sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1171 users online including...
Kevinmit , KeithZinue

4 members
1167 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmaster: Kamran Kazmi's Reign > Term 61: May - August 2022

Term 61: May - August 2022 Term Sixty-One: Riddle Me This (Sept 2107 - June 2108)

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 06-27-2022, 09:18 PM

Default Potions Lesson 1 - Jawbind Potion

Javier was only SLIGHTLY late this morning, as he'd been taking care of some business in another part of the school that took a little longer than expected. Only a few minutes though - which was unusual for him, however, but hopefully no one would notice. As he hurried to the classroom and unlocked the door for them all to file in, he took his place at the front of the class and dropped his books on the desk.

"Sorry for the delay everyone - please take your seats and we'll get started soon," he announced.

OOC: Hello hello and welcome to potions! Sorry I'm starting this a bit late - I was EXHAUSTED after this weekend (I got a combined total of maybe 12 hours of sleep over 3 days) and completely crashed when I got home. But I'm well rested now and ready to go! Class will move on in about 24 hours. Remember, this is NOT your first class with Javier so all students will be familiar with him and his classroom rules at this point. As always, nudge me with any questions!

CLASS PROGRESSION:
Question 1 - What would happen if we couldn't speak?
Question 2 - What is the Jawbind potion?
Potion Brewing Time!
Mini Activity
Old 07-01-2022, 04:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

DMAC & DERP
Pygmy Puff

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoenix Marchbanks
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Wiley Whittebrook
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kendra Jordan-Durand
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Gunnar McCarthy-Toussaint
Ecological Protection

x12 x5
Unforgivably Cursed | adultescent

Why would anyone want to use a potion like this? Was Karleigh being too shortsighted? The only reasons she could think of were rather nefarious and she would hope that Professor Hernandez would not teach them such things. Or instruct them on things that she found otherwise useless. She couldn't imagine needing to know or use a potion like this. But maybe he would explain and she was thinking about it all wrong.

Hearing the responses of her peers only furthered Karleigh's thoughts on what this potion was about. She didn't have an answer to expand on what the potion did with her classmates providing enough answers, but she did raise her hand as she had a question. "Professor, what reasons would someone have to brew a potion like this?" Or administer it. Did it have a beneficial use?

______________________don't you worry I'll be fine
_________________________________________________you were good for the plot line
Old 07-01-2022, 10:07 PM   #27 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries
Default Oops, just saw this class, now trying to catch up...

To tell the truth, Professor Hernandez's lateness made Violet feel a strange sense of comradeship with the professor. Not a morning person herself, she could totally understand why one might be running late of a morning, and she told him something of the sort as she greeted him and went to take her place.

But--what would she do if she couldn't speak? Communicating was hard enough as it was, even with speech, which was quite inadequate to express everything one might be wanting to say to others. "Any communication is hard enough--words are really just symbols we use trying to express our thoughts and feelings and like any symbol system, don't do a complete job. But without the ability to speak--I guess people would have to learn other, non-verbal ways to communicate, or start writing everything down." Which would be a very clumsy way to try to communicate, Violet thought--and then there were the people who didn't know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissy Longbottom View Post
"Overall excellent answers everyone. You all touched on the main point - that without our ability to speak, communication is going to be limited, and we have to figure out the best ways to communicate with each other. Some people would probably do better writing out words...others might respond better to miming or signing. It all depends on the person," Javier explained as he began to pace slightly in front of the class.

"Today's potion is, obviously, going to focus on this very scenario. We'll be brewing and testing the Jawbind potion today - can anyone tell me what the Jawbind potion does? And, knowing what it does, how can you attempt to counteract it?" he asked them.
"Well, it induces a form of lockjaw, like the name says. But to counteract it..." Violet paused a minute, trying to gather her thoughts. "It would be difficult on your own, wouldn't it, because you wouldn't be able to talk, so that would limit you to nonverbal spells. But since it's a potion...would taking a bezoar work against it?" Although Violet was thinking her first action would probably be to cast some sort of offensive spell against anyone nearby who she suspected of giving her Jawbind Potion in the first place.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
Dark Force Defense League

DMLE & DIMC
Granian

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Roman Gellar
Slytherin
First Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Arden Toros
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jessica Tomás
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Scott Ferguson
Law Enforcement
x4 x1
A Poop * k8 *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
Mercer was sure that Arden was inviting him to ruffle that bouncy little ponytail on her head, and he dropped his own hair so he could bat at hers. How did it DO that? It was so curly and big. He grinned at Milo and batted at Arden's hair again. "That's Milo. He's my mate. He can travel to another plane."

Now. Something about not being able to talk? Their jaws being STUCK shut? That would be wild. And probably not very fun. "A tetanus shot, I think."
Arden appreciated Mercer’s appreciation for her suuuuper bouncy, curly hair that her inherited from her father. Her father’s hair with sooooomeone’s blonde. Her parents were both brunette…and her grandparents were all brunette. She supposed her great gran Lenora was a blonde…maybe that was where it came from. The thought made her wrinkle her nose in distaste only because she didn’t really like her great-gran Leonora. She was a total lame-o.

“Milo can cross dimensions?” She whispered, not at ALL paying attention until she heard the professor mention some lockjaw potion. WHO had invented that and WHY? What was the purpose of that?! To HARM someone? Arden snooooorted. “Professor. That potion sounds really mean. Why do we have to brew it?”

Roman Gellar ● 1st Year ● Slytherin
Old 07-02-2022, 01:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan (#b8b323)
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post
Aria giggled, having found Hernandez’s response funny. Yes, she drew but usually her sketches were confined to outfit designs and patterns. Now however, she could picture comically drawing Caes. You know what? She’d do that just for the fun of it! He would find it hilarious too. Thanks for the idea, Professor!

The Slytherin made a few jottings of the other answers - the ones that made sense - and in the end, she agreed wholeheartedly with Hernandez: everyone would communicate in the way or ways they chose. She’d choose drawing though she wasn’t good enough beyond fashion related items. Aria waited a beat then lifted a hand, fingers wiggling as usual. “It does exactly as its name says: it causes one’s mouth to be tightly shut.” That meant no speaking, no eating, singing, whatever else. “I think I’d most likely go with Reparifors to counter the effects… would have to have someone else cast it, of course.’’
"Or could you cast it nonverbally?" Javier asked with a small smirk, asking the follow up question to Aria as she brought up a good suggestion. If she felt confident in her nonverbal skills, she could give it a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson View Post
She liked to think she didn’t wear her emotions or thoughts on her sleeves but she tended too. She simply offered a smile in return when he gently closed her hand and patted it. It was weirdly comforting the gesture and she cast her eyes away as she felt oddly emotional. “Thanks At,” she said before looking back at him. He had always been decent to her. He was a good friend.

