do you think maybe he escape from a traveling circus and found his way to freedom in your cabin and care?" She wondered what his job would be at a circus...besides being something beautiful to look at. "Oh right!" she chirped as she was reminded of the special baked goods and reached forward to grab one - completing the gesture this time and actually picking one up. Gleefully snapping it in half, Anna lay the broken bits and crumbs on her palm nice and flat and held it out to Fred.

Old 07-26-2023, 02:12 AM   #25 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
"Oh, you have children?" This information excited her as well and, for some reason, it hadn't really crossed the young Hufflepuffle's mind that her professor was a father too and not just to plants. "What are their names? What are they like? Are they herbologists and magizoologists too?"
Tapio would have been a bit surprised to think of himself as a romantic hero, but if he had, he might not have disagreed. He had fallen head over heels in love with Isla from the moment they met, had left his native country and moved to Scotland to be with her, and had never regretted it for one moment.

"Well, we have two sons--Fraser, our eldest, is 25--quite grown-up, or so he thinks. He's finished school now, but he doesn't work with either plants or animals, but minerals! He's begun a career as a metal charmer and is living in Leeds right now. Our younger son, Acton, is 22 and--well, I don't think he's quite sure yet what he wants to be." Tapio sighed a little to himself--Acton had been a source of worry to both Isla and himself the past year or so. He'd dropped out of university last year to travel around Europe with some friends to 'find himself,' and had just returned home this spring. "He's still in university--it's taking him a while, because he keeps changing majors. But we're hoping he finds his calling when he returns to school next fall. Right now he's staying with his brother, but I'll take him home with me to Hampshire when this term is over." Tapio was planning on having a long conversation with his youngest this summer.

Quote:
By this time, and now with the introduction of the professor's lizard companion, Anna had entirely forgotten about tea and biscuits. .... "Really? He must have been terribly tired and traveled a very far distance to get here. They aren't native to Scotland, are they? Or are they? Do you think maybe he escape from a traveling circus and found his way to freedom in your cabin and care?"
Tapio had been thoughtfully chewing on a biscuit as they both contemplated Fred, who was inspecting the cookie crumbs in Anna's hand. "You know, that's a very good question. I don't believe this type of lizard is native to Scotland, but I have no idea where he came from--he's not one of Professor Paton's creatures, and no one is really sure how long he's even been here. I suppose the only one who really knows is Fred, and he's not talking." Tapio wondered, as he did from time to time, whether he ought to take Fred with him when he eventually left Hogwarts, or if he should leave him here where he found him. He would have to try to see how Fred felt about it all when the time came, he supposed.

Meanwhile, Fred had turned away from the cookie that was offered to him and was prowling around the desk on his own as if searching for something. "Hmm, maybe lizards don't really like cookies after all," mused Tapio aloud. "I know, they like fruit--why don't you offer him a bit of this apple?" Tapio pulled out a half-eaten apple from a desk drawer--he really should have finished that instead of eating cookies, but it was tea time, after all. The apple had turned a bit brown at the edges by now, but Fred wouldn't mind that. Tapio used a penknife that was in the same drawer to cut off a few bits of apple and handed them to Anna. "Here, try these--I think Fred will like those better than a cookie." Of course, what Fred really liked was insects, but Tapio felt this student would probably not want to watch the lizard massacre a fly.