FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Hogwarts RPG

Students: 9872
Classes: 15
Professors: 12

View Points

Members

There are 1085 users online including...
Eldaroja , love-for-HP , Eldarvrb , Leonkul , Andreasrfm , Andreasajb , Ver , Eldarlhr

11 members
1074 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmaster: Malachi Trent's Reign > Term 57: January - April 2021

Term 57: January - April 2021 Term Fifty-Seven: The Third Wizarding War (Sept 2103 - June 2104)

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 12-21-2020, 10:43 PM

Default Office of Professor Varma

Although Professor Varma's office is located in the dungeons, you wouldn't be able to tell at first glance. The room is bright, cheery, and warm, with colorful drapes of sunset orange and magenta adorning the ceiling. A fireplace cackles in one corner, while enchanted chandeliers provide a glow to the office. Behind Professor Varma's desk is a rather intricate-looking coffee bar, complete with an espresso machine, a tea kettle, sweetening syrups, and jars containing various flavors of crushed tea leaves.

Off to the side is a gold cauldron and a table with various vials, ingredients, and potion-making devices. A self-stirring spoon mixes the vibrant aqua liquid inside, emitting a scent similar to cinnamon. Behind the cauldron, a large bookshelf contains guides and recipes for almost every potion imaginable. A few enchanted portraits decorate the wall—one of Professor Varma laughing alongside a strikingly identical woman, one of a grand sandstone palace, bustling with tourists and locals alike, and one of an older couple waving from the window of what looks to be a library.

If Professor Varma has invited you in, there are two rattan chairs with colorful seat cushions waiting for you. Do make yourself at home!

OOC: There is no waiting area, so please just have a knock on the door. Shreya will be with you shortly!
Old 02-08-2021, 06:30 AM   #26 (permalink)

MO & DMT
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jocelyn Bryce
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jina Morin
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Carson Coleman
Transportation

Diagon Alley Employee:
Camilo Aguilar
Quality Quidditch Supplies

Diagon Alley Employee:
Tabatha Krauss
Janus Galloglass
books and cleverness | i like you a latte

Irithel wanted to ask Professor Varma about something that had been bothering her for a while. Wearing a pretty but empty potion vial on a chain for a necklace, she made her way down to the dungeons and knocked on the office door, hoping the professor was in.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:33 PM   #27 (permalink)

DMT & DMLE
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Avalon Sinclair
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Japser Cohen
Magical Creatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Did Cornelia know much about history? She knew a few things, but what her parents had told her about was limited (i.e. no Muggleborns like Hermione Granger were mentioned). Her forehead did furrow a bit when the professor said she wasn't aware of anyone young, first years in particular, that successfully brewed the Polyjuice Potion. It was at this point she was about to suggest the possibility of her brewing it, with the woman's help of course, so she could be that first year who succeeded in doing it. The woman did say something about a controlled environment, had she not?

Her curiosity only continued to grow after that warning. Even though she didn't say so out loud, the warning did the complete opposite of deterring her from wanting to look into the potion more. She wondered if it was worth asking one of the older students if they had brewed it before. They could be helpful...

But the conversation with the professor was nice. The first year was learning so much, way more than she expected she would. It was definitely interesting stuff, way more interesting than that boring history stuff they had to learn. She smiled when the professor chuckled and casually took a sip of her tea. See? She was just an innocent first year, simply asking questions and wanting to know things and try things out. She was pure at heart, at least in her mind she was.

When the book pages were shown to her, she couldn't stop a funny look from appearing on her face at the sight of the muddy looking potion. If it wasn't rude to gag at the sight of it, she would have. But her eyes did brighten up a bit at the sight of the pretty lavender potion. "Ooo! I bet mine would look something like that. My daddy says I'm all sugar and spice and everything nice." It really was a shame they wouldn't know any time soon. There was a bit of a pause, a few tea sips, before the girl spoke again. "So if Polyjuice is too dangerous" -- pfft, okay -- "then what potions would you recommend for a first year to brew that have cool effects?"
"Maybe so. Perhaps then yours would taste like cinnamon," Shreya said with a laugh, closing the book once the Slytherin was done taking a peek. She placed it back onto the bookshelf gently. It was an old book, but an important one nevertheless. Didn't want any pages falling out or the spine getting smushed. "Well, I must caution against testing out potions simply to experience a cool effect, just for the fun of it. Potions have very specific uses and intentions, and toying with them is a dangerous habit. Not to mention prohibited at Hogwarts."

