FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 958 users online including...
Evaaez , Malcolmpaw , Svetlple , Stevendalo , Holmesian Feline

6 members
952 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmaster Wilber Winterbottom's Reign > Term 64: May - August 2023

Term 64: May - August 2023 Term Sixty-Four: The Future Really Makes You Sphinx (Sept 2110 - June 2111)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2020, 10:29 AM

Default Office of Professor Carton

Upon entering Professor Carton’s office, it’s easy to see that the space is every bit as organized and practical as the man himself. The walls are painted a dark, non-distracting shade of gray, and a large bookshelf takes up most of the back wall. The bookshelf is home to many textbooks on transfiguration application and theory, as well as the odd novel or two. Ask nicely, and the professor might let you borrow one!

A simple wooden desk sits in the middle of the room, complete with lots of drawers for quills, parchment, and other essential supplies. Behind the desk is a dark red leather chair where the professor can usually be found; two smaller chairs of the same color sit in front of the desk for visitors’ use. The top of the desk is mostly barren, except for a block calendar, silver inkwell, and two framed photos: one of Professor Carton with his late wife, the other of their daughter.

The most interesting feature on the desk is undoubtedly the miniature vanishing cabinet. This model was built by Professor Carton himself and, like everything else in the office, is fully functional. It is linked with an identical model sitting on a small table outside the office. Should you wish to speak to Professor Carton, simply fill out the form below, place it in the vanishing cabinet model with the door closed, and knock on the office door. Please note that only forms, notes, and small gifts for the professor should be placed in the cabinet! Abuse of this privilege by transporting inappropriate items (e.g. rude notes, dungbombs, animals, etc.) will result in the cabinet’s removal.

SPOILER!!: Form

Name:
Year:
House:
Reason for visit:

OOC: There is no waiting area for this thread. Please post your character knocking on Norman’s door, and we’ll be with you soon!
Old 06-02-2023, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Default Job Fair Consultaton - Lydia Clarke (AlwaysSnapesGirl)
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Norman sat at his desk, preparing for Lydia Clarke’s mock job interview. Opening the folder sitting on the desk in front of him, he took a moment to review the form. The girl had an interest in music… not a field in which he had much personal experience, so he made sure to compensate by acquiring as many pamphlets as possible. So many pamphlets scattered across his desk! Each one detailing a different music program at a different university.

He gathered the pamphlets, arranging them in a neat stack, and put them back in the folder. After a quick check of his watch, he glanced at the door. That knock could come at any second!

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...
Old 06-03-2023, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

St Mungos Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

MO & DMLE
Clabbert

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ezra Hensley
Gryffindor
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Florence Schultz
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Penelope Grimm
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Regina Amstern
Minister's Office

x7 x1
Baguette | there is no D in my name | TRAITORclaw | Queenie of Narnia

To say that Lydia was nervous about all the job consultation stuff...that would be entirely accurate. Even though she was sort of certain about her career in music, there was a lot of unknown in that, considering there was no guarantee that performing would work out.

Her mother had told her over and over that she should have a plan B - but her mother had also said that music was a frivolous pursuit and that she shouldn't be wasting her time with it at all. So. Lydia wasn't keen on listening to her. Even if...a small part of the back of her mind knew that a back-up plan of sorts might be a good idea.

But what would that even be? She wasn't good at anything else.

Those thoughts carried her all the way to the office door. Lydia paused, staring at the door for a second, then she took a deep breath and knocked.

together we are dangerous; together with our differences; together we are bolder, braver, stronger
Old 06-10-2023, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Default Sorry for the delay... busy work week!
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSnapesGirl View Post
To say that Lydia was nervous about all the job consultation stuff...that would be entirely accurate. Even though she was sort of certain about her career in music, there was a lot of unknown in that, considering there was no guarantee that performing would work out.