Professor Hernandez’s response earned a smile from her. “That’s true. Still would be hard to communicate, Sir.” She then proceeded to listen to her peer’s point of views. Her eyebrows raised a little when he discussed the lesson’s topic. The Jawbind Potion?

She nodded in agreement to Aria. “Causes Lockjaw,” she summarized briefly and then gave pause at the second question. She’d certainly panic at first. “I’d panic at first and think through a list of solutions. I’d find something to write on so I can communicate with other people to help me find the solution whether it be charm or antidote. Is there an antidote for it?
"No antidote, BUT the good news is that even the most perfectly brewed potions do not last more than an hour or two," Javier explained, hoping to put anyone's worried minds at ease. No one was going to be using it to completely incapacitate someone any time soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
Mercer was sure that Arden was inviting him to ruffle that bouncy little ponytail on her head, and he dropped his own hair so he could bat at hers. How did it DO that? It was so curly and big. He grinned at Milo and batted at Arden's hair again. "That's Milo. He's my mate. He can travel to another plane."

Now. Something about not being able to talk? Their jaws being STUCK shut? That would be wild. And probably not very fun. "A tetanus shot, I think."
"Sadly a tetanus shot would not do anything to help in this situation," Javier said with a small chuckle. Not only would it do nothing to undo the potion, but vaccines didn't work that way. It was a PREVENTATIVE thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Why would anyone want to use a potion like this? Was Karleigh being too shortsighted? The only reasons she could think of were rather nefarious and she would hope that Professor Hernandez would not teach them such things. Or instruct them on things that she found otherwise useless. She couldn't imagine needing to know or use a potion like this. But maybe he would explain and she was thinking about it all wrong.

Hearing the responses of her peers only furthered Karleigh's thoughts on what this potion was about. She didn't have an answer to expand on what the potion did with her classmates providing enough answers, but she did raise her hand as she had a question. "Professor, what reasons would someone have to brew a potion like this?" Or administer it. Did it have a beneficial use?
"Maybe someone decided they were sick of listening to their sibling and wanted a way to keep them quiet for a few hours," Javier replied with a small shrug. "The truth is, many times the origins of these potions are unknown. Maybe someone stumbled upon it accidentally. They were trying to make something else and ended up with this instead. Either way, just as with any other spell or potion, we can often get creative with our uses when it comes to potions like this," he explained. He'd picked this potion because it sounded like it could be an interesting activity to see how the kids approached this particular potion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlice View Post
To tell the truth, Professor Hernandez's lateness made Violet feel a strange sense of comradeship with the professor. Not a morning person herself, she could totally understand why one might be running late of a morning, and she told him something of the sort as she greeted him and went to take her place.

But--what would she do if she couldn't speak? Communicating was hard enough as it was, even with speech, which was quite inadequate to express everything one might be wanting to say to others. "Any communication is hard enough--words are really just symbols we use trying to express our thoughts and feelings and like any symbol system, don't do a complete job. But without the ability to speak--I guess people would have to learn other, non-verbal ways to communicate, or start writing everything down." Which would be a very clumsy way to try to communicate, Violet thought--and then there were the people who didn't know how to write.

"Well, it induces a form of lockjaw, like the name says. But to counteract it..." Violet paused a minute, trying to gather her thoughts. "It would be difficult on your own, wouldn't it, because you wouldn't be able to talk, so that would limit you to nonverbal spells. But since it's a potion...would taking a bezoar work against it?" Although Violet was thinking her first action would probably be to cast some sort of offensive spell against anyone nearby who she suspected of giving her Jawbind Potion in the first place.
"Unfortunately not, as this isn't a poison - just a potion with an unfortunate side effect," he told her with a small nod.
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayquilz View Post

Arden appreciated Mercer’s appreciation for her suuuuper bouncy, curly hair that her inherited from her father. Her father’s hair with sooooomeone’s blonde. Her parents were both brunette…and her grandparents were all brunette. She supposed her great gran Lenora was a blonde…maybe that was where it came from. The thought made her wrinkle her nose in distaste only because she didn’t really like her great-gran Leonora. She was a total lame-o.

“Milo can cross dimensions?” She whispered, not at ALL paying attention until she heard the professor mention some lockjaw potion. WHO had invented that and WHY? What was the purpose of that?! To HARM someone? Arden snooooorted. “Professor. That potion sounds really mean. Why do we have to brew it?”
"A few reasons," Javier began in response to Arden's question. "For one, it's a very precise potion, so it's good to help you work on your brewing technique. And two, it IS rather mean - which means someone could use it against you. Wouldn't you want to think about how you might counteract it if you're ever faced with it?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. "Potion making isn't just about BREWING the potion - it's also thinking about the applications of each potion, and knowing how to counteract them."

"Excellent answers everyone - and now, without further ado, let's start gathering our materials and making our potion. Here is the recipe, and as you can see I've prepared all your ingredients on the side table," he said, nodding at the nearby long table at the edge of the classroom. Good thing he'd done that this morning before he'd headed off to run a few more errands, which had clearly taken longer than anticipated. He waved his wand and the recipe appeared on the blackboard behind him.

Quote:
Jawbind Potion Ingredients

-5 cups of distilled water
-Snakeweed leaves (one handful should be plenty)
-One 3 mL vial of dragon claw ooze
-1 Adder's fork (tongue of an Adder snake)
-2 strips of Wiggentree bark

1. Clean out your cauldron and set your flame to high heat. Fill the cauldron with 5 cups of distilled water and bring to a boil.

2. Add 5 pinches of Snakeweed leaves to your mortar and ground them down to a fine mixture. Once done, add to potion and bring heat down to a low flame.

3. Add 10 drops of dragon claw ooze to potion and stir counter clockwise six times over the course of 1 minute. If done correctly the potion should start turning a faint yellow color. Allow potion to simmer for 3 minutes.

4. Once 3 minutes have passed, add 1 forked Adder tongue to the potion and allow it to dissolve before stirring. You will know it has dissolved completely when the potion changes from light yellow to bright orange - roughly 5 minutes total. Stir ten times clockwise.

5. While waiting for the Adder's fork to dissolve in the previous step, take your strips of Wiggentree Bark and cut them into 5 centimeter wide strips. Length is not of concern. You should get roughly 2-4 strips pieces per strip.