But she was sympathetic to the young girl's wishes. When Shreya was a girl, she had the same enthusiasm about brewing. She figured she could impart some advice for practicing, both in the Potions lab (supervised, of course) or at home over the summer holiday. If there ever was going to be a summer holiday again, that was. "The strength potion corresponds with your ability level. You may find yourself able to lift very large objects for a short amount of time after taking that. The hair-raising potion, as well. It may be a bit above your ability level, but with some more practice, you may have success with it. And you never know what cool potions we may be covering in our lessons next." She added a wink, hoping to encourage the first year to keep attending lessons and keep striving to learn more. At least until she was old enough to brew and experiment with potions on her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post
Irithel wanted to ask Professor Varma about something that had been bothering her for a while. Wearing a pretty but empty potion vial on a chain for a necklace, she made her way down to the dungeons and knocked on the office door, hoping the professor was in.
The arrival of winter at Hogwarts brought with it chillier-than-usual temperatures in the dungeons. Shreya stood at her fireplace, stoking the flames to try and generate more heat. She was already wrapped in a cozy knit sweater, but she still had goosebumps. The consequences of having an office in the lowest part of the castle, apparently.

She jumped slightly at the knock on her door, experiencing a brief bit of fear at the thought that it could be the Inquisitorial Squad. Or worse, Rosier. But the knock had sounded gentle and peppy. Not forceful or angry. So perhaps it was just another lovely student.

Shreya cautiously opened the door, her face breaking into a smile at the sight of young Irithel. "Ms. Rutherford! So good to see you. Please, come in!" Swinging open the door wide for the young Ravenclaw, she gestured her toward the comfy chairs.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #28 (permalink)

MO & DMT
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jocelyn Bryce
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jina Morin
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Carson Coleman
Transportation

Diagon Alley Employee:
Camilo Aguilar

Diagon Alley Employee:
Tabatha Krauss
Janus Galloglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireheart View Post
The arrival of winter at Hogwarts brought with it chillier-than-usual temperatures in the dungeons. Shreya stood at her fireplace, stoking the flames to try and generate more heat. She was already wrapped in a cozy knit sweater, but she still had goosebumps. The consequences of having an office in the lowest part of the castle, apparently.

She jumped slightly at the knock on her door, experiencing a brief bit of fear at the thought that it could be the Inquisitorial Squad. Or worse, Rosier. But the knock had sounded gentle and peppy. Not forceful or angry. So perhaps it was just another lovely student.

Shreya cautiously opened the door, her face breaking into a smile at the sight of young Irithel. "Ms. Rutherford! So good to see you. Please, come in!" Swinging open the door wide for the young Ravenclaw, she gestured her toward the comfy chairs.
She did not have to wait long in the chilly dungeon corridor before the door opened and she looked up at the Potion Master's smiling face. "Hi, Professor Varma. It's good to see you too," she said, rather sincerely.

Stepping into the warm and bright office, Irithel glanced around slowly. All the cheerful colours were a jarring contrast to the gloomy corridor she just walked down. She blinked rapidly to get used to the new and better atmosphere and moved toward the cushioned rattan chairs. On the way, she noticed a GOLD cauldron on one side with a spoon magically stirring the liquid inside. Green eyes then landed on the fancy drinks bar behind the desk. She had no idea what she wanted to do after Hogwarts, but she decided that she wanted a job where she would have an office, so that she could decorate it just like this room.

Finally sitting down, the second year stared at the moving portraits on the wall for a moment. "Wow, do you have a twin sister? Where is that palace? Are they your parents?" she asked about each portrait.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

DMT & DMLE
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Avalon Sinclair
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Japser Cohen
Magical Creatures

Quote:
She did not have to wait long in the chilly dungeon corridor before the door opened and she looked up at the Potion Master's smiling face. "Hi, Professor Varma. It's good to see you too," she said, rather sincerely.

Stepping into the warm and bright office, Irithel glanced around slowly. All the cheerful colours were a jarring contrast to the gloomy corridor she just walked down. She blinked rapidly to get used to the new and better atmosphere and moved toward the cushioned rattan chairs. On the way, she noticed a GOLD cauldron on one side with a spoon magically stirring the liquid inside. Green eyes then landed on the fancy drinks bar behind the desk. She had no idea what she wanted to do after Hogwarts, but she decided that she wanted a job where she would have an office, so that she could decorate it just like this room.