Her mother had told her over and over that she should have a plan B - but her mother had also said that music was a frivolous pursuit and that she shouldn't be wasting her time with it at all. So. Lydia wasn't keen on listening to her. Even if...a small part of the back of her mind knew that a back-up plan of sorts might be a good idea.

But what would that even be? She wasn't good at anything else.

Those thoughts carried her all the way to the office door. Lydia paused, staring at the door for a second, then she took a deep breath and knocked.
No sooner had Norman looked up, there was a knock at the door. That was probably Clarke now, but on the off chance that it wasn’t, he decided to get up and answer the door himself rather than just invite the visitor in. A slight smile spread across his face as he opened the door to find Clarke waiting. “Hello, Miss Clarke,” he greeted, holding the door open wider. “You’re right on time. Have a seat, and we’ll get started.”

He followed the girl inside, closing the door behind them, and took his seat in the big chair. “I understand that you’re interested in a music career. That’s quite a broad field. Do you have a specific job in mind?”

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...
Old 06-19-2023, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

St Mungos Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

MO & DMLE
Clabbert

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ezra Hensley
Gryffindor
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Florence Schultz
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Penelope Grimm
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Regina Amstern
Minister's Office

x7 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMadamMalfoy View Post

No sooner had Norman looked up, there was a knock at the door. That was probably Clarke now, but on the off chance that it wasn’t, he decided to get up and answer the door himself rather than just invite the visitor in. A slight smile spread across his face as he opened the door to find Clarke waiting. “Hello, Miss Clarke,” he greeted, holding the door open wider. “You’re right on time. Have a seat, and we’ll get started.”

He followed the girl inside, closing the door behind them, and took his seat in the big chair. “I understand that you’re interested in a music career. That’s quite a broad field. Do you have a specific job in mind?”
Almost immediately, the door opened, and Lydia offered a smile as it did, hoping she didn't look as nervous as she felt. "Hi, Professor," she said, before entering and taking a seat as instructed. Her posture relaxed for a second, and then she remembered this whole thing was all...important and stuff, so she sat up straight and laid her hands in her lap, feeling - and probably looking - a little more tense now, but this was...probably what she was supposed to do, right?? Maybe??

And now the professor was seated too, and they were...getting right to business. She appreciated not having to dance around the topic, but the insecurities always came creeping up whenever it was brought up. Sort of instinctively, she said, "No, sir." That wasn't entirely truthful. She knew what she wanted really...but she wasn't sure if she wanted to admit what she actually wanted...but maybe she shouldn't appear like she had no thoughts at all either... "I mean...I'm not...not sure, I guess. It feels like...there could be a lot of options, so I haven't...completely narrowed it down yet."

together we are dangerous; together with our differences; together we are bolder, braver, stronger
Old 06-24-2023, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement

Quote:
Almost immediately, the door opened, and Lydia offered a smile as it did, hoping she didn't look as nervous as she felt. "Hi, Professor," she said, before entering and taking a seat as instructed. Her posture relaxed for a second, and then she remembered this whole thing was all...important and stuff, so she sat up straight and laid her hands in her lap, feeling - and probably looking - a little more tense now, but this was...probably what she was supposed to do, right?? Maybe??

And now the professor was seated too, and they were...getting right to business. She appreciated not having to dance around the topic, but the insecurities always came creeping up whenever it was brought up. Sort of instinctively, she said, "No, sir." That wasn't entirely truthful. She knew what she wanted really...but she wasn't sure if she wanted to admit what she actually wanted...but maybe she shouldn't appear like she had no thoughts at all either... "I mean...I'm not...not sure, I guess. It feels like...there could be a lot of options, so I haven't...completely narrowed it down yet."
Norman noticed the change in Clarke’s posture but chose not to comment on it. The girl seemed awfully tense. There was no need! This was no a real job interview, and even if it was, he wouldn’t have been as strict as most real world employers. He wasn’t the type for formalities, and he knew from experience how daunting job interviews could be. There was no reason to make it any harder than it had to be!