6. Add each strip of Wiggentree bark to your cauldron, stirring 4 times clockwise after adding each strip. Potion should now be a lime green color.

7. Add 2 teaspoons of powdered lionfish spine and 2 additional Snakeweed leaves to your cauldron in immediate succession. Stir clockwise 5 times.

8. Wave your wand over the cauldron and say the activation charm "Clausum". Potion should turn from lime green to dark blue and begin to start smoking.

Your potion is now ready to use. One serving of the potion is roughly 10mLs, and the affects of the potion last for approximately 30 minutes.
"I'll give you about 30 minutes to get your potions brewed before we test them out," he announced with a smile. "If you have any questions, please let me know, I'll be here," he added before letting them loose to get started.

OOC: Here is our main activity everyone - potion brewing! I'll give you about 48 hours to get your potion done, if you have any questions let me know and put something in the title of your post so I see it. Thanks and have fun!!

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid
Old 07-02-2022, 01:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
WWW & Potterdom Mod
Newbie Mod

DMLE & DIMC
Wrackspurt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Dhruv Vihaan Khanna
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aryan Atreyu-Rehman
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nova Leigh Paton
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Brody Hawthorne-Melo

x12 x12
~ Mrs. Steve Harrington ~ It be like that sometimes.

Aria shook her head with a grin. “Nonverbal spells aren’t my thing, professor.” Maybe someday? Maybe not? Learning nonverbal spells really wasn’t on her list of ambitions at the moment. What she happened to be interested in though, was Karleigh’s question. There were a few potions that the Slytherin thought were generally useless and mainly suited for pranks. This seemed like one of them. Still! Aria was going to brew it to perfection.

Prepared ingredients were always helpful; truly nice of Hernandez to do this for them. The girl collected what was required from the table then got down to business. The cauldron was magically cleaned before five cups of the distilled water were added. With the use of Incendio, the burner was lit for the water to boil. The mortar and pestle too were cleaned; five pinches of the Snakeweed leaves added. Keeping an eye on the cauldron, Aria began to get the leaves grounded. She kept at it until the contents of the mortar were rather fine. Satisfied with this, and with the water boiling now, the powder was added to the cauldron then the heat was adjusted to a low flame.

With her dropper, ten drops of the dragon ooze {Ewww} before she grabbed the stirrer. Every ten seconds {yes, a rather close eye was kept on her watch} Aria stirred the contents of the cauldron one time counterclockwise. It was with bated breath that she waited for it to turn faint yellow.

IT DID!!!

Whooping softly to herself, the Slytherin set the timer for three minutes during which the potion would simmer.

The ones in books who are as perfect as they can be.🌺🌺🌺
Old 07-02-2022, 02:00 PM   #31 (permalink)

Wizarding World RPG Admin
Minister for Magic

DoM & MO

Alley Proprietor
Romanian Longhorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mitsuki Rasting
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Anna Walles
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Charles Hollingberry
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Airey Flamsteed
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Zachaël Lufkin
Owl Post

x12 x12
astronomizzle ♧ gryffinDORK | & the rest is drag ♣ #badluckDerf

To be honest, he still was not used to the nickname - At. The only other nickname he had really received was from Remy and that was not exactly the sort one wanted to be known as. Unless you were a fan of flobberworms...which Atlas was not. So...he had briefly anticipated Lisa adding to her thoughts...until it was clear she wasn't.

At. Right. Short for Atlas. Right right.

Aaaaaaaaaand Atlas was already not entirely excited about today's lesson, specifically that it felt like this particular potion served no purpose other than to...well...rob someone of their voice and cause discomfort. His eyes shifted to Karleigh when she asked her question, the professor's response...discouraging and, if he were a different Gryffindor, enabling. Maybe if you filled a water balloon with the potion and, assuming you had better aim, threw it at your opponent it might be useful in a duel. The Potion's Master's response to Arden did not entirely inspire either...but, well, Atlas and his opinions were silenced without the potion's assistance. But, all that aside, it was time to see just how badly he would mess up this potion and would he or wouldn't he blow up his cauldron?

Quill out and posture more slouched with his legs sticking forward with heels to the floor and toes in the air, Atlas first set to writing down the instructions on his parchment so as to avoid the rush of people moving to gather their ingredients. Once done, the fifth year stood and spun around his chair to move to gather his ingredients, the sleeve of his robes brushing over the still wet ink on his parchment, and carefully picked up what he needed and returned to his seat and arranged the ingredients in order of use before setting to clean his cauldron and get his burner going.

Fire spells. Those he was pretty ace at. Cleaning too.

Satisfied with his cleaning efforts, zero dust, Atlas added the water and sat back to wait for it to come to a boil...though he tried not to watch it. A watched cauldron never boils, after all.

When youre stuck in a moment and your spark has been stolen .................................................. ...........
this is our time to own it, so own it.....................................
baby we were born with fire and gold in our eyes
Old 07-02-2022, 09:52 PM   #32 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Violet had copied the instructions, collected her ingredients, cleaned her cauldron, and set the flame to going on high in record time. Brewing was becoming second nature to her. Teachers and friends were encouraging her to go into that as a profession, indeed, some people seemed to assume that was what she was doing, but Violet was not quite sure yet that was what she wanted to do. She had wanted to discuss it with Jane over the winter holidays, but her ex-governess had not been easy to engage in conversation. She mulled all this over as she ground the Snakeweed leaves into a powder.

Once the water reached a boil, Violet interrupted her reverie to add the powdered leaves to her cauldron and turn it down to low. She added the 10 drops of dragon claw ooze (which she handled without a qualm, having become so used to unusual ingredients that she barely gave them a second thought now) and once she spent the next minute stirring the potion 6 times counter closkwise, she saw that it had indeed turned the desired faint yellow. After 3 minutes, she added the Adder's tongue, then began methodically cutting her Wiggentree Bark into strips. While she did this, she began to think again about Jane Howard's recent strange behavior. Quite her usual cool and methodical self, Miss Howard had seemed agitated and her conversation somewhat illogical. She also drank quite a lot of water--Violet wondered if she was perhaps ill or something; yes, that might account for it. Still, it was a pity her friend had to be under the weather during the one time a year Violet had a chance to sit down and really talk with her.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:43 AM   #33 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

Cross dimensions? Yeah... yeah, that sounded about right. Mercer nodded once as he dragged his cauldron out and set it on top of the work station. "I go with him sometimes. I mean, I sit there and pretend to be a bird flying over his head, but I"m not sure that I'm really there. Do you suppose I"m really there?"