Finally sitting down, the second year stared at the moving portraits on the wall for a moment. "Wow, do you have a twin sister? Where is that palace? Are they your parents?" she asked about each portrait.
It was always an interesting experience to see a student taking in her office for the first time. Their expressions of awe and confusion were pretty funny. Really, it was as if they thought the Potions professor had to reside in a dark, dingy office. But just because the dungeons were gloomy didn't mean her room had to be gloomy as well. "I do have a twin sister. Her name is Solani," Shreya replied, smiling sadly toward the portraits. She wondered what her family was up to lately. It had been ages since she was able to write to them.

"That, my dear, is the Hawa Mahal. A rather commercialized tourist destination now, I suppose, but it reminds me of home nonetheless," Shreya said, gesturing to the next portrait. "And yes, those are my parents...."She trailed off, a pang of sorrow coming over her at the realization that the students were unable to see their family this year as well. How difficult it must be for them. She forced a smile back at the young Ravenclaw, not wanting the child to know that she was upset, before settling down in her chair. "Anyway, enough about me." Although Shreya would be more than happy to talk about herself all day, she figured the student probably had a question. "What can I do for you today, Irithel?"
Old 02-12-2021, 12:40 PM   #30 (permalink)

MO & DMT
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jocelyn Bryce
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jina Morin
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Carson Coleman
Transportation

Diagon Alley Employee:
Camilo Aguilar

Diagon Alley Employee:
Tabatha Krauss
Janus Galloglass

Quote:
It was always an interesting experience to see a student taking in her office for the first time. Their expressions of awe and confusion were pretty funny. Really, it was as if they thought the Potions professor had to reside in a dark, dingy office. But just because the dungeons were gloomy didn't mean her room had to be gloomy as well. "I do have a twin sister. Her name is Solani," Shreya replied, smiling sadly toward the portraits. She wondered what her family was up to lately. It had been ages since she was able to write to them.

"That, my dear, is the Hawa Mahal. A rather commercialized tourist destination now, I suppose, but it reminds me of home nonetheless," Shreya said, gesturing to the next portrait. "And yes, those are my parents...."She trailed off, a pang of sorrow coming over her at the realization that the students were unable to see their family this year as well. How difficult it must be for them. She forced a smile back at the young Ravenclaw, not wanting the child to know that she was upset, before settling down in her chair. "Anyway, enough about me." Although Shreya would be more than happy to talk about herself all day, she figured the student probably had a question. "What can I do for you today, Irithel?"
Oh no, she was probably doing that thing again where she asks too many questions and annoy adults. Irithel reminded herself to stop asking about Professor Varma's personal life, or she would be told to leave the office before she got to discuss her problem. "It's nice that you have these portraits that remind you of home," she commented simply. She missed her family too, though she was lucky that she had two brothers stuck in Ravenclaw Tower with her.

"I would like to know how ingredients that we use in lessons are obtained, Professor," she said, pushing her glasses up her nose. "The thing is, when I was in primary school, I decided to be a vegan because I love animals and care about the environment. Then I came to Hogwarts and had to use all kinds of animal parts in Potions class, so I felt confused. I know I can't completely avoid animal products in the wizarding world, but I think I'll feel comfortable if I knew where the ingredients come from."
Old 02-13-2021, 01:47 AM   #31 (permalink)

DMT & DMLE
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Avalon Sinclair
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Japser Cohen
Magical Creatures

Quote:
Oh no, she was probably doing that thing again where she asks too many questions and annoy adults. Irithel reminded herself to stop asking about Professor Varma's personal life, or she would be told to leave the office before she got to discuss her problem. "It's nice that you have these portraits that remind you of home," she commented simply. She missed her family too, though she was lucky that she had two brothers stuck in Ravenclaw Tower with her.

"I would like to know how ingredients that we use in lessons are obtained, Professor," she said, pushing her glasses up her nose. "The thing is, when I was in primary school, I decided to be a vegan because I love animals and care about the environment. Then I came to Hogwarts and had to use all kinds of animal parts in Potions class, so I felt confused. I know I can't completely avoid animal products in the wizarding world, but I think I'll feel comfortable if I knew where the ingredients come from."
"It is, it is," Shreya agreed, not at all irritated by the young girl's personal questions. It was endearing that the students wanted to get to know her more. And although talking about her family filled her with sadness, it also filled her with warm nostalgia. As if she could almost smell the cardamom curry that her mother loved to cook.