He considered her response, nodding slightly. She was absolutely correct; there were lots of options. “That’s true. You could be a singer or play an instrument. If performing isn’t your cup of tea, you could be a producer, a music teacher, an instrument repair person…” And those were just some of the choices! “Knowing more about your interests might help us narrow the field. So tell me, do you play any instruments? Do you like to sing? What’s your favorite style of music?”

Old 07-02-2023, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

St Mungos Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

MO & DMLE
Clabbert

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ezra Hensley
Gryffindor
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Florence Schultz
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Penelope Grimm
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Regina Amstern
Minister's Office

x7 x1

Quote:

Norman noticed the change in Clarke’s posture but chose not to comment on it. The girl seemed awfully tense. There was no need! This was no a real job interview, and even if it was, he wouldn’t have been as strict as most real world employers. He wasn’t the type for formalities, and he knew from experience how daunting job interviews could be. There was no reason to make it any harder than it had to be!

He considered her response, nodding slightly. She was absolutely correct; there were lots of options. “That’s true. You could be a singer or play an instrument. If performing isn’t your cup of tea, you could be a producer, a music teacher, an instrument repair person…” And those were just some of the choices! “Knowing more about your interests might help us narrow the field. So tell me, do you play any instruments? Do you like to sing? What’s your favorite style of music?”
Lydia was definitely finding it difficult to relax, and she wondered, if she felt this nervous the whole time, she wasn't sure how she was gonna manage.

But, when he did bring up performing...she felt herself relax just a tiny bit. Did he think that was a viable option too? There was no immediate disclaimer against it, so that was refreshing.

"I love to sing. I have ever since I was little," she replied, feeling most of the tension leaving bit by bit as she continued talking. It was much more difficult to remain tense when she was talking about something she loved. "And I've been playing piano and guitar for several years now." Piano for longer, technically, but she'd really taken to the guitar in the last few years. "And I love a lot of different genres, but I guess my favorites tend to be pop, wrock...and maybe some acoustic type stuff."

Old 07-08-2023, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement

Quote:
Lydia was definitely finding it difficult to relax, and she wondered, if she felt this nervous the whole time, she wasn't sure how she was gonna manage.

But, when he did bring up performing...she felt herself relax just a tiny bit. Did he think that was a viable option too? There was no immediate disclaimer against it, so that was refreshing.

"I love to sing. I have ever since I was little," she replied, feeling most of the tension leaving bit by bit as she continued talking. It was much more difficult to remain tense when she was talking about something she loved. "And I've been playing piano and guitar for several years now." Piano for longer, technically, but she'd really taken to the guitar in the last few years. "And I love a lot of different genres, but I guess my favorites tend to be pop, wrock...and maybe some acoustic type stuff."
Norman sat back in his chair, observing Clarke’s reaction. He noticed her starting to relax a little, especially when she talked about her interests, which he was pleased to see. He didn’t intend this interview to be stressful.

He listened to her response, nodding slightly. Ah, now they were getting somewhere. He could work with this! “If you’re not shy about performing, you could be a professional singer,” he said. “Wrock and pop are both highly marketable genres, and you have an advantage in playing guitar and piano. Some singers don’t play their own instruments at all, let alone two of them! Speaking of which, I understand from your sign-up sheet that you like charms. That’s another skill you could use to your advantage. You could charm instruments, including those you don’t play, to play themselves while you sing.”

He paused a minute to allow time for the information to sink in before continuing, “I trust you know how competitive the music industry is, but some people do make it as performers. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be one of them. It will mean a lot of hard work, resilience, and uncertainty. Out of curiosity, how would you prepare for stretches of time that you don’t get a gig?”

Old 07-15-2023, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

St Mungos Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

MO & DMLE
Clabbert

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ezra Hensley
Gryffindor
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Florence Schultz
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Penelope Grimm
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Regina Amstern
Minister's Office

x7 x1

Quote:

Norman sat back in his chair, observing Clarke’s reaction. He noticed her starting to relax a little, especially when she talked about her interests, which he was pleased to see. He didn’t intend this interview to be stressful.