Mercer peered into his cauldron to make sure he hadn't left any socks in there this time, and then he went ahead and measured out the five cups of water. Funny how a wand couldn't make food but could make water. Ugh, no. He had to heat the cauldron and THEN add the water. "Evanesco," he disappeared the water and THEN lit the fire. And THEN added the water again. Now he was thirsty from all that water, and he considered dipping into the cauldron for a sip. Only, he didn't want to start over again, or get lip germs in his water... so later.

The water was heating up, and Mercer turned his attention to his snakeweed. The leaves were already kind of crumbly, and they fell to pieces into his mortar as he measured them out in pinches. Barely needed any grinding. He tossed the leaves in, grimacing as he realized it hadn't quiiiite made it to boil yet. Super hot, though, and he wasn't starting over. He took a face full of steam as he peered into the cauldron... and then turned it down to low. Back on track.

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest
Old 07-03-2022, 05:19 AM   #34 (permalink)

DMLE & DIMC
Granian

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Roman Gellar
Slytherin
First Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Arden Toros
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jessica Tomás

Ministry RPG Name:
Scott Ferguson
Law Enforcement
x4 x1
A Poop * k8 *

Arden found Javier’s reply kind of sassy. She almost made a face in response, too, but her mam would have thought that was very rude, and so Arden just kind nodded and when he looked away made her face of exasperation. Why were adults soooooooooOo grumpy sometimes? Wasn’t being an adult so free? Arden couldn’t understand. Her dad was cool, but her mam?! She was like one of the grumpiest grumps to ever live in a rubbish bin! Oscar the grouch WHO?!

She ALSO wanted to reply that if they were to counteract it, wouldn’t it be better to like, learn the potion to counteract it?! But whatever. Maybe Hernandez was secretly a villain building a potential army. Was he vetting them? Arden knew she wouldn’t make it in any army, good or evil. She might as well just tell him that now.

Arden was also now WAY more interested in Mercer’s story about Milo being able to cross through DIMENSIONS. Woooooooow! “Wait - are you telling me he can meet other me’s out there in the other universes?!’ She whispered frantically. In another universe was she as chaos? Could she focus in other universes?! Did she need potions to focus in other universes???? All valid questions.

Speaking of focus, Arden was sudddenly lost even before she began, and she supposed she should squint at the board for a little while and follow directions. Easily what she was worst at. “Professor, can messing up a potion while brewing it ever like…kill you? Like REALLY kill you?” She asked, her tone a bit naive as she went to collect her ingredients.

Roman Gellar ● 1st Year ● Slytherin
Old 07-03-2022, 01:38 PM   #35 (permalink)

DMAC & DMLE
Bicorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Scarlett Mordaunt
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brenna Kavanaugh
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Sophie Mordaunt
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Matthew Meriwether
Law Enforcement

x8 x4
Arts TRANSPONSTER!

It was fitting they were brewing a Potion that made people not talk much, as that day Scarlett wasn't really in a chatty mood. She had a tune playing in her mind and was more interested in bopping her head to that than doing any kind of small talk. She even didn't really bother answering the professor's questions - not that she always did anyway, it usually depended on her mood.

Stiiiill, she was up for brewing Potions. That was normally kind of fun and she was accurate enough to get it right most of the time. Not that she minded having things explode, that could be fun too.

Anyhow, brewing time it was.

The Hufflepuff found it helpful to have all the instructions on the board as that meant she could continue with the tune playing in her head instead of having to concentrate on whatever was being said by the professor. And all the ingredients already set out for them to simply use them? Even MORE helpful. What a nice class this was!

Getting her wand out, Scarlett first cleaned her cauldron even before reading that the instructions called for that. Checking what it said next, she lit the fire underneath the cauldron and set it to high. She then added the five cups of distilled water aaaaaand... waited for it to boil.

Which meant she kicked her legs for a bit as the tune continued to play in her head. It took her a moment before she decided to read the next step. Oh wait, she could do that while waiting for the water to boil. Handy.

Adding the snakeweed leaves into her mortar, she calmly started crushing them as her head continued to bop now from side to side. Crush, crush, crush. Crush, crush, crush. She was in no rush as the water was still only starting to boil, and the fourth year eventually poured the ground content into her cauldron, giving the mortar a little shake to make sure everything was in her Potion.

Bringing the heat down to low, she looked up again to read the next lot of instructions. Mmmmmmmmmmm, ehhhhh... it seemed like a lot of slowness and waiting was about to ensue. It wasn't her favourite thing, but she could do it. Eh.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 drops of dragon claw ooze in, Scarlett took her stirrer, gave it a clean with a spell before starting to stir the mix. She tried to do one counterclockwise stir every 10 seconds or so, which was slightly annoying as she had to stop the tune in her head playing for a bit. Eehhhhhh. Stir... 10 seconds... stir... 10 seconds... She used her left hand fingers to help her keep track of how many times she had done it. She lazily watched her Potion as she did it, and was glad to see that it did indeed start to turn the faint yellow that the instructions mentioned by the time she stirred it the 6th and final time.

Nice.

Boring, but nice.

And now she waited three minutes.

So the tune restarted in her mind along with the head bopping.

Maybe you'll dance, scour the buffet, or end up gossiping talking amongst yourselves!
You're happy to go with the flow and see where the Yule Ball takes you!
Old 07-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
WWW & Potterdom Mod
Newbie Mod

DMLE & DIMC
Wrackspurt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Dhruv Vihaan Khanna
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aryan Atreyu-Rehman
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nova Leigh Paton
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Brody Hawthorne-Melo

x12 x12
Default Professor ^_^

The timer dinged before Aria knew it. This meant it was time to move onto the next step. Wrinkling her face in disgust, the adder tongue was added to the cauldron. She watched as it lay there in the water but knew it would be some time before it dissolved. UGH! Some potion ingredients were just… nasty. She probably wore that disgusted expression until the tongue was fully dissolved and the potion transformed into a bright orange shade, even as she worked on the Wiggentree Bark. They were carefully cut into five centimeter-wide strips. When she was done, she had six pieces in total, three from each strip.

And look! The adder’s tongue had dissolved and the potion was now the correct colour. That meant the ten clockwise stirs could be done, which Aria completed. “Professor?” The fifth year raised her hand, fingers wiggling as usual. “The number of pieces of Wiggentree bark to be added wouldn’t matter? I have six pieces after cutting the strips into five centimeter pieces but someone else could have four pieces or seven pieces…” Did Hernandez see what she was getting at?