But alas, the girl had potion-making questions, and Shreya was happy to provide some answers. "A very wise question, Ms. Rutherford," she said with a proud smile, overjoyed that her students were curious about such important topics. "Potion ethics is a complex subject. One that has been debated heavily over the years. I am adamant, as I'm sure all of the previous potions professor here have been, that all ingredients that we use at Hogwarts are sustainably sourced." She wasn't sure how much the Ravenclaw knew about the topic, but she figured she was relatively well-versed in sustainability, being a vegan and all.

"Ethically-sourced ingredients are harvested from creatures that have already passed away. Or they are taken from creatures in a completely humane manner. For example, dragon scales may be collected from a dragon's habitat, so as to not harm the creature itself. Though I'm afraid that not all ingredient companies are as ethical." She thought back to her collegiate years, where she had written an entire dissertation on the ethics of ingredient harvesting. The findings were somewhat disturbing—with how many companies made creatures suffer to collect ingredients.

"And I would understand if you still don't feel comfortable consuming potions in class with creature ingredients," Shreya said warmly. She respected the perspectives of the students. Even if the ingredients were sustainably sourced, she understood if they were hesitant about consuming them. And unlike food, there weren't any vegan substitutes for potions.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #32 (permalink)

MO & DMT
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jocelyn Bryce
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jina Morin
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Carson Coleman
Transportation

Diagon Alley Employee:
Camilo Aguilar

Diagon Alley Employee:
Tabatha Krauss
Janus Galloglass

Irithel beamed when Professor Varma said her question was very wise. Hehe! She was glad she came to talk to her instead of continuing to mull over the topic by herself. She was also glad to hear the answer she was hoping to get: that ingredients used at Hogwarts were sustainably sourced. Taking body parts from already dead creatures still felt gross, but it was certainly not as bad as killing them for human use. She nodded as she listened to the professor with rapt attention. Potion ethics was a truly fascinating subject. "I think I'll feel more comfortable brewing and consuming potions in class, now that I know the animal ingredients are harvested ethically. Thank you, Professor." Having thought about this a lot, she came to the conclusion that she could not completely avoid animal products if she wanted to live as a witch. So she decided that she would use them only if she absolutely had to and if the animals were treated well before their death.

"When I grow up, I can be someone who checks that companies source ingredients sustainably!" she said after a pause.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:57 PM   #33 (permalink)

DMT & DMLE
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Avalon Sinclair
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Japser Cohen
Magical Creatures

Quote:
Irithel beamed when Professor Varma said her question was very wise. Hehe! She was glad she came to talk to her instead of continuing to mull over the topic by herself. She was also glad to hear the answer she was hoping to get: that ingredients used at Hogwarts were sustainably sourced. Taking body parts from already dead creatures still felt gross, but it was certainly not as bad as killing them for human use. She nodded as she listened to the professor with rapt attention. Potion ethics was a truly fascinating subject. "I think I'll feel more comfortable brewing and consuming potions in class, now that I know the animal ingredients are harvested ethically. Thank you, Professor." Having thought about this a lot, she came to the conclusion that she could not completely avoid animal products if she wanted to live as a witch. So she decided that she would use them only if she absolutely had to and if the animals were treated well before their death.

"When I grow up, I can be someone who checks that companies source ingredients sustainably!" she said after a pause.
Shreya was glad to hear that Irithel was still willing to partake in Potions. Open-mindedness was a wonderful trait to have. "You certainly could be," she responded to the Ravenclaw's comment about her future career. "There are plenty of jobs in the wizarding world that have to do with sustainability and environmentalism. We could certainly use more activists like you to help make a difference." And that was a true fact. Shreya hated to think about how many unethical potion ingredient companies there were. If only there were more regulations and oversight in place. "Any other jobs you'd want to do in the future?" she asked. Not that she expected such young students to know. But she always liked to ask. It was fascinating to find out about their interests.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #34 (permalink)

MO & DMT
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jocelyn Bryce
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jina Morin
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Carson Coleman
Transportation

Diagon Alley Employee:
Camilo Aguilar

Diagon Alley Employee:
Tabatha Krauss
Janus Galloglass

Quote:
Shreya was glad to hear that Irithel was still willing to partake in Potions. Open-mindedness was a wonderful trait to have. "You certainly could be," she responded to the Ravenclaw's comment about her future career. "There are plenty of jobs in the wizarding world that have to do with sustainability and environmentalism. We could certainly use more activists like you to help make a difference." And that was a true fact. Shreya hated to think about how many unethical potion ingredient companies there were. If only there were more regulations and oversight in place. "Any other jobs you'd want to do in the future?" she asked. Not that she expected such young students to know. But she always liked to ask. It was fascinating to find out about their interests.
Irithel had many interests - too many interests, in fact, that she did not know what she really wanted to do in the future. Was that concerning? Some kids her age already had their whole life planned out and knew which subjects they needed to get good grades in to achieve their goals. She hoped it would be okay for her to focus on experiencing different things for now. Anyway, she was confident that she would have a great career in whichever field she chose. "Yeah, I'd love to make a difference! I'm also interested in a lot of other things like baking, writing and duelling. I don't know what I'll end up doing as a job." The possibilities were endless!