He listened to her response, nodding slightly. Ah, now they were getting somewhere. He could work with this! “If you’re not shy about performing, you could be a professional singer,” he said. “Wrock and pop are both highly marketable genres, and you have an advantage in playing guitar and piano. Some singers don’t play their own instruments at all, let alone two of them! Speaking of which, I understand from your sign-up sheet that you like charms. That’s another skill you could use to your advantage. You could charm instruments, including those you don’t play, to play themselves while you sing.”

He paused a minute to allow time for the information to sink in before continuing, “I trust you know how competitive the music industry is, but some people do make it as performers. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be one of them. It will mean a lot of hard work, resilience, and uncertainty. Out of curiosity, how would you prepare for stretches of time that you don’t get a gig?”
Whether it was intentional or not, there was something encouraging about just hearing the words "you could be a professional singer." The other stuff was nice to hear too, but those were the words that kept ringing in Lydia's head for a few moments.

At least until the mention of charms.

"Well...the thing is, I like charms, but...I'm not very good at them." It was frustrating that even after this many years at Hogwarts, spells were still a struggle for her. She did like the idea though. Charming other instruments to play would be a nice skill to have, if she could ever manage such a thing.

And there was the mention of how competitive the music industry was. She was very aware of it, and so she nodded. It was impossible not to think about how very possible it was that she might never succeed at it. But right now wasn't the time to fall down that rabbit hole.

"I worked at the music shop in Diagon Alley this past summer," she answered. "I'd like to continue working there if I can. Or I'm open to other jobs like that if they're not hiring at the time." Whatever she could get really. She knew it wouldn't be anything glamorous, but she'd have to do something so she wasn't stuck at home with her dad and her brother and sister forever.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Default So sorry for the huge delay!

Quote:
Whether it was intentional or not, there was something encouraging about just hearing the words "you could be a professional singer." The other stuff was nice to hear too, but those were the words that kept ringing in Lydia's head for a few moments.

At least until the mention of charms.

"Well...the thing is, I like charms, but...I'm not very good at them." It was frustrating that even after this many years at Hogwarts, spells were still a struggle for her. She did like the idea though. Charming other instruments to play would be a nice skill to have, if she could ever manage such a thing.

And there was the mention of how competitive the music industry was. She was very aware of it, and so she nodded. It was impossible not to think about how very possible it was that she might never succeed at it. But right now wasn't the time to fall down that rabbit hole.

"I worked at the music shop in Diagon Alley this past summer," she answered. "I'd like to continue working there if I can. Or I'm open to other jobs like that if they're not hiring at the time." Whatever she could get really. She knew it wouldn't be anything glamorous, but she'd have to do something so she wasn't stuck at home with her dad and her brother and sister forever.
Had Norman known what Clarke was thinking, he would’ve been pleased. He hoped to be encouraging, but one could never be sure how their words would come across. At the mention of charms, he gave the girl a slight reassuring smile. “That’s okay,” he replied. “The important thing is that you like the subject, You can always learn skills in a subject you enjoy… much easier than learning to enjoy one in which you’re skilled.” At least that had been his experience! “I can talk to Professor Sayse about extra tutoring if you like.”

Seeing Clarke’s nod, Norman saw no reason to press the issue of competition in the music industry. The point was to help her navigate the competition, not scare her away from it! Her answer got a nod of approval. “That’s a good start,” he said. “Keep working in the music field as much as you can. It’ll help you build skills to become a professional singer and give you something to fall back on if the gigs dry up. I’d also suggest you take voice lessons if you aren’t already. Atticus’s Attic in Diagon Alley offers them, or you can take classes when you get to university. Here are some brochures for you to look through.”

He opened the folder on his desk to reveal a collection of leaflets on various universities’ music programs.