Old 07-03-2022, 10:31 PM   #37 (permalink)

Book Club Mod

Alley Proprietor

MO & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Charlie Upstead
Gryffindor
Second Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Regulus Prince
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Daxton Prince
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Nikolai Kaiser
Minister's Office

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ezekiel Ransom-Kruus
Ollivanders
x12 x12
Lovely™ | Captain Hurted | Ariana's Bane | Resident Antagonist | Unparalleled Delight

Milo had seen Mercer, returned his wave with a finger-splayed hand-raise of his own, but he couldn't entirely grasp his meaning regarding the hair situation. Not that it mattered; with the very many portents all around at every turn these days, there was a good chance they would meet in the middle.

Behold. When Arden Toros waved at him too, Milo - who could, would, and often did cross dimensions - found himself riddled with suspicion and other such feelings he had never been very good at naming. He blinked hard a few times, quietly clattered his teeth against each other, and turned his attention instead to scraping the soot from the outside of his cauldron with his fingernails.

Milo only looked up again when it was time to work, but in those moments of quiet reflection he had already resolved to do what he often did. It wasn't enough to brew the intended potions simply by closely following the instructions, the potions equivalent to copying paragraphs as text (as far as Milo, in his thirteen-year-old wisdom, was concerned). Mr Hernandez himself liked to emphasise the importance of brewing technique and really knowing potions, which Milo could easily spin to himself as encouragement to engage experimental learning. The only kind worth anything.

As the brewing period of the lesson commenced, Milo sat quietly, mulling over the instructions for the potion and perusing the ingredients and equipment available to him in his potions kit. Requesting anything else would draw attention and put an end to his efforts far too early. Milo was not oblivious to the fact that that was likely to happen just as soon as Mr Hernandez noticed what he was doing, so the idea was simply to avoid his notice for as long as possible. Easily accomplished by remaining quiet and unobtrusive.

With ideas tumbling through his head one after the other, Milo finally retrieved the ingredients set out, returned to clean his cauldron and light the flame beneath it, and added the water. While that boiled, he lined up his ingredients in the order that he would need to use them... surreptitiously supplementing them using his own stores as he did so. This entire endeavour had two more benefits: 1. Milo was engaged and thus less likely to drift into the ether without realising, and 2. the roiling in his chest faded swiftly away, as did the ill-fated temptation to attempt parsing it.

You are Chocolate!
Old 07-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #38 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

Class was quiet, which Javier was SURE meant they were all working diligently and not daydreaming about nefarious ways to use this potion, right? Well, he was about to find out, because it was time for the testing portion of the class - was he going to regret this as an educator? Hopefully not!

"Ok class - if you're still brewing your potion, keep going. If you're done, partner up with someone - ideally someone you don't communicate with on a regular basis, to make this bit a little more difficult," he said with a grin.

"Once you're partnered up, drink one serving of your completed potion and try to say something to your partner. It can be any sort of phrase. For example..." Javier paused and reached into his desk drawer to get a sampling of his OWN Jawbind potion he'd brewed a few days earlier. He took a swig and waited, feeing the tense muscles in his jaw lock into place.

"Ddddd uuhhh nnnoo I cooooon cuuuuuu tooooooo unnnn hunnhunn un sssshshhh?"

Once that was done, he waved his wand to relieve the effects of the potion - a spell that normally wouldn't work, but he'd altered the recipe a little so that it would work in an educational setting - so no worries if anyone was scared they'd be stuck with lock jaw all day! "What I was saying, or TRYING to say, was 'did you know I can count to 100 in Spanish?' which, I would imagine is probably not anywhere close to what you thought I was saying," he added with a grin. "Think of it kind of like that muggle game they have where they pull your cheeks back with a plastic contraption and you have to guess what they're trying to say. For your partner, write out what you think they were trying to say, and at the end of class when I reverse the effects of the potion we'll see how close you were!"

"Naturally, were this a real life scenario, you'd probably all try and write out what you were saying, or act it out - but this is just a fun activity so try to grunt out your words and see how well you can get your meaning across! You have until the end of class to finish this part up. Have fun - and keep it appropriate please,"
That was implied, right? Right. "If you're having trouble finding a partner or would just prefer to NOT work with a partner, come find me, I'll help you out."

OOC: Ok everyone, mini activity time! Like Javier said this is more just a fun little exercise to test out your potions and get a little silly with things. You have until class closes at 9 PM CDT July 6th, so over 48 hours, and you can still work on finishing your potion if need be. As Javi said if you don't want to do this activity with a partner that's totally cool, just put a message to me in the title of your post, he'll come work with you!

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid
Old 07-04-2022, 06:07 PM   #39 (permalink)
WWW & Potterdom Mod
Newbie Mod

DMLE & DIMC
Wrackspurt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Dhruv Vihaan Khanna
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aryan Atreyu-Rehman
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nova Leigh Paton
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Brody Hawthorne-Melo

x12 x12
Default Partner? ^_^

Aria threw Arden a glance. Um… so the Slytherin would just continue, yeah? She guessed the number of bark pieces wouldn’t matter then…

She added the first five centimeter-wide strip. Four clockwise stirs followed. This step was repeated five more times. Only then did the potion turn to the lime green colour. So far, it all seemed to be going Aria’s way. So why was she eyeing her potion suspiciously? Now for the powdered lionfish spine - two teaspoons of that found their way into the mixture quickly followed by two Snakeweed leaves. Now for the clockwise stirs: one, two, three, four, five!

The fifth year reached for her wand. “Clausum!’’ The wand was waved over the cauldron and the girl narrowed her eyes as she waited for the colour change. Yes, there was the dark blue shade. There was the smoke. She stepped back a bit to avoid the latter.

Eventually, 10ml of the potion was measured out and Aria turned her attention to her classmates. “Partner, anyone?!” she called cheerfully, waving her vial around in a rather enthusiastic manner.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:00 PM   #40 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries
Default Looking for a partner

Once the Adder's tongue had finally dissolved, Violet began methodically adding strip after strip of Wiggentree bark, stirring 4 times clockwise after each one, and carefuly examining the color of her potion after each one, until she saw it turn just the right shade of lime green (a nice Slytherin colour!) She had the Lionfish spine and Snakewood leaves at the ready, added them, and stirred clockwise for the last 5 times. And now, it was showtime! Picking up her wand, she waved it over her cauldron, said the incantation "Clausum" in a firm confident voice, and waited until the potion did indeed turn a dark blue and begin to smoke, faintly at first but soon it was smoking at a pretty good clip. Good. Not to be over-confident, but Violet had had no doubts that the potion would work--she had been brewing successfully long enough that, unless interfered with by somone or something (yes, Machiavelli Magpie, I'm talking to you!), they nearly always turn out right now.