"That was all I wanted to ask, so I guess I should get going. Thanks for your time, Professor Varma," she said and stood up from the colourful chair, ready to leave the colourful dungeon office.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Zoe
Dark Force Defense League

DMAC & DMLE
Runespoor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Logan Paton
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Gillyweed Beery
Slytherin
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tallulah Gamp
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Franklin Paton
Law Enforcement

x8 x8
Bathes in Maple Syrup | Dancing Lobster | Mrs. Charlie Weasley | Seneca's Beard | That's So Fetch

Quote:
"Maybe so. Perhaps then yours would taste like cinnamon," Shreya said with a laugh, closing the book once the Slytherin was done taking a peek. She placed it back onto the bookshelf gently. It was an old book, but an important one nevertheless. Didn't want any pages falling out or the spine getting smushed. "Well, I must caution against testing out potions simply to experience a cool effect, just for the fun of it. Potions have very specific uses and intentions, and toying with them is a dangerous habit. Not to mention prohibited at Hogwarts."

But she was sympathetic to the young girl's wishes. When Shreya was a girl, she had the same enthusiasm about brewing. She figured she could impart some advice for practicing, both in the Potions lab (supervised, of course) or at home over the summer holiday. If there ever was going to be a summer holiday again, that was. "The strength potion corresponds with your ability level. You may find yourself able to lift very large objects for a short amount of time after taking that. The hair-raising potion, as well. It may be a bit above your ability level, but with some more practice, you may have success with it. And you never know what cool potions we may be covering in our lessons next." She added a wink, hoping to encourage the first year to keep attending lessons and keep striving to learn more. At least until she was old enough to brew and experiment with potions on her own.
Her Polyjuice would maybe taste like cinnamon? The thought brought a smile to Cornelia's face. That certainly was a good taste. A dash of cinnamon was always nice, and she held on to that thought instead of let her mind wander to what happened if there was too much cinnamon. One day someone would would have to give it a go so she could ask.

While the professor put her book away, the first year's mind trailed off to what it would be like looking at someone who looked like her... It would be weird, right? Then again, Dahlia had someone that already looked like her... The thoughts were fleeting, though, as the professor continued on with words of caution. Of course, the Slytherin listened and nodded her head at all the right places. The words went through one ear and out the other though as she was primarily waiting for the names potions that she could brew that weren't too hard for her and wouldn't get her into trouble. Of course Polyjuice was still on the mind, but there was a time and a place for that which simple wasn't right now in this office.

Of the potions that were eventually mentioned, the Strength Potion sounded interesting. The other one was not something she was intrigued by. Her hair was perfect just the way it was, thank you very much. Then, of course, there were lessons, which she was going to attend regardless. Though she had select interests, she was still a good student at the end of the day.

She casually took a few sips of what remained of her tea as she let all of this information settle in her mind. Once the cup was empty, she held it out for the professor to take away. She was eager to start looking into certain potions that had been mentioned, so her visit was nearly up. But, before their time together was all said and done, Cornelia had one more question to ask: "What is your favourite potion? If you don't mind me asking, professor."

Old 02-20-2021, 04:28 PM   #36 (permalink)

DMT & DMLE
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Avalon Sinclair
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Japser Cohen
Magical Creatures

Quote:
Irithel had many interests - too many interests, in fact, that she did not know what she really wanted to do in the future. Was that concerning? Some kids her age already had their whole life planned out and knew which subjects they needed to get good grades in to achieve their goals. She hoped it would be okay for her to focus on experiencing different things for now. Anyway, she was confident that she would have a great career in whichever field she chose. "Yeah, I'd love to make a difference! I'm also interested in a lot of other things like baking, writing and duelling. I don't know what I'll end up doing as a job." The possibilities were endless!

"That was all I wanted to ask, so I guess I should get going. Thanks for your time, Professor Varma," she said and stood up from the colourful chair, ready to leave the colourful dungeon office.
"Oh, well there's certainly no pressure to decide quite yet. That's what these next few years are for," Shreya replied with a warm smile. The girl certainly had lots of interests and held promise for the future. She knew that she would do well in whatever she chose to pursue. And her heart was in the right place, if she wanted to make a difference.