Violet extinguished the flame, set the cauldron aside to cool, and began looking around for a likely partner to test it (something she was not looking forward to--not being able to talk was even worse than not being able to move, and she had definitely not enjoyed that in previous lessons).
Old 07-04-2022, 09:28 PM   #41 (permalink)

DMAC & DMLE
Bicorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Scarlett Mordaunt
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brenna Kavanaugh
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Sophie Mordaunt
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Matthew Meriwether
Law Enforcement

x8 x4
Default Finishing the Potion - not sure if I'll keep up, so won't partner up just in case!
Arts TRANSPONSTER!

Once the simmering time was up, Scarlett added the adder's tongue whichhhhhh was forked. She watched the mixture in her cauldron change colour while still bopping her head and kicking her legs slightly. Five minutes felt like a looooOOOOoooooOOOoong time... it was a good thing the tune in her head was fun and upbeat. Kept her entertained. Still. MERLIN, that was a long time to wait just sitting there.

She was not a fan.

It had also been a good thing that she had looked up and around the room while she waited, otherwise she would've missed the whole step of getting some things prepped while the adder tongue dissolved. That would've been even MORE waiting in total. Eek. No, thanks.

The girl started to cut the Wiggentree bark into strips. That wasn't the most fun job out there, but it was better than just sitting there waiting.

Bright orange, finally! The Hufflepuff was done cutting the bark, so she stirred the Potion ten times... clockwise. Phew, good thing she checked before actually moving the stirrer. She was not up for waiting that time again if she had to start over. Yeeeeah, that was NOT going to happen.

Adding one strip of bark, Scarlett stirred the Potion four times clockwise. She repeated this process a few times until all os the strips she had cut were added aaaaaand waited - again - to see what colour her Potion would turn now.

Tun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-- LIME GREEN, yay. Good. Again, she was not about to restart the whole thing in case anything went wrong, so hooray, right colour!

Next, the fourth year added two teaspoons of powdered lionfish spine immediately followed by two additional snakeweed leaves as the instructions told her to. She stirred it clockwise agaaaaaain, this time... five times.

Nearly done, yay. Getting her wand once again, Scarlett waved it over her cauldron. "Clausum." She said without practicing first. Ehh, she had done a lot of waiting already and, honestly, spells weren't that hard anyway. She was pleased yet not really surprised her Potion went from lime green to dark blue before it started smoking. Spells were the easiest part of Potion-making for her, really.

Maybe you'll dance, scour the buffet, or end up gossiping talking amongst yourselves!
You're happy to go with the flow and see where the Yule Ball takes you!
Old 07-05-2022, 07:32 PM   #42 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayquilz View Post
Arden found Javier’s reply kind of sassy. She almost made a face in response, too, but her mam would have thought that was very rude, and so Arden just kind nodded and when he looked away made her face of exasperation. Why were adults soooooooooOo grumpy sometimes? Wasn’t being an adult so free? Arden couldn’t understand. Her dad was cool, but her mam?! She was like one of the grumpiest grumps to ever live in a rubbish bin! Oscar the grouch WHO?!

She ALSO wanted to reply that if they were to counteract it, wouldn’t it be better to like, learn the potion to counteract it?! But whatever. Maybe Hernandez was secretly a villain building a potential army. Was he vetting them? Arden knew she wouldn’t make it in any army, good or evil. She might as well just tell him that now.

Arden was also now WAY more interested in Mercer’s story about Milo being able to cross through DIMENSIONS. Woooooooow! “Wait - are you telling me he can meet other me’s out there in the other universes?!’ She whispered frantically. In another universe was she as chaos? Could she focus in other universes?! Did she need potions to focus in other universes???? All valid questions.

Speaking of focus, Arden was sudddenly lost even before she began, and she supposed she should squint at the board for a little while and follow directions. Easily what she was worst at. “Professor, can messing up a potion while brewing it ever like…kill you? Like REALLY kill you?” She asked, her tone a bit naive as she went to collect her ingredients.
Now that he had introduced the main activity, Javier back tracked a smidge to address some questions that had popped up. "In this class? No. Almost everything I teach is so non-lethal that even if you were to do every step incorrectly the most that would happen would be some nasty stomach symptoms," he explained. "Even the more dangerous ones I always tweak a little before introducing them to you so that doesn't happen. Now, if you were at the university level, it is very important to be extra careful - you could seriously hurt yourself and yes, even cause death if you're careless."

Quote:
The timer dinged before Aria knew it. This meant it was time to move onto the next step. Wrinkling her face in disgust, the adder tongue was added to the cauldron. She watched as it lay there in the water but knew it would be some time before it dissolved. UGH! Some potion ingredients were just… nasty. She probably wore that disgusted expression until the tongue was fully dissolved and the potion transformed into a bright orange shade, even as she worked on the Wiggentree Bark. They were carefully cut into five centimeter-wide strips. When she was done, she had six pieces in total, three from each strip.

And look! The adder’s tongue had dissolved and the potion was now the correct colour. That meant the ten clockwise stirs could be done, which Aria completed. “Professor?” The fifth year raised her hand, fingers wiggling as usual. “The number of pieces of Wiggentree bark to be added wouldn’t matter? I have six pieces after cutting the strips into five centimeter pieces but someone else could have four pieces or seven pieces…” Did Hernandez see what she was getting at?
"Good question," Javier said with a smile, noticing that Aria had already moved on but it was a good question nonetheless. "The bark is more of a binding agent than anything else, so yes, quantity does not really matter. If something ever IS of importance like that I would be more precise with the instructions," he explained.

Once that was done, he started to pace around the room, just to see how everyone was doing. A few students were moving on to the last bit, so he imagined they'd be heading to the partner portion pretty soon. His offer was still here in case anyone needed it!

Old 07-05-2022, 08:49 PM   #43 (permalink)

Book Club Mod

Alley Proprietor

MO & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Charlie Upstead
Gryffindor
Second Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Regulus Prince
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Daxton Prince
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Nikolai Kaiser
Minister's Office

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ezekiel Ransom-Kruus
Ollivanders
x12 x12
Lovely™ | Captain Hurted | Ariana's Bane | Resident Antagonist | Unparalleled Delight

Paying little attention to those around him, Milo added the snakeweed leaves that he had spent the last few minutes grinding down. He dropped in the dragon claw ooze next, then picked up the stirrer. Up until that point, he had followed the regular instructions, but...

Six times over the course of one minute, so ten seconds per stir if done equally across the full sixty seconds, and all anti-clockwise, but if he just... Milo paused, trying to run the numbers in his head, but mental arithmetic had never been a strong point of his. He scribbled on a scrap of parchment instead, before straightening and lowering the stirrer into the liquid. Brow furrowed ever so slightly, he did his best to count seven and a half seconds for a single anti-clockwise stir, and then another, and then a third... then a fourth, only clockwise this time. He repeated the process again, until he'd passed one full minute, with eight stirs rather than six.

Milo had had no idea exactly what to expect from his changes to the stirring, was operating on instinct and a vague 'what does this button do' kind of curiosity, which had seen him through life so far. His potion-in-progress was not the faint yellow the original instructions indicated, but a very obnoxious, bright yellow. He set down the stirrer, and began preparing the next ingredients, allowing his mind to drift to whatever destination it saw fit.

Perhaps it was for the best that he did not hear the instruction to partner up, and instead continued working on his potion, the safety of which he could not be certain. Although it seemed he did hear Mr Hernandez, or at least some part of his consciousness did, because as he carefully shredded leaves of knotgrass (his own addition) Milo became aware of a growing sense of unease tied inexorably to the potion master's words.

He kept his head bowed, and lost himself in the shredding of foliage.

You are Chocolate!
Old 07-06-2022, 12:36 AM   #44 (permalink)

DMLE
Mooncalf

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Octavius Jude Salander
Ravenclaw
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Arabella Morgenstern
Law Enforcement
Slytherindor ♛ The Crazytastic Besties ♛ Shan Watson ♛

SPOILER!!: ketchup!
So there wasn’t an antidote BUT the potion wasn’t permanent? That was … somewhat… good news, she thought, as she listened to the Professor discuss the other answers presented. Once the class had shared their thoughts, she watched as the Professor moved on to explain how to create the Jawbind Potion. She took her quill, jotting down the ingredients first in her notebook before readying her ingredients.

Lisa went to gather the ingredients that the Professor had already laid out. “Thanks,” she said. He was saving them the very first step she would have done which was measure and inspect all of her ingredients. So with that step done, she cast a cleaning spell with her wand at the cauldron. Cauldron cleanliness was the first step in making the perfect potion. That was the critical first step of potion making that she had learned in her first year here.

Next she set the flame to high heat and promptly added the five cups of distilled water to the cauldron. While she waited for that to boil, she began prepping the next ingredients. Gently pinching the Snakeweed leaves, she picked them up and added five punches to the mortar. With her pestle, she began grinding them down. She found that she had to think of a song in her head to keep herself going until the leaves were a fine mixture.

Glancing over the check her cauldron, she noticed that very fine bubbles were about to appear. Lisa waited a minute longer until the bubbles were harder and then she added the fine mixture of leaves and then lowered the heat to a small flame.

After consulting her notebook, she grabbed the pipette. Ah. 10 drops of dragon claw ooze… She crinkled her nose as she examined this ingredient. Yum… appetizing… Not. She took a pipette and added ten drops. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. Done. Lisa set a timer for a minute and then proceeded to stir the mixture six times counterclockwise. As she got to the fifth stir, she noticed the liquid turn colour and gain a light yellow hue. After the sixth stir, she then reset her timer for three minutes for it to simmer. Then she went to clean up her ingredients that she had used prior.

The timer went off and she then added the next ingredient. One Adder’s fork. She promptly dropped it into her cauldron and watched it dissolve. At least it was interesting to watch the slight change in hue from yellow to more and more orange as the fork dissolved. It was a slow transition so she began prepping the next ingredient. She took the Wiggentree bark and proceeds to cut it into smaller stripes. She produced four strips. Putting the strips to the side, she checked the colour of the potion. Now that the potion was fully orange, she moved on to the next task at hand. Stir ten times clockwise. And so she did.

Then she added one strip at a time and stirred four times clockwise. She tried not to let her mind be distracted by previous thoughts but she couldn’t help and look up from her station to watch Serena. This was not the time to get distracted, she told herself. Then she refocused on adding the strips and stirring until her potion was a lime green.

The next two steps she moved quickly through. Two teaspoons of lip fish spine were added promptly followed by the addition of two Snakeweed leaves. Then she stirred the potion clockwise five times. Placing her wand over the potion, she waved it and said, “Clausum.” At first, she didn’t see a change so she readied herself to do it again but before she could pronounce the words, she noticed that the potion had changed colours. It was now a lovely smokey , dark blue, and was actively smoking.

SPOILER!!:
ingredients:
-5 cups of distilled water
-Snakeweed leaves (one handful should be plenty)
-One 3 mL vial of dragon claw ooze
-1 Adder's fork (tongue of an Adder snake)
-2 strips of Wiggentree bark
-2 teaspoons of lionfish spine

instructions:
1. Clean out your cauldron and set your flame to high heat. Fill the cauldron with 5 cups of distilled water and bring to a boil.

2. Add 5 pinches of Snakeweed leaves to your mortar and ground them down to a fine mixture. Once done, add to potion and bring heat down to a low flame.

3. Add 10 drops of dragon claw ooze to potion and stir counter clockwise six times over the course of 1 minute. If done correctly the potion should start turning a faint yellow color. Allow potion to simmer for 3 minutes.

4. Once 3 minutes have passed, add 1 forked Adder tongue to the potion and allow it to dissolve before stirring. You will know it has dissolved completely when the potion changes from light yellow to bright orange - roughly 5 minutes total. Stir ten times clockwise.

5. While waiting for the Adder's fork to dissolve in the previous step, take your strips of Wiggentree Bark and cut them into 5 centimeter wide strips. Length is not of concern. You should get roughly 2-4 strips pieces per strip.

6. Add each strip of Wiggentree bark to your cauldron, stirring 4 times clockwise after adding each strip. Potion should now be a lime green color.

7. Add 2 teaspoons of powdered lionfish spine and 2 additional Snakeweed leaves to your cauldron in immediate succession. Stir clockwise 5 times.

8. Wave your wand over the cauldron and say the activation charm "Clausum". Potion should turn from lime green to dark blue and begin to start smoking.