Shreya stood up as well to see Irithel to the door. "Of course, Ms. Rutherford. Anytime." She gave her a friendly wave and opened the door to see her out.

Quote:
Her Polyjuice would maybe taste like cinnamon? The thought brought a smile to Cornelia's face. That certainly was a good taste. A dash of cinnamon was always nice, and she held on to that thought instead of let her mind wander to what happened if there was too much cinnamon. One day someone would would have to give it a go so she could ask.

While the professor put her book away, the first year's mind trailed off to what it would be like looking at someone who looked like her... It would be weird, right? Then again, Dahlia had someone that already looked like her... The thoughts were fleeting, though, as the professor continued on with words of caution. Of course, the Slytherin listened and nodded her head at all the right places. The words went through one ear and out the other though as she was primarily waiting for the names potions that she could brew that weren't too hard for her and wouldn't get her into trouble. Of course Polyjuice was still on the mind, but there was a time and a place for that which simple wasn't right now in this office.

Of the potions that were eventually mentioned, the Strength Potion sounded interesting. The other one was not something she was intrigued by. Her hair was perfect just the way it was, thank you very much. Then, of course, there were lessons, which she was going to attend regardless. Though she had select interests, she was still a good student at the end of the day.

She casually took a few sips of what remained of her tea as she let all of this information settle in her mind. Once the cup was empty, she held it out for the professor to take away. She was eager to start looking into certain potions that had been mentioned, so her visit was nearly up. But, before their time together was all said and done, Cornelia had one more question to ask: "What is your favourite potion? If you don't mind me asking, professor."
Shreya could almost see the wheels turning in the girl's head. She was deep in thought, that was for sure. It was wonderful to see students so interested in the subject matter. Though Shreya did find herself wondering what Cornelia was pondering so deeply.

What was her favorite potion? Hmm, that was an interesting and difficult question. There were so many to choose from. She laughed as she considered the options. "Well, I am fairly partial to amortentia. Not because I particularly enjoy its effects, but because I'm fascinated by its adaptability and uniqueness." Shreya always found it strange how love potions worked, but amortentia was particularly interesting. It evoked scents reminiscent of true love, but it merely caused obsession and infatuation. It was a peculiar brew indeed. "And although it's pretty common, I do enjoy the Wiggenweld potion. Always a good one to have on hand, and it's always a wonderful feeling to help heal someone." She paused to glance at the girl, poised to ask her the same question. "Do you have a favorite so far?"
Old 02-26-2021, 03:20 AM   #37 (permalink)
Zoe

DMAC & DMLE
Runespoor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Logan Paton
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Gillyweed Beery
Slytherin
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tallulah Gamp
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Franklin Paton
Law Enforcement

x8 x8
Bathes in Maple Syrup | Dancing Lobster | Mrs. Charlie Weasley | Seneca's Beard | That's So Fetch

Quote:
Shreya could almost see the wheels turning in the girl's head. She was deep in thought, that was for sure. It was wonderful to see students so interested in the subject matter. Though Shreya did find herself wondering what Cornelia was pondering so deeply.

What was her favorite potion? Hmm, that was an interesting and difficult question. There were so many to choose from. She laughed as she considered the options. "Well, I am fairly partial to amortentia. Not because I particularly enjoy its effects, but because I'm fascinated by its adaptability and uniqueness." Shreya always found it strange how love potions worked, but amortentia was particularly interesting. It evoked scents reminiscent of true love, but it merely caused obsession and infatuation. It was a peculiar brew indeed. "And although it's pretty common, I do enjoy the Wiggenweld potion. Always a good one to have on hand, and it's always a wonderful feeling to help heal someone." She paused to glance at the girl, poised to ask her the same question. "Do you have a favorite so far?"
The wheels were certainly turning in Cornelia's mind. What she was mulling over in her mind went unsaid, however. She was sure a lot of it was something the professor would be more than happy to comment and elaborate on, though the bits about Polyjuice and her decision to later ask the older kids about it probably wouldn't have been received very well.

But the first year certainly was interested in potions. So far, it was one of her favourite classes. The same could not be said for classes like Astronomy and, more often than not, History of Magic.

Her eyes perked up at the mention of two different potions. Amorten-whatever. She didn't know what that potion was, and the woman didn't say anything to help her guess what it was used for. All she knew about it was that it was adaptable and unique. "How so?" she asked without outright saying she hadn't the foggiest clue to what the potion was. As for the other potion, she nodded her head. That one she knew a thing or two about.