Your potion is now ready to use. One serving of the potion is roughly 10mLs, and the affects of the potion last for approximately 30 minutes.

Lisa sat the potion aside to cool before turning her attention back to the Professor.

As the Professor explained the next part of the lesson, she blinked thrice as he tried to speak something. She tilted her head, thoroughly confused by what he said. Then he went back and explained what he had said. Huh? She hadnt gotten that from what he had said buuuut oh well. She glanced at Violet, noticing that she didn’t have a partner, and then waved at her. “Hey Violet. Wanna partner up?
Old 07-06-2022, 01:25 AM   #45 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Default Arden and Milo
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

"I've never met a version of myself or anyone else. Like mostly I think of it like a sparkly cloud land. I... don't know if people are there." He thought about that more than he worked on his potion, paying more attention to his own murky considerations than to the ingredients going into his cauldron, to be honest. He stuck his head over the top of his cauldron again, watching for that lime green to dark blue change. Face full of steam. Oh! "Clausum"

The potion went a bit murky gray, which was close enough, and he snagged a sample. Partner? Partner? Obviously... the partner who didn't want a partner.

He bopped over to Milo and plunked his sample on the counter. "I need to know if you ever run into yourself on the other plane. I'm a bird, so I wouldn't recognize it." Or something like that. He dropped his chin onto the table top and used a single finger to draw pictures in the spilled ingredients. Here was the thing about Milo: he needed to be quiet and wait for Milo to want to talk. Maybe he never would, and he had to be okay with that.

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest
Old 07-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #46 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries
Default Lisa, yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissy Longbottom View Post
"Think of it kind of like that muggle game they have where they pull your cheeks back with a plastic contraption and you have to guess what they're trying to say. For your partner, write out what you think they were trying to say, and at the end of class when I reverse the effects of the potion we'll see how close you were!"
Violet was still looking around for a partner when she caught the last of Professor Hernandez's words. Heavens--that sounded like a really horrible game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson View Post
As the Professor explained the next part of the lesson, she blinked thrice as he tried to speak something. She tilted her head, thoroughly confused by what he said. Then he went back and explained what he had said. Huh? She hadnt gotten that from what he had said buuuut oh well. She glanced at Violet, noticing that she didn’t have a partner, and then waved at her. “Hey Violet. Wanna partner up?
Then Violet heard someone offering to be her partner, thanks the stars! "Yes, absolutely I would!" she replied. Lisa was a Ravenclaw, so she could probably be trusted to be competent, and as far as Violet knew, Lisa had no problems with her (unlike some other classmates), so this was probably a safe partnership. She cleared a space on the table next to her for Lisa to put her cauldron and, being the seventh year, felt obliged to volunteer to go first. "I'll go first, if you like--but please go get the Professor if this stuff doesn't wear off!" And with that, Violet began pouring a dose of the potion into a small beaker. She really hoped she was not going to regret this.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:35 PM   #47 (permalink)
WWW & Potterdom Mod
Newbie Mod

DMLE & DIMC
Wrackspurt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Dhruv Vihaan Khanna
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aryan Atreyu-Rehman
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nova Leigh Paton
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Brody Hawthorne-Melo

x12 x12
Default Professor! ^_^

Everyone all partnered up or didn’t want to partner with her? That was fine! Hernandez did say that they could work with him. Beaming, she approached the man. “Would you care to do me the honour of being my partner?” She wasn’t giving him much of a choice because she already had swallowed the measure of her concoction. Thank goodness the number of bark pieces mattered otherwise this would have been a disaster.

Almost immediately Aria began to feel the effects of the potion. Her jaw felt heavier and when she tried to move it, it would not budge. The Slytherin determined that she did NOT like this potion at all. So um… what should she say to Hernandez?

“Zzzzizzz ooionn zzzizz eeerlee.”

What was that??

Old 07-07-2022, 03:34 AM   #48 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1

Quote:
Everyone all partnered up or didn’t want to partner with her? That was fine! Hernandez did say that they could work with him. Beaming, she approached the man. “Would you care to do me the honour of being my partner?” She wasn’t giving him much of a choice because she already had swallowed the measure of her concoction. Thank goodness the number of bark pieces mattered otherwise this would have been a disaster.

Almost immediately Aria began to feel the effects of the potion. Her jaw felt heavier and when she tried to move it, it would not budge. The Slytherin determined that she did NOT like this potion at all. So um… what should she say to Hernandez?

“Zzzzizzz ooionn zzzizz eeerlee.”

What was that??

“Of course Miss Mclead!” Javier replied with a grin and headed over to her station to help her out. He waited patiently as she grabbed the potion, took a serving, and then…well he had NO idea what she’d said but that was the point wasn’t it! He couldn’t help but chuckle a little and gave her a reassuring nod.

”I’m going to go with…’this isn’t as easy as I thought it would be?’” He guessed with a grin. He then waved his wand, and ALL the students who were mid-activity had their jaws unlocked, just as he promised.

“Time is up everyone! If you didn’t get a chance to test your potion don’t worry, be sure to just label the vials as you usually do for grading before you head out. Read the next section in your textbook that goes into detail about adder tongues and their uses in potions,” he added before waving his wand again to open the door.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:57 PM   #49 (permalink)

DMLE
Mooncalf

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Octavius Jude Salander
Ravenclaw
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Arabella Morgenstern
Law Enforcement
Slytherindor ♛ The Crazytastic Besties ♛ Shan Watson ♛

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlice View Post
Violet was still looking around for a partner when she caught the last of Professor Hernandez's words. Heavens--that sounded like a really horrible game!

Then Violet heard someone offering to be her partner, thanks the stars! "Yes, absolutely I would!" she replied. Lisa was a Ravenclaw, so she could probably be trusted to be competent, and as far as Violet knew, Lisa had no problems with her (unlike some other classmates), so this was probably a safe partnership. She cleared a space on the table next to her for Lisa to put her cauldron and, being the seventh year, felt obliged to volunteer to go first. "I'll go first, if you like--but please go get the Professor if this stuff doesn't wear off!" And with that, Violet began pouring a dose of the potion into a small beaker. She really hoped she was not going to regret this.
Lisa would have been secretly chuffed to have known that Violet viewed her as probably competent. Certainly a good thing to be in an older year’s mind.

She nodded in response to Violet when she said that she would go first. “Alright… Uhh cheers?” she offered, waiting for her partner to drink the potion. She was curious to see the results of the potion.