She had to think for a moment about her favourite potion. Instantly she thought of the Polyjuice Potion, but figured it wasn't a good idea to say so. Her interest in said potion had been obvious enough. "Maybe the Pepperup Potion. It always help whenever I'm feeling sick. And then my mum uses Skin-Brightening Foundation Potion. She gets it from Ellsberry, and it's pretty useful in helping improve your skin and cover blemishes."

Old 02-27-2021, 03:21 PM   #38 (permalink)

DMT & DMLE
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Avalon Sinclair
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Japser Cohen
Magical Creatures

Quote:
The wheels were certainly turning in Cornelia's mind. What she was mulling over in her mind went unsaid, however. She was sure a lot of it was something the professor would be more than happy to comment and elaborate on, though the bits about Polyjuice and her decision to later ask the older kids about it probably wouldn't have been received very well.

But the first year certainly was interested in potions. So far, it was one of her favourite classes. The same could not be said for classes like Astronomy and, more often than not, History of Magic.

Her eyes perked up at the mention of two different potions. Amorten-whatever. She didn't know what that potion was, and the woman didn't say anything to help her guess what it was used for. All she knew about it was that it was adaptable and unique. "How so?" she asked without outright saying she hadn't the foggiest clue to what the potion was. As for the other potion, she nodded her head. That one she knew a thing or two about.

She had to think for a moment about her favourite potion. Instantly she thought of the Polyjuice Potion, but figured it wasn't a good idea to say so. Her interest in said potion had been obvious enough. "Maybe the Pepperup Potion. It always help whenever I'm feeling sick. And then my mum uses Skin-Brightening Foundation Potion. She gets it from Ellsberry, and it's pretty useful in helping improve your skin and cover blemishes."
It wasn't until after Shreya mentioned amortentia that she realized a first year probably wouldn't be familiar with it. All of her students seemed so astute—it was easy for her to forget that her students weren't as well-versed in potion knowledge yet. "Oh, forgive me for not explaining. Amortentia is a love potion....the most powerful one out there, at that. It's peculiar because it takes on the smell of whatever attracts the person, but it only causes obsession and infatuation—not true love. But the fact that it may smell like a person that the drinker truly loves.....that's what is strange to me." It was complicated, sure. But Shreya often found herself wondering about it. Not that a first year would really care about a love potion, but since she'd asked...Shreya could never turn down a teaching moment.

"You must be a hearty one, then! Many people can't deal with the side effects of the Pepperup Potion," she continued. "It is a wonderful brew, though. We are lucky to have it." Shreya thought briefly to the poor Muggles, who still—after all this time—didn't have a cure for the common cold. But the thought of Muggles reminded her of the Neo-Alliance, which made her a bit upset. Thankfully, she was able to quickly change the subject to another one of her favorite potions—beauty potions.

"Yes, beautifying potions are fascinating. Tell me, Cornelia, do you think your classmates would be interested in a lesson on beauty potions? I've toyed around with the idea but, I don't want it to come across as vain....and I certainly don't want to bore the boys in the class." Shreya always wanted to teach the hair-coloring potion or something of the sort. She even imagined temporarily turning the Potions lab into a salon.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:35 AM   #39 (permalink)
Zoe

DMAC & DMLE
Runespoor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Logan Paton
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Gillyweed Beery
Slytherin
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tallulah Gamp
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Franklin Paton
Law Enforcement

x8 x8
Default Time to wrap this shindig up? :)

Quote:
It wasn't until after Shreya mentioned amortentia that she realized a first year probably wouldn't be familiar with it. All of her students seemed so astute—it was easy for her to forget that her students weren't as well-versed in potion knowledge yet. "Oh, forgive me for not explaining. Amortentia is a love potion....the most powerful one out there, at that. It's peculiar because it takes on the smell of whatever attracts the person, but it only causes obsession and infatuation—not true love. But the fact that it may smell like a person that the drinker truly loves.....that's what is strange to me." It was complicated, sure. But Shreya often found herself wondering about it. Not that a first year would really care about a love potion, but since she'd asked...Shreya could never turn down a teaching moment.

"You must be a hearty one, then! Many people can't deal with the side effects of the Pepperup Potion," she continued. "It is a wonderful brew, though. We are lucky to have it." Shreya thought briefly to the poor Muggles, who still—after all this time—didn't have a cure for the common cold. But the thought of Muggles reminded her of the Neo-Alliance, which made her a bit upset. Thankfully, she was able to quickly change the subject to another one of her favorite potions—beauty potions.

"Yes, beautifying potions are fascinating. Tell me, Cornelia, do you think your classmates would be interested in a lesson on beauty potions? I've toyed around with the idea but, I don't want it to come across as vain....and I certainly don't want to bore the boys in the class." Shreya always wanted to teach the hair-coloring potion or something of the sort. She even imagined temporarily turning the Potions lab into a salon.
Cornelia was definitely one of the astute students; she was a Slytherin after all. But, even so, her eleven year old knowledge was limited at this point. She only knew so much, but that eager mind of hers was ready to be filled up. Already she had learned quite a bit about a number of potions. Her unspoken favourite was still Polyjuice, though she supposed the latest potion that came up was interesting.

She did give the professor a look though. Love potion? Really? That was the woman's favourite one? The first year did have to admit she was curious about the different smells thing. She wanted to know what she would smell, otherwise she didn't care much about the potion. Maybe she would in a few years? Right now, she thought boys were kind of stupid. Though the information about the potion causing obsession and infatuation... well, it made her wonder if Varma had, you know, used it on someone before.

A simple nod was given. Yes, she was a hearty one. It was nice feeling warm and not sick, even if steam ended coming out of her ears for a bit.

But ooooooooooh. What was this? A professor, a grown adult, asking for her advise about what to do for a lesson? She thought about it for a good moment or two, tapping a finger against her chin. It would be a bit vain, yes, but wasn't that what beauty potions were all about? As for the boys... "Some of the boys are into themselves just as much as some of the other girls I know," she replied with a shrug. "Though maybe something that'll help with acne? A lot of older kids have it..."

ANYWAY. "I should probably get going," Cornelia told the professor. "I don't want to take up too much of your time." More like she wanted to go ask some of the older kids about a certain potion.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:40 AM   #40 (permalink)

DMT & DMLE
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Avalon Sinclair
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Japser Cohen
Magical Creatures
Default so sorry i missed this!!

Quote:
Cornelia was definitely one of the astute students; she was a Slytherin after all. But, even so, her eleven year old knowledge was limited at this point. She only knew so much, but that eager mind of hers was ready to be filled up. Already she had learned quite a bit about a number of potions. Her unspoken favourite was still Polyjuice, though she supposed the latest potion that came up was interesting.

She did give the professor a look though. Love potion? Really? That was the woman's favourite one? The first year did have to admit she was curious about the different smells thing. She wanted to know what she would smell, otherwise she didn't care much about the potion. Maybe she would in a few years? Right now, she thought boys were kind of stupid. Though the information about the potion causing obsession and infatuation... well, it made her wonder if Varma had, you know, used it on someone before.

A simple nod was given. Yes, she was a hearty one. It was nice feeling warm and not sick, even if steam ended coming out of her ears for a bit.

But ooooooooooh. What was this? A professor, a grown adult, asking for her advise about what to do for a lesson? She thought about it for a good moment or two, tapping a finger against her chin. It would be a bit vain, yes, but wasn't that what beauty potions were all about? As for the boys... "Some of the boys are into themselves just as much as some of the other girls I know," she replied with a shrug. "Though maybe something that'll help with acne? A lot of older kids have it..."

ANYWAY. "I should probably get going," Cornelia told the professor. "I don't want to take up too much of your time." More like she wanted to go ask some of the older kids about a certain potion.
Shreya chuckled a bit at Cornelia's comment about the boys. True, she had noticed some of the male students stopping in the hallway to check their hair in the armor statues. She even witnessed one of the Slytherins whip out a comb from his sleeve the other day in the corridor. "Right you are. It seems many of them are a bit preoccupied with their appearances, doesn't it? Perhaps they're in need of some beauty potions," she said, drumming her fingers on her desk curiously. An acne potion? That would be interesting. Though Shreya didn't want to offend anyone. Perhaps a hair potion or skin brightening potion might be better accepted. Either way, it was an interesting topic to consider.

"Well, I appreciate your input, Cornelia. You're not taking up too much of my time at all," Shreya said with a smile, getting up from her desk and shaking out her robes a bit to unwrinkle them. "It was a pleasure to speak with you. Please do come back and visit if you have any other questions. Or just need to chat." And Shreya meant it. She adored spending time with her pupils. They were the best part of her day. The professor made her way over to the door, pulling it open for the young Slytherin to see her